Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Now that's it's running
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BahnBrenner914
So my teener ('76 2.0) is now driveable so I've been buzzing around driving.gif and it's been quite enjoyable w00t.gif . But there's a couple issues.

How high on the temp gauge (oil) should it run regularly? I haven't been driving it more than about 20 miles at a time, but it's gotten up to half way and then I was at my destination. Am I just being overly cautious? I'm cruising around between 2 and 4 K on the revs. Should I be closer to 4 for more air flow, or is 2 to 3 ok?

Should I be able to hear the fuel pump whining? I only hear it whining sometimes.

I've had an intermitent bog down of power, usually in 3rd gear. It's when I give it throttle at 2 or 3K rpm, it bogs for a second and then pics back up. It doesnt happen all the time, just sometimes.

I also have weird idle issues. I've had it die on me a couple times when cold, hunting idle, high idle (1500 or so). Its usually ok, just a few times I've had the issues (maybe 10% )
Joe Ricard
I'm guessing your car still has Fuel injection.
Bog can be from going lean just as you open the throttle. One of the D-jet bubbas shuld be along soon to tell you about the TPS.
I Normally runn 2500 RPM minimum cruise on the freeway 3200.
I just don't know what the gauge translates to so I got a VDO oil temp gauge with matching sender. 180-220 is fine.

You could check your oil cooler for dirt and crud. underneath the car shine a flash light up through it.
rhodyguy
i think you're lugging your engine a bit. i roll @ 3.k at a minimum. appropriate gear, no matter how fast you're going.

k
BahnBrenner914
ah, Justification for driving faster driving.gif w00t.gif
rhodyguy
no... wrong. correct gear for the legal speed. also, stay off I-5 when traffic is choked. use priority surface roads.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.