Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Howard's Decker Canyon Road Video
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
abbott295
I don't spend a lot of time here and didn't know if I had come across Howard before, but I was reading through all the messages of remembrance about him and someone had posted a link to the Decker Canyon Road video. I had seen that and commented on it at the time. I guess I knew Howard and will miss him not being around.

I will be in Southern California this week, arriving Wed. and leaving Sun. I (and my wife and 3 year old grandson) will be there because we have two sons in Drum and Bugle Corps Championships which will be happening in Pasadena at the Rose Bowl.

We won't be having a lot of spare time and don't know our way around and I hadn't even figured on asking about possibilties of what to do while out there, but the video makes me ask, "Would it be doable?' in honor of Howard.

Also have to get to a beach, Pacific ocean. But is that road anywhere close enough to LA/Pasdena to do in a short morning?

My wife and a brother-in-law saw the video and both thought it was in Guatemala. The landscape and road look like one we know there.

Thanks all.

Regards, Alfred
brer
definitely doable.
Decker is a tricky road, but worth the ride.
Head out Malibu canyon way and you can hit a couple well known routes.

abbott295
Can someone give me some more help please? At least tell me what general direction from Pasadena and an approximate distance? Never been to California! And I don't think I'm going to DisneyLand either. Check out dci.org regiment.org and spiritdrumcorps.org
GWN7
From Pasadena head West on the 134 which turns into the 101....when you hit Westlake (about 50 miles) turn South on 23 (S Westlake Blvd) it turns into Decker Canyon which runs into Mulholland Hwy (where most of the services have taken place)........ Mulholland runs into a state beach on the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) Stop, see the ocean (don't drink the water) then take the PCH South to Latigo Canyon Road then right on Kana Rd. back to Mulholland (turn right) and follow Mulholland to Valmar Rd. which takes you back to the 101

I went on the cruise a couple years ago when out there....well worth the drive..I just wish I was in a 914 instead of the POS convert I rented.

Just a thought...someone who lives closer might have a better route to plan out for you smile.gif
Carlitos Way
Actually, you did a great job on the explanation Bruce. I personally would take Kanan or Malibu canyon down to PCH, hang out, see the ocean and then continue North on PCH. Just after Zuma beach you will see Mulholland (right after Leo Carrilo State Park), where you can turn right and enjoy a nice ride on Mulholland Hwy. Continue on Mulholland until you pass the Rock Store and you will find your way back out to the 101 Freeway. Just follow the signs.
Crazyhippy
IN a rental, w/ wife and kids, i'd say Kanan, and Las Virgenes/Malibu Canyon would be a better route. It's no where near as fun in a teen, but is not by any means boring.

The orange road across the top is the 101. City is Agoura if you want to play w/ maps.google.com
Click to view attachment
Cap'n Krusty
Might wanna head down the coast a bit to Topanga Canyon Road and have lunch or dinner at The Reel Inn. You'll not forget it! The Cap'n
abbott295
Thank you, guys. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Now it's up to me to work this in. Apparently one of the boys is in San Diego, apparently in the opposite direction. Don't know yet where the other one is. I have to rent a car yet. Two years ago in Boston, we had a Chevy Aveo. Really wasn't a bad car, but it's no 914.
spare time toys
[quote name='abbott295' date='Aug 6 2007, 11:51 AM' post='932153']
I don't spend a lot of time here and didn't know if I had come across Howard before, but I was reading through all the messages of remembrance about him and someone had posted a link to the Decker Canyon Road video.

idea.gif Can someone repost the link confused24.gif I dont remember seing it beerchug.gif
GWN7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoolRqzEm_I

If you click on "More from this user" you can see all 5 of the videos he posted
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.