Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weber IDA Carb
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Russ
Histroy:
Recently my "14" was left in the rain due to a surprise thunder strom. The car is a semi track car, so it does not have a rain gaurd, with that said you should now were this is headed. So far I have removed the carbs and disassembled them, cleaned out the water, and reassembled the units, and reattached to the motor. Fired the car up and went for a test drive.
The problem:
With the car warmed-up and traveling at a steady velocity/ RPM ( 3000< RPM) the car is spitting/ or miss firing and when the accelerator pedal is released there is a great deal of popping thru the exhaust.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Russell Turpin
803-606-7269
turpin0801@aol.com
DonTraver
You said IDA carbs, so I will assume a 6. What kind of ignition,CDI? If it is, the harness plug to the CDI module can get wet and will cause all kind of missfiring and popping. Check all your connections, blow out with air, pull dist cap and dry. I always had to wrap the module when washing the car or all that would happen. The CDI ignition is/was the biggest continuing problem I had with my 6, finally trashed it and went MSD, no more problems.
Russ
QUOTE(DonTraver @ Jul 20 2007, 09:50 AM) *

You said IDA carbs, so I will assume a 6. What kind of ignition,CDI? If it is, the harness plug to the CDI module can get wet and will cause all kind of missfiring and popping. Check all your connections, blow out with air, pull dist cap and dry. I always had to wrap the module when washing the car or all that would happen. The CDI ignition is/was the biggest continuing problem I had with my 6, finally trashed it and went MSD, no more problems.

The engine is a 2.4L FAT Four. The ingnition is MSD.
Thanks for the suggestions. I have not thought about wet connetions. Some times the simplest things can drive you crazy.
Thanks again
Russ
QUOTE(DonTraver @ Jul 20 2007, 09:50 AM) *

My bad. I typed IDA, but ment IDF Weber.
JoeSharp
Check your idle jets and Sync the carbs.
URY914
I had a puddle of water show up in the bowl of one of my IDF's. Strange but true.

Try looking there by removing the top of the carb.
rhodyguy
check for moisture in the distributor cap and around the point retaining plate in general, and the wire ends at the plugs and the cap. check timing. i don't think water is going to get into the float bowls or clog idle gets bcause the engine got wet. try a shot of water displacement formula number 40 in the suspect areas.

k
JPB
Did ya tighten them down good on the intakes and use new gaskets? beer.gif
Russ
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll givem a try and let you know which one solves the problem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.