Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sad day another driver 914 bites the dust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Found out last year that my wifes cousin has a 76 914 that he is restoring. His 20yr son bought a 74 2.0 last fall, in good driver shape. This past monday Rick (wifes cousin, father of 20yr) was driving the 74 when on a on ramp to I94 he hit a slick spot which caused the 914 to spin nose first into the cement median. pinch.gif

Rick was able to walk away, well sort of, he broke his right heal bone. The car is totaled. Rick finds out on monday if they will need to operate to fix his heal. I haven't seen the car yet, but I will post some pictures when I do.

Police said he wasn't speeding, they found a big oil spot on the ramp that Rick didn't see. Sad to see another 914 bit the dust, but at least Rick will be fine in time.
hwgunner
Sorry to hear about your wifes cousin. Hope that he does not need surgery. Sorry to hear about the car also. sawzall-smiley.gif

rhodyguy
front end impact into a jersey barrier and a broken foot to show for it. tough cars. driver friendly. your cousin is very fortunate.

k
EdwardBlume
Bad news indeed. I hope your cousin is pushing his healed heel on the gas of another teener soon.

Its totally not his fault. I did the same thing in Seattle, made the turn to get on an onramp, there was oil on the road and I did a 180 in a 2WD Toyota truck. Luckily I missed everything and the car behind me skidded to a stop 6 inches from my hood.

There is nothing you can do when you hit oil on the road, or see a nice looking girl.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Aug 3 2007, 10:24 PM) *

Found out last year that my wifes cousin has a 76 914 that he is restoring. His 20yr son bought a 74 2.0 last fall, in good driver shape. This past monday Rick (wifes cousin, father of 20yr) was driving the 74 when on a on ramp to I94 he hit a slick spot which caused the 914 to spin nose first into the cement median. pinch.gif

Rick was able to walk away, well sort of, he broke his right heal bone. The car is totaled. Rick finds out on monday if they will need to operate to fix his heal. I haven't seen the car yet, but I will post some pictures when I do.

Police said he wasn't speeding, they found a big oil spot on the ramp that Rick didn't see. Sad to see another 914 bit the dust, but at least Rick will be fine in time.

That's bad news Garold. Can you get the VIN so it can be retired here?
Tobra
Calcaneal fractures can be pretty bad. Almost a certainty to get derangement of the joint and accelerated deterioration. Boy is on crutches 2 months minimum, no matter what they tell him. No weight on that foot at all. Probably some interesting radiographs, I expect it was rather unique mechanism of injury.
flesburg
Anything can be fixed if the rest of it is rust free.

Get some pictures and post them. Tell him not to let the insurance company have it,
but to buy back the wreck.

Parts alone might well be worth it and I have seen some "totaled" 914s that were very fixable.

Don't let another 914 go to the crusher.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.