Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What would you do? I just got offered $25K for my car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
John
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 6 2007, 03:48 PM) *

As for after med school, I dont want a new Porsche. I want to wrench. I am working medicine so I can afford a bigger garage, a lift, extra space for friends cars and a refrigerator full of beer in the large garage. Did I mention large garage!

I have most of that. (sans med school and refrigerator full of beer)

I still would have sold it and started over. The more you do, the better you get.

Perhaps you are wiser. Perhaps your friend will offer more because you are playing hard to get.

jimkelly
sell it and buy propricer's v8 for $10k : ))))

jim
Dr Evil
QUOTE(John @ Aug 6 2007, 09:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 6 2007, 03:48 PM) *

As for after med school, I dont want a new Porsche. I want to wrench. I am working medicine so I can afford a bigger garage, a lift, extra space for friends cars and a refrigerator full of beer in the large garage. Did I mention large garage!

I have most of that. (sans med school and refrigerator full of beer)

I still would have sold it and started over. The more you do, the better you get.

Perhaps you are wiser. Perhaps your friend will offer more because you are playing hard to get.

Wiser? Maybe. I have fixed and resurrected more 914s than I can count....this is why mine is still not on the road rolleyes.gif What can I say, I am a sucker for the people here.
scotty b
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 6 2007, 04:17 PM) *

Well, I just got off the phone with my woman, who is working her second job for the day, and she still feels I should keep it. I have decided that I would rather scrape together $2k to have it finished at one of the many shops I went to today than to sell it and have money in the bank. Noel is in 100% agreement. This really tested my metal, though. Its not the money. Its MY car and I have tweaked it to be such. I am fat enough to starve wink.gif

Good call Mike. I WISH someone would offer me that kinda scratch for one of my POS. 25K would put me at ground zero debt wise but alas all I own is POS sad.gif You WILL get to drive the car finally whereas if you sold it you never would have seen your project to the finish
Dr Evil
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Aug 6 2007, 09:43 PM) *

jim

Jim, my penis is WAY TOO BIG to drive a V8 914. I have nothing to compensate for confused24.gif
Thanks for trying wink.gif tongue.gif
Rav914
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Aug 6 2007, 03:13 PM) *

Sell it and buy a "real six" aktion035.gif

Jim

That may seem off the cuff, but I think it's sage advice. But a real six. Or....buy a real nice four and make it even better, plus have some $ left over so you feel comfortable in your investment. If that were the case I'd buy a '74 2.0 in as perfect condition as I could get, and sit back....

Life is good.
scotty
QUOTE(Chuck @ Aug 6 2007, 03:58 PM) *

A number of years ago I purchased a Honda motorcycle that I had lusted over for some time. I found one that needed work and took the time to fix it all up just the way I wanted and rode it for a number of years.

Then I finished law school. I was spending the summer studying for the bar exam and I knew it wouldn't get ridden that summer. We were also looking at buying a house. Even though I didn't need the money, I decided to sell the bike and told myself I could and would buy another. I got a really good price for it.

I bawled like a baby when the new owner rode away on it.

If you don't need the money and you really love the car; I would keep it.

(1) Glad to see you're keeping it and scraping togther the $2k and time to finish it.

(2) After thought, I have to agree with chuck. I had a ver similar experience with my first 914. I had a lot of time/memories in that car: I'd had it since college (20 years!) and I was only getting rid of it because I couldn't afford to fix the (terminal) rust. It took decades years a year of whining before my wife said she wouldn't kill me if I bought another one...and converted it to a six (still a work in progress -- love your wheels!)

(3) When you're done with school, buy the wife a 914 too! beerchug.gif

(4) Chuck! was it a an early CBX by chance?

ps: anyone who does such nice work on CV bolts should keep their car!
Mr.C
Keep it and offer the Diesel Benz instead. KMA.gif
Dr Evil
So tonight I made my woman meatloaf (no innuendo) for when she got home from her 8:30am-10pm day and we talked some more. I said, "honey, we could pay off our new car and still have left over funds." She was tempted, but no. She then said that she would be willing to sell the benz! (Mr. C) And I was like hell ya! I would love to sell the benz for a bus. Its a great car, but I am tired of it and need to move on.

As for buying her a 914, she wants a green 73-74 2.0 stock and I'll get it for her someday biggrin.gif

For all of you saying "real six", I am not in anyway into this for an investment. I am purely in it for the enjoyment of it and nothing more so a real six would pretty much be lost on me. I have the best friends in the world that help me not to go bankrupt chasing my 914 dreams, and I manage to raise enough $$ through tranny rebuilds and bolts to cover the cost of most things if given enough time. I bought the car with money I got from someone hitting me on my motorcycle and customized it with funds I made doing bolts/tranny/and interior work down in mexico. I can find the money to have someone else finish it for me by selling all of these parts my friend wants me to sell, I figure. We shall see. If anything I was VERY flattered that someone liked my car that much$$.
914rat
Would you take $30k?Just kidding I think you made the right decision.It's not always about the money.Unless it's crazy money.
Dr Evil
Actually, for $30k I would. Another $5k makes a big difference.
Brando
Sell and buy an original six that's clean.
skline
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 6 2007, 05:52 PM) *

jim

Jim, my penis is WAY TOO BIG to drive a V8 914. I have nothing to compensate for confused24.gif

