Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fiberglass the 914 Dash
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Scott Carlberg
Just out of curiosity, I stopped at one of the busier stereo shops here in Modesto yesterday.

I asked about having the dash in my 914 Fiberglassed, as I'm seeing this done quite often
on the NOPI/SuperStreet/Super2NR tv shows on SpikeTV on the weekends.

Not really THAT interested in having it done, more interested in the cost to do so.

After looking over my dash for a couple of minutes, the guy says....

"you're probably looking at about $600.00 before paint".

Damn, where are these young kids getting ALL that money to put into their cars these days?
biosurfer1
that seems a little high, i had some fiberglass panels made for the truck of my old car and there was probably twice as much material used in those than there would be in a dash and they were only $300.
machina
get some resin and cloth and do it yourself.

ask paul.

dr
SirAndy
i paid $200 for my Carbon Fiber Dash (from getty) ...

IPB Image
IPB Image
Scott Carlberg
SirAndy,
that is a 914 dash, right? a 5-gauge 914 dash, NOT a 911 dash made to fit into the 914?

I'd forgotten you had that, $200 >>> Sweet! clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Scott Carlberg @ Dec 17 2003, 05:23 PM)
that is a 914 dash, right? a 5-gauge 914 dash, NOT a 911 dash made to fit into the 914?

ayup, a 914 dash with a 911 gauge cluster. made to fit the 914. one piece, looks very nice. wub.gif

Andy
Scott Carlberg
Andy,
you need some of these next.....
SirAndy
QUOTE(Scott Carlberg @ Dec 17 2003, 05:57 PM)
Andy,
you need some of these next.....

thought about it, but i like the stock look better, somehow.

oh my gawd, i'm turning into a CW. aaaahhhhhhhhhh barf.gif
ChrisReale
I was looking at Andy's acr the other day, and it indeed does look nice. Now all he has to do is ditch the Monza muffler.... smilie_pokal.gif
Eddie Williams
Andy,

How does yours fit in this area?

Mine seems to have a large gap. I was wondering if yours was the same.

I also got mine from Getty, but in FG. I didn't cut the cluster frame from my dash, but I will if thats the problem.
Aaron Cox
whats the point of running a ghetty dash AND a center console...

you'd have oil pressure twicw, 2 clocks, etc...

what gauges are you running?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eddie Williams @ Dec 17 2003, 07:03 PM)
How does yours fit in this area?

Mine seems to have a large gap. I was wondering if yours was the same.

I also got mine from Getty, but in FG. I didn't cut the cluster frame from my dash, but I will if thats the problem.

yes, i have the gap too. you can't see it unless you stick your head between your feet but it's there. doesn't bother me tho.

as for the steel "hoop" i had to cut it, otherwise the 2 outer gauges won't fit right.

WARNING: blurry picture ahead!
IPB Image
Eddie Williams
May be I didn't get mine from Getty... mine is also not smothe on top like yours. Here is the afore mentioned gap, it looks like part of the design. hmm...
Gint
I'm startin to think you take blurry pictures on purpose Andy. blink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(acox914 @ Dec 17 2003, 07:05 PM)
whats the point of running a ghetty dash AND a center console...
you'd have oil pressure twicw, 2 clocks, etc...
what gauges are you running?

eventually, the center console will be reworked into a more usefull storage space.
i might even move the CD player down there. we'll see.
for now, all gauges i need are in the 5-cluster. except for a head-temp gauge.
but i don't need no stinking clocks, so that space needs to filled. (for now, i have a broken 911 clock in there)

Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eddie Williams @ Dec 17 2003, 07:33 PM)
Here is the afore mentioned gap, it looks like part of the design. hmm...

yes, on mine too. i have two "latches" on the edges that wrap around and allow you to attach the front to the actual dash support, but between them is a gap (not visible tho)...

Andy
Eddie Williams
oops... here's the pic of the gap... maybe I'm being anal...
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eddie Williams @ Dec 17 2003, 07:35 PM)
oops... here's the pic of the gap... maybe I'm being anal...

yepp, same on mine ...
Eddie Williams
ok, i'll get my pretty pink panties out of a wad!

