Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fiberglass the 914 Dash
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Brad Roberts
Sorry. No FORD parts coming from me...LOL

I wont have pricing until I ship some stock components to him.

B
Gint
I want STOCK dash replacements out of real CF and a source that I can have intake manifolds made from CF.

I want one!
DuckRyder
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Dec 18 2003, 07:21 PM)
Sorry. No FORD parts coming from me...LOL

sad.gif

Aw come on, it is worthy; it has a big ass cam in it and all. Goes Rumpty Rumpty

Besides, it is a FE engine, which is the bastard child of Ford kind of like 914's are.

I need those Porsche valve covers too though, and the dash, console, and door panels would be cool too.

Just think how much faster I will be with my wallet so light.
sj914
The lower dash pad in CF would be nice too. smile.gif
Eddie Williams
I'd like CF rainshild air cleaners for my 6.
bernbomb914
I would like a targa top made from carbon fiber and Kelivar. it would be lite and strong. maybe sandwich some insulation between to cut the heat transfer.

Bernie
DuckRyder
How about a Carbon -6GT front bumper, valance and maybe a "SE" spioler?
Jeroen
wub.gif
seanery
mmmmm....yummy....no paint necessary!!
Gint
OK Yaroon, You keep teasin us with that photo of the CF rear bumper. What's the scoop?
Jeroen
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 20 2003, 01:31 AM)
OK Yaroon, You keep teasin us with that photo of the CF rear bumper. What's the scoop?

The scoop is... I'd like one biggrin.gif

This one is sold by Mittelmotor.
I just had the pic...

cheers,

Jeroen
Gint
Yeah, I know. You've posted that pic before, but I don't ever remember hearing where it came from.
chatsmiley.gif
Thanks!
Qarl
Carbon Joe made me carbon fiber rainshields. Vacuum bagged all CF. Really high quality and light.

IPB Image
seanery
I want those for my -4!
Curvie Roadlover
Andy, What guage is this? Is it your artificial horizon?
Qarl
Merry Christmas, Seanery...

4-cylinder weber CF covers
Brad Roberts
Getty does a CF rear bumper also.

B
fiid
Sorry to rain on the parade but don't you need Carbon Fibre & Kevlar Sandwich for all interior components to stop splintering in accidents??

Just don't forget. You don't want surgeons picking that sh** out.

I am wondering about a new dash plate that does away with the left hand fuel guage and repositions the RPM and Speedo in the middle

so ( OO ) instead of (OOO). I think this will make most of both guages visable with the momo wheel, and then you can relocate the fuel and temp to small 2.25" guages either on the sides or down in the center console. IMHO the center console looks awesome with loads of little guages on it.

Ideas? thoughts? Laser cutting equipment?
914Timo
I have done this one, but it will be in my friend Mika´s car. I have allready done the front bumper for my car and I should do the rear one before next summer.

Brad is right about the differences between real CF parts and GF parts with the top layer from CF, but there are other differences too than the vacuum.

My parts are all GF parts with the top layer from CF, but I like them. I have done them myself. My car is 100% street car, but I like the look of CF. I have not used CF because it is stronger or lighter. With real CF parts I could save 1 pound or 2 per bumper. I give a shit to that. I have allready saved many many pounds when I chanced the original ones to my present GF bumpers. I think nobody really need CF parts in stret car. The racing cars are an other story...

But hay, thats only my opinion and what do I know..... mueba.gif
URY914
If you're doing the CF pieces yourself, you better have the mold perfect because you can't do any touch-up sanding on the finished piece. That is if the CF layer/side is against your mold. You can't sand on the CF side or you won't see the CF layer.

You have to do twice the work on the mold to get it right and than do a few test pieces with F/G to check for mold flaws.

Paul
seanery
close Karl, but real rainshields for a -4 is what I'm looking for. I've got no raintray, so they would come in handy.
maf914
Hey, Quarl, When are you going to move the 914 tub into the dining room? laugh.gif

Brad, a CF dash in the stock 914 configuration sounds like an excellent idea. smilie_pokal.gif Even FG would be fine for those who don't care about the CF look.

Here is a link to some of Carbon Joe's stuff. I thought he offered a set of 4-cyl rain shields but they're not shown here.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/sunshine79vw/ls...otos.yahoo.com/

BTW, on the Shoptalk T4rum, I think Jake indicated that Carbon Joe was helping with his upright carbon cooling shrouds.

Mike
914Timo
If you're doing the CF pieces yourself, you better have the mold perfect because you can't do any touch-up sanding on the finished piece. That is if the CF layer/side is against your mold. You can't sand on the CF side or you won't see the CF layer.

You have to do twice the work on the mold to get it right and than do a few test pieces with F/G to check for mold flaws.

Yep, you nailed it Paul. The mold have to be perfect. It is a lot easier to do normal F/G parts and finnish them by painting. Then you can fill the airbubles and scratches with putty. One problem with CF look parts is that the CF layer must be straight. If the fibers are not straight, they dont look good. What makes this even more difficult is, that you cant straighten them after you have put the CF to the mold. It have to go right in the first try. Dont ask me how I know.
Jeroen
Karl,

Did those come with base-plates, or was it just the rainshields?

cheers,

Jeroen
jridder
>Just don't forget. You don't want surgeons picking that sh** out.

I certainly agree with that. I would never have any fibergalss or carbon fiber on my interior. Maybe Kevlar. It looks way too "rice" to me anyways.
SirAndy
QUOTE(fiid @ Dec 20 2003, 12:58 AM)
Sorry to rain on the parade but don't you need Carbon Fibre & Kevlar Sandwich for all interior components to stop splintering in accidents??

Just don't forget.  You  don't want surgeons picking that sh** out.

bs.gif we had that talk before.

here's a simple answer:

if i hit something hard enough to make my CF dash shatter into a gazillion pieces, i most certainly have much bigger problems than CF stuck in my skin.

any idea how much you have to deform a CF dash before it will shatter?
by that time the 2 ton SUV will have traversed "right through you" anyways.

Andy
Brad Roberts
What ?? we dont drive Indy cars on the street ?? LOL

B
Qarl
Jeroen... just the top shields, I used regular K&N base plates.
Aaron Cox
does anyone make /4 watershields? cant be that hard

f/g dudes! step on up!
Eric_Shea
I'm still offended by the pictures of Eddie "fisting" his gap... blink.gif
Brad Roberts
OK. The people we contacted will point me to a place more setup to handle our low volume purchase of 914 parts.

Somebody remind me 10 times to follow up on this.

I'm not sure how busy these people are.

B
redshift
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 22 2003, 05:59 PM)
I'm still offended by the pictures of Eddie "fisting" his gap... blink.gif

I'm disturbed by that painting, Leonardo..

blink.gif

M
maf914
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Dec 23 2003, 12:19 AM)
OK. The people we contacted will point me to a place more setup to handle our low volume purchase of 914 parts.

Somebody remind me 10 times to follow up on this.

I'm not sure how busy these people are.

B

Yo, Brad! I'm just gonna remind you once, at least for now! laugh.gif

Mike
Brad Roberts
"Thanks" Mike...LOL

B
Eric_Shea
I'm disturbed by that painting, Leonardo..

You can go poke out your minds eye now... laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.