Awe Mikey, that hurt buddy, I thought you were my friend? It has nothing to do with compensation of inadequacies, it has to do with raw power and acceleration. driving.gif
jimkelly
i am impressed by your resistance to take the money and run - did i say impressed - i meant - what the hell are you thinking yo ???

as far as maing fun of my little buddy - my wife says she likes them - as she says - nice and compact : )

though she still has not explained the size 18 high top nike sneakers i found under the bed the other day : (

jim

--

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 6 2007, 05:52 PM) *

jim

zymurgist
Sounds like you have 2 keepers. driving.gif driving-girl.gif

Some guys have all the luck.
KaptKaos
Listen to Noel. She knows you better than you know yourself it seems. Keep that in mind when you are doing your long hours in residency too.
jimkelly
if you are talking about me? the nicest thing about the v8 is that you start in 2nd gear and thus your first shift is to third (straight back ) - amost like having a sequential gear box - until you need to go into 4th but then 5th is straight back again - nice : )

jim

--

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Aug 7 2007, 06:47 AM) *

Sounds like you have 2 keepers. driving.gif driving-girl.gif

Some guys have all the luck.

BahnBrenner914
Keep the car and get it running, it'll be worth more in running condition, plus you get to enjoy it.

I dont sell cars, I collect them. I wouldn't sell my teener and I *can't* sell the fiesta, I'm just going to drive it until it goes kablamo blowup.gif . Hopefully right when I get my next teener av-943.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Aug 7 2007, 12:29 PM) *

if you are talking about me?

I was talking about Mike.

But come to think of it... 2 914's are better than 9 214's! biggrin.gif
73Phoenix20
Hmmmmmm.....
a true "Tough Call" here!
Emotional attachment is what Porsches are all about; otherwise we would all be driving Camrys ;>))
BUT... sit back and think it thru slowly...
$25K in hand...
For $10K, you could find a very very nice 73/74 2.0, maybe even in a shade of green that your intended would like, and have $15K in the bank...
Now you've done the future Mrs. a favor, and you still get to drive a sporty 914... Fix it up, you say? Fine, just dip into the old $15K with no worries, Mon!!!

Oh, you need a bit of scratch down the road of life? Well, guess what? You have a lil' ol' Honey Pot to go to... AND, you still have a nice 914 to sport around in...

Don't be hasty... the $25K (assuming it IS real money!) will not be around for long... that buyer and his cash will soon be parted! Not that your Beauty isn't special, but a buyer interested in your 914 is also interested in others of the same type, and they are out there!

Then you are back to having to finish your car and see what happens if you HAD to sell it at some future date... most likely, you would NOT have to dump the 2.0, and if you did, there would be folks standing in line to give you your money back for it and then some!

Think it thru... and you may be able to nave the best of both!!! BTW, a VERY nice 914... love those alloys!!!
Eric_Shea
Sell it.
Gint
no brainer...

If you can make money selling a 914, go for it. For the kind of money you're talking about you could buy someone else's finished work and still pocket some cash. And you'd be doing this... driving.gif
BKLA
Sell it! biggrin.gif

then... idea.gif

Tell him to call me 'bout "BLUbyU" (my '75 with 2.7 6, flairs, getty dash, 15 x 8 polished fuchs, 911S front suspension, 911 vented rear rotors w/ modded 914 rear calipers...etc etc etc)

I'll sell....

I'm gunna fix up my racer!!!!! It was F U N being back on the track after so many years!!! thumb3d.gif
jim_hoyland
Keep it; it's your signature, your mark, your work.

Jim
hex123
you have a car that is you, part of your creativity.
you will be a doctor, time will be at a minimum, money most likely will not.
you will be a husband, subtracts less time
you may eventually become a dad you'll be using amphetamines to stay awake 24/7and still cant get enough time smile.gif and they will suck money out of your wallet faster than any car restoration project.

sure you can BUY another car but i doubt you will have time to Build another in the near future, these cars are slowy but surely fading/rusting away. by the time you have settled your career and your kids have gone to college, you probably will not be able to find any teeners to restore, they will all be 60K concourse cars or Frankenstein conversions.

finish your car, drive it, take pride in letting others see what you created with your blood sweat and tears.

now if you were 18 years old, single and had a job at wallmart sell the fucher and get an education. biggrin.gif
JPB
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Aug 6 2007, 06:13 PM) *

Sell it and buy a "real six" aktion035.gif

Jim

agree.gif For that kinda coin, YES get a real six and upgrade. happy11.gif
ClayPerrine
Ok.. here's my $.02..

Don't sell it. Not now, not ever. You will regret it.

Our 914s are like our children. There is no amount of money that would get me to sell either of them. Nobody,not even Bill Gates, could scrape together enough money for one of them.

I had a 69 Firebird that I sold about the time Betty and I started dating, 22 years ago. I regret selling that car to this day.

That car is part of you, and there will never be another like it. You put your heart, soul, blood,sweat and tears into it. No amount of money can replace that.

Remember, this is not a rational, logical decision that you can run through a calculator and come out with a profit. It is an emotional decision. If owning a 914 was a coldly logical decision, then both the 914s that we have would have long since been relegated to a wrecking yard, and none of us would be here.

You can always earn more money, you will never be able to completely replace this car. There will never be another just like it.

1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 11 2007, 02:21 PM) *

Ok.. here's my $.02..

Don't sell it. Not now, not ever. You will regret it.

Our 914s are like our children. There is no amount of money that would get me to sell either of them. Nobody