Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing the Throttle cable...What should I do?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
purple
hey Guys,

My boss, the guy who got me into the porsche lifestyle, said that I should replace the throttle cable on my car, as the linkage is A: mickey mouse and B: very sticky.

The throttle sticks a LOT at low levels and like the first 10 % is not available to me.

I'll attach a picture to show what I'm working with.

My question is...how should I change the cable? do i pull from the engine bay, or from the pedal cluster? Do you guys have any tips for this process?

Thanks

Purple
jasons
Its pretty easy really. You feed it back at the fire wall and find it up in the tunnel. Main trick is, it runs close to the clutch cable and its easy to wrap the gas cable around the clutch cable. Sometimes this is the source of sticky throttles too. Also, check your gas pedal. The hinge rusts, and that can cause sticky throttles as well.
MoveQik
I just replaced mine. I unhooked it from the pedal and pulled it to the back of the car. Installing it I started in the back and fed it forward up through the tunnel. It was a little difficult to find the end of the cable when I had it all the way up front so I fished around with a magnet to get it. That was the hardest part....so it is pretty easy overall.
purple
is it possible to wrap some string around it before you pull it out and then be able to easily fish it back thru the tunnel using the string?

I used to do this with adding network drops, it would work with this too wouldn't it?

So, from the engine bay I pull. Thanks.

How do you pull it off the gas pedal?
SLITS
You can also tie a length of string / cord to the pedal end before you pull it out. this way you can just pull it back in without fouling the clutch cable.
purple
great minds think alike, eh slits?
SLITS
QUOTE(purple @ Aug 2 2007, 06:56 AM) *

great minds think alike, eh slits?

Yup.

The pedal end is a ball socket .... just snap it off the ball with a screwdriver or ?. You need to remove the ball socket and lock nut prior to pulling it out of the car from the rear.

Disconnect barrel locknut at throttle body (7 or 8 mm). Disconnect 10 mm locknuts (sandwich) that secure sheath to bracket. Push sheath/cable back down thru hole in pass side sheet metal. Pull (assuming it is disconnected at pedal end).

purple
Just curious...

My pedal box (clutch specifically) is squeaking like crazy...should I rebuild the cluster with bronze bushings and replace the clutch cable and thrashed gas pedal while I'm in there?

I've got a really nice rennline pedal board I'm putting in. I'll do a writeup about replacing the factory one and refinishing the clutch stopper if you guys are interested.

I figure I'll just wax it all out in one swoop so I dont have to go down there for a LONG while...
SLITS
Bronze is nice and solves a lot of problems. Punching the roll pin out to disassemble the pedal cluster is prolly the hardest part.

If you look in the classifieds there are a few people that would be willing to sell you a powder coated rebuilt one in case you're made of bucks and lazy.

PS .... you may want to change your name to Aubergine, lest you piss off the individuals with purple cars.

Ok, it's a joke .... just ask Rusty (Lawrence).
EdwardBlume
If your throttle cable is really sticky ie stuck, you may have rust in the line. That case, you need to tilt the front up and spray wd40 or someother cleaner in there to flush out the rust. While you are in there, look at the line itself and see if it has any kinks or bends. Fix or straighten as needed.

If you do have issues along the line, getting the cable back in could be tough.

Lastly, make sure your accelerator has the pedal stop attached. If you stomp on it and you don't have the stop, you'll be looking for a new plenum soon.
purple
I really was going to get one of the rebuilt ones...I'd love to do it myself, but the box looks terrible and I cant find anyplace to powdercoat things in houston for less than $125. I figure for 25 more I can have it all squared away!

The name purple comes from the counter-strike clan days. I wanted to have the longest name on the server so I could see quickly what my stats were. I chose PurpleFenderBender because I dropped my american standard strat, which happens to be purple (midnight mist) that day. I shortened it over the years, and now I handle all my business that way.

Getting calls from recruiters looking for 'PurpleFenderMan' is kinda funny though
michel richard
The problem with tying a string to the cable is that the tube in which the cable slides is really thin, and it's easy to get things stuch in there. In my mind, the string thing is not necessary and is potential trouble.

I've done it both ways.

YMMV, of course.

purple
I actually can stomp the hell out of the throttle without worry...since I have a carb on there, a really HOT one... a weber progressive tongue.gif

I've sprayed WD-40 down the line and it frees the line up for about 5 minues and then it starts to get sticky again. I'm just going to chuck the damn thing since it's a hack job the way it's setup at the carb anyway. I'll attach a pic in a second.

AND, since I'm down there futzing with stuff anyway....how does one determine if there is a 19mm master cylinder? I dont think I have one, since the brakes are spongy at first, but work very well after that. I figure since I'm down there...might as well take care of EVERYTHING

purple
Pic as promised, sorry for the crappy lighting, i'll get a better pic up someday...
Cap'n Krusty
19mm master cylinders DON'T solve spongy brakes. Proper bleeding does that. You need to repair the pedal cluster, and probably replace the master cylinder because that's what took out the cluster. The Cap'n
purple
Would this be the correct master cylinder? Is it priced well?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=018
SLITS
Krusty may be crusty but he is correct.

ATE stamps the size at the mounting end on the barrel of the MC .... 17, 19
purple
Would the 'terry cables' be the best for the clutch?

So a new MC is the trick... I can already easily skid the car on the brakes, but I think that you're right about it destroying the pedal bushings, and the tires are shit, so they'd skid easily.
Trevorg7
I replaced both my throttle and clutch cables with Terry Cables. Both were fairly easy to replace and work great. They do cost a bit more than stock.

T
purple
Anybody besides me think that linkage is an abomination?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.