I swear I'm not a CW!!!
redshift
That bothers me.. smile.gif

M
Eddie Williams
QUOTE(redshift @ Dec 17 2003, 10:05 PM)
That bothers me.. smile.gif

What the gap or my pretty pink panties??
redshift
... the gap in your pretty pink panties.

blink.gif

M
Eddie Williams
thanks for noticing.... I'm glad you think they're pretty...
redshift
I wasn't looking actually... you just can't help noticing..

M
seanery
i don't really see a gap, more of a clearspace for the glove box lid. Am I missing something?
campbellcj
Andy - thanks for the pics; I think I have just become a Getty 911 dash convert! I currently have a very cracked dash and my auxiliary gauges are in the radio area, which is not optimal.

I know this is OT but I am wondering if Getty carbon lids left unpainted would be too "rice"?!?!?! I have already talked to Neil about picking up some lids.

ALSO -- I want to get an SCCA (4-6") lip style rear spoiler in CF if I go with the CF lids. Anybody know who makes those? I am positive I have seen one somewhere, but can't remember...
seanery
check sheridan on the rear spoiler.
doesn't drew have the cf hoods raw on his car?
Eddie Williams
this is too rice
Eddie Williams
QUOTE(seanery @ Dec 17 2003, 11:09 PM)
i don't really see a gap, more of a clearspace for the glove box lid. Am I missing something?

see my fingers disappear into the gap!!! unsure.gif
seanery
i can see now. hmmm why wouldn't they finish that off?

That should bother you horribly! laugh.gif
campbellcj
QUOTE(seanery @ Dec 17 2003, 10:17 PM)
check sheridan on the rear spoiler.
doesn't drew have the cf hoods raw on his car?

I didn't think Roger Sheridan did any c/f stuff?

I know he does the spoiler I want in f/g - but if I go the polished raw c/f lid route, I would definitely not want a gelcoated f/g spoiler riveted to it. If it's all gonna get painted, no biggie either way...

FWIW I am going to try the f/g "skin" targa top from Peter at Rennspeed. It is 1/2 the price of Roger's. I think I can drop 200 more lbs from this car without a helluva lot of effort (but with a fair amount of $$).
Mueller
Scott, the material is less than $50 for everything needed, the rest of the cost is: time, labor and huge profit 'cause it's cool and new smile.gif
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Dec 17 2003, 09:13 PM)
ALSO -- I want to get an SCCA (4-6") lip style rear spoiler in CF if I go with the CF lids. Anybody know who makes those? I am positive I have seen one somewhere, but can't remember...

Chris,
page 2 from this link: GT Racing
Brad Roberts
OH MY GOD. 195.00 for the Aluminum pedal board ?? We have them in the vendors area for under 50$. laugh.gif

B
seanery
at the very bottom of that GT ad is a yellow and black 914 with a sheridan body and Ultimate 914 sticker! laugh.gif
JmuRiz
I've always liked the look of carbon fibre (probably going to do my dash face in some). I think CF lids, front and back, would look slick...seeing as it's a race car and all. I also think it would be cool to run the Balsa reenforced fiberglass lids I've seen before (a-la 914/6 GT). I used to see them on E-bay from time to time.

Only worry about CF is that is shatters in a crash, granted you have a windshield, so it shouldn't be that big a deal. Wonder if Getty or GT racing's CF is better.
jonwatts
...must have andy's dash...must....must

I have a new (never installed) OEM dash that I don't want to put in my car because I'd have to cut it to go around the cage. It's for sale if anyone is interested. I haven't put it in the classifieds for fear of having to ship it to Nigeria along with a ticking box of TNT.
Brad Roberts
Nathan,

Most of these CF pieces you are seeing.. are not really CF. They are fiberglass wrapped with one layer of CF to create the look. Not much worry involved with shattering.

The real CF pieces I have seen (factory Porsche race stuff for latest GT cars). Is the typical CF airplane type that is formed and heated in a autoclave.

I promise GT/Getty/and others dont have a autoclave. You are buying fiberglass wrapped in CF (from what I have seen).

