Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 Guys - Front Air Exhaust Cutouts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tyler
While I'm putting in my 911 front end seems like the time to finally get some kind of wire over these big gaping holes. I've seen a pattern of holes drilled instead of the big cutout that looked pretty good but it's too late for me now.
Anyone got pictures of a nice wire finish job on these cutouts?
Dr. Roger
Keep in mind that once those holes are made, your car now becomes a "no rain/no puddles" car.

have you considered a through-the-hood option?
Crazyhippy
ah yes, a big hole in the hood makes it a much better car to drive in the rain... 99% of the rain i've seen comes from above WTF.gif

The fender cutouts really dont need anything over them. adding in expanded sheetmetal will keep any critters out, but it doesn't do anything for strength, and the water still get in.

I'm on my 4th 914, 3rd watercooled w/ fender cutouts and have never felt the need for any semblance of cover.

Like w/ most conversion related things, Renegade Hybrids has what you are looking for...
IPB Image

BJH biggrin.gif
tyler
The holes have been in for some time and this is not only a "no rain/no puddles" car, but also a "no wet wash car".

tyler
This isn't for strength, cosmetic only. It look a little unfinished with the open holes, plus stash in the trunk can fall out on the road.
I think wire will probably be better for airflow and I don't think Renegade is the place to buy wire, even if it's cut to fit.

skline
I think the expanded metal is probably your best bet, it can be painted to match, or flat black even or you could get the stainless and be done with it.
dakotaewing
One of the screens I am considering using for my car is the screen used on wire trash cans - I found one at Ikea recently for $4

My only concern is that the wire my be too fine, and restrict airflow too much -
You would need 2 cans - 1 for each side of the car -
Crazyhippy
That picture is expanded sheet metal, painted to match the rest of the trunk/car.

Home Depot (Hi Trekkor) carries pieces big enough to do this.

Renegade happened to have the picture you asked for though wink.gif

BJH biggrin.gif
McMark
Thom, I like that fine mesh. Yes it will restrict air, but I'd place my bet that it would be fine regardless.

I like welding in wire mesh. happy11.gif

IPB Image
dakotaewing
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 29 2007, 04:27 PM) *

Thom, I like that fine mesh. Yes it will restrict air, but I'd place my bet that it would be fine regardless.

I like welding in wire mesh. happy11.gif

IPB Image

I was actually going to "frame" the mesh with another piece of sheet metal on the inside of the fender well - That mesh may be too"fine" to tack weld, so I
would use high strength epoxy to connect the mesh to the frame - (4000 lb tensel), and either tack weld or screw in the "frame" with the attached mesh -
SirAndy
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Jul 28 2007, 05:07 PM) *

ah yes, a big hole in the hood makes it a much better car to drive in the rain... 99% of the rain i've seen comes from above WTF.gif

let me spell this out for'ya:

S H R O U D

it's really not at all that hard. many modern cars do that too. you know, the ones that come with a Wasserpumper V8 (or similar) from the factory ...
rolleyes.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.