Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: o.k. this is for you swivel foot .060 removal vets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orange914
i'm relitively sure you remove .060 from the base of the foot pad itself... right? i just took to the machine shop and now after questions i'm second guessing it. they seemed to think removal at the bottom of the rocker is the .060 removal area. i think that could either affect the valve geomitry or the threads would be .060 further up into the hole -meaning less threaded area in the rocker. i just need confirmation before doing .060 off the pad. poke.gif idea.gif confused24.gif

by the way what kind of $ has this cost others? we talked and the machinist thought the best way to remove .060 was to use a tubular peice that is threaded to hold the swivel foot in the valve stem lathe.

Click to view attachment
davep
reverse that. it is the rocker arm face that gets shaved
orange914
QUOTE(davep @ Jul 31 2007, 08:06 PM) *

reverse that. it is the rocker arm face that gets shaved

SOOO... this area wouldn't be as precision of a grind as doing the pad. that being said, i could reasonably us a grinder (carefull not to over heat) and remove with out too much worry?
mightyohm
I used a flat file this weekend to take some more material off of a rocker. It doesn't even need to be flat as far as I can tell, since the adjuster will still thread into the right position, you're not moving the hole.

Borderline
I used a bench grinder. Didn't take long at all. But you remove the material from the rocker arm!! not the pad. smile.gif
orange914
whew! thanks guys, i almost wasted a good set of swivels
davep
The whole idea of removing material is to allow the swivel adjuster to be screwed into the rocker arm a little farther. This allows sufficient room for adjustment. Taking anything off of the swivel foot would have destroyed it.
Aaron Cox
is it me... or do you have pictured 2 911 swivel feet, and then mazda courier adjusters in the rockers?
G e o r g e
AA

your slipping this has been discussed already beer.gif

this message is brought to you by
orange914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Aug 1 2007, 03:53 PM) *

is it me... or do you have pictured 2 911 swivel feet, and then mazda courier adjusters in the rockers?

yes the 911 swivels represent the set i picked up. the others in question are just that -in question-. brando thinks they look like bugpack for type I. they actually are out of sir andys 2.0 bottom end stuff i bought from him. that motor was built by someone other than andy (p.o.?) and reportedly the cam went flat on andy at 1000 miles. good chance this may have run havic with the valve train geometry?
orange914
QUOTE(George H. @ Aug 1 2007, 04:01 PM) *

AA

your slipping this has been discussed already beer.gif

this message is brought to you by

slipping? if ya bother to read the other post carefully i was asking about the mystery "swivel foot". at the time i was under the impression the foot itself was modified .060. yesterday the machine shop itself made me think it though and second guess myself. hense the recent question.
i'm on this site not only becouse of the GREAT 914 owners but also becouse of the wealth of educated information i highly respect. the questions may seem ignorant at times but no one is born knowing it all. the only dumb question is the one not asked. huh.gif
G e o r g e
Mike

my post was to AA not you

i said he was slipping, as in had not read every thread on the board ( like a good Admin)

wavey.gif
orange914
QUOTE(George H. @ Aug 1 2007, 05:03 PM) *

Mike

my post was to AA not you

i said he was slipping, as in had not read every thread on the board ( like a good Admin)

wavey.gif

i appologize, i guess i took it wrong chair.gif although the my other thread wasnt the same as this question dry.gif
mike thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.