We have one TRUE CF piece in the shop. It is very light and very thin. I can hold the two fan shrouds side by side and you would know EXACTLY which piece was CF and which one was FG wrapped with one layer of CF.

B
machina
I don't think you need an autoclave to fabricte a strong and light CF part. It is possible to vacuum bag in the shop to compress the layers and remove excess resin.

Most of the CF parts for production and street base race cars do not have a significant structural load on them. Something like a dash or even a fender really just has to hold its shape and resist some wind load if it is exposed to the airstream. I have laid up CF parts with several layers that are light and stiff.

major assemblies like complete monocoques or suspension parts obviously would need autoclaves and a great deal of engineering and equipment to fabricate.

dr
Brad Roberts
Correct.. you dont have to have one (autoclave). The fan shroud I have was laid up wet and probably vaccuum bagged. There is a BIG difference between a FG parts covered with a layer of CF and a true CF part (which was what I was trying to explain..LOL)

Somebody post a pic of Carbon Joes T4 valve covers

B
DuckRyder
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 17 2003, 09:09 PM)
i paid $200 for my Carbon Fiber Dash (from getty) ...

IPB Image
IPB Image

wub.gif wub.gif

How the hell am I ever supposed to get out of debt with you people posting shit like this?

headbang.gif

confused24.gif
Brad Roberts
You wont.

I dont recommend the Getty dash. WAY TOO MUCH work and you cant see the gauges for the steering wheel. I like the look.. but now I have watched/participated in 3 installs now. They suck. They look nice.. but man it is not worth it (in my book)

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Dec 18 2003, 11:43 AM)
WAY TOO MUCH work and you cant see the gauges for the steering wheel.

considerably less work if you don't have a roll-cage and a late model car (73 and up).

the CF dash was molded from a late model dash and needs some tweaking to fit a early car.
also, because of my roll-cage, i had to cut it in the corners.
that was a lot of "fitting".

brad is right about the gauges, but nothing has changed from my old dash.
couldn't see the gauges there either. sad.gif
it's the small momo steering wheel that blocks the view to some gauges.
solution is easy. ROTATE the gauges until you can see all the important schtuff!

i love it! wub.gif
Andy
JmuRiz
Here ya go (carbon joe valve covers):
IPB Image

Wonder if he would do some lids, or dashes for us?
Brad Roberts
From what I gather (getting him to do anything is tough) I think he is swamped with real work (like race car stuff).

I have a carbon guy here in NorCal (the guy cut the cast off of his own arm and laid up a CF cast for himself when he broke his arm)

His kids have a small CF swimming pool that he made for them.

B
campbellcj
OK...so maybe I'll pass on the Getty (911) dash. The gauges would be an undesired extra expense too.

Scott - thanx for the GT link, but that is not the spoiler I was thinking of. It is hard to see in the pic but I think that is the traditional "GT" style foam triangle style, glassed into the lid? The one I am thinking of is basically just a thin flap that can be riveted to the lid. I know Brad & Bontempi have used them in f/g; don't wanna get this thread any further OT so I will dig in the archives.
Brad Roberts
Chris. I pulled the strings on my carbon guy.

I want STOCK dash replacements out of real CF and a source that I can have intake manifolds made from CF.

He does CF sail boats and the such.. should be able to pull off what we need.

B
campbellcj
I would be up for a stock dash cap in c/f if the price were reasonable. Maybe door panels like those above too. The TWM style stacks will prolly have to wait for my next car...this one has to stay carb'ed if I get into any vintage/production class stuff.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Dec 18 2003, 02:57 PM)
Chris. I pulled the strings on my carbon guy.

I want STOCK dash replacements out of real CF and a source that I can have intake manifolds made from CF.

He does CF sail boats and the such.. should be able to pull off what we need.

B

whats the estimated cost for that....

i like the look of the ghetty but i have a console and really dont need extra gauges...
DuckRyder
How about:

1) Carbon Engine Tin for 2.0-4 and -6
2) Carbon Valve covers for the same
3) Carbon Dashes.
And a pair of one of these these in carbon for my truck:

IPB Image

IPB Image

burnout.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.