Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who makes a metal clutch cable pulley?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RS22b
Had a slight issue over the weekend with my stock plastic piece.

i will need a metal pulley instead of the plastic one so i can actually drive my car again. This is the pulley on the passenger side of the trans case. It is actually right next to my header collector and it apparently got too hot. I stepped on the clutch and it warped the pulley outward away from the trans.

There might be something else wrong that im not seeing, but im pretty sure that this is my issue. Im not getting enough throw out of the release fork.

any help is greatly appreciated.

thx.
_billy
GWN7
I only know of one metal one in existance. It was made as a spot repair when a members plastic one broke on a road trip.

Wraping the header with a heat shield material should help

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/serv...hTerm=heat+wrap

Your collector sounds really close for it to warp the pulley
RS22b
thanks for the heads up.

If i cant find one already made i will just try and fab up a heat shield and get the wrap as well. Carrying an extra pulley wouldnt hurt either.

_billy
GWN7
Take a plastic one to a machine shop......they should be able to make some up for you
RS22b
maybe will. The car is getting towed to the shop tomorrow morning. So we will see what they come up with as far as the issue.

_billy
Dr Evil
I have a spare stock one if you need it for mock up.
mike373
I could have swore that I saw someone who makes the metal ones on here too. If so.... I would like to buy one too.

Mike
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE(RS22b @ Jul 23 2007, 05:50 AM) *

There might be something else wrong that im not seeing, but im pretty sure that this is my issue. Im not getting enough throw out of the release fork.

thx.
_billy

You can increase the throw of your fork by adding shims ( spring washers ) to the pivot ball.
brant
QUOTE(mike373 @ Jul 23 2007, 10:07 PM) *

I could have swore that I saw someone who makes the metal ones on here too. If so.... I would like to buy one too.

Mike

you might be remembering the chris foley metal one off he has.
I'm sure he could produce more of them in metal.

this is the 2nd ever that I've ever heard of failing in 25 years
there is nothing wrong with the stock one and it is lighter and cheap
I'm surprised it gets that hot. I've run both -4 and -6 race headers and never had any problems with the stock one in the 15 years I've been racing

in my case lighter is better unless your experiencing failure.

brant

Dr Evil
QUOTE(Type 4 Unleashed @ Jul 24 2007, 01:30 AM) *

QUOTE(RS22b @ Jul 23 2007, 05:50 AM) *

thx.
_billy

You can increase the throw of your fork by adding shims ( spring washers ) to the pivot ball.

Dont use split spring washers in under the pivot ball unless you want a slow constant leak. wink.gif
Larry.Hubby
You mean, like this...

Click to view attachment
sean_v8_914
seems like a bandaid. my V8 car has a Kenedy stage 3 plate that is hard as hell to push and teh plastic wheel is hanging in there. my headers ARE wrapped
toomanyinkc
The one on my car is metal and caused plenty of grief because it is was out of round enough that it would wedge tight - until I trimmed it a bit. I was shocked at the time, but if the factory ones are all plastic, this one must have been home made - and now it makes more sense.
TravisNeff
Michael Wills (MOVEQIK) has one on his car, dunno where he got it. Maybe he will chime in.
Brian Mifsud
Plastic works fine as long as it is not under a significant static load (and shouldn't be since it is a clutch. An aluminum pulley would be a nice heat resistant substitute. If the pulley is getting heated up by your exhaust however, so too is your transaxle. Perhaps a heatshield might be the best solution here?
GWN7
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jul 24 2007, 12:25 PM) *

Michael Wills (MOVEQIK) has one on his car, dunno where he got it. Maybe he will chime in.

That's the one I mentioned.....if I remember the story his broke (split) on a road trip and two brothers in a beatup truck stopped to help. Turns out they had a lathe in their garage and made a brass replacement for his car........
Cap'n Krusty
If it's hot enough the melt the pulley, what's it doing to the cable and bowden tube? I'd sure make haste to develop an effective heat shield before I spent a nickel on a pulley of any material. Heat damage can cause extreme drag on the cable as it passes through the flexible tube. Seen it plenty of times on 75-76 cars, just aft of the crossmember. Kill all the birds with one stone; do it right. The Cap'n
GeorgeRud
Contact Patrick Motorsports in Phoenix, AZ. They make one out of derlin or some other super hard type of plastic. I don't think it will melt from any header heat.
brant
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Jul 24 2007, 04:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jul 24 2007, 12:25 PM) *

That's the one I mentioned.....if I remember the story his broke (split) on a road trip and two brothers in a beatup truck stopped to help. Turns out they had a lathe in their garage and made a brass replacement for his car........

Bruce,
I don't think Mike's plastic pulley split
(they really don't fail)

his CV came off and beat the crap out of the plastic pulley necessitating a replacement in the middle of no where. (thus metal)
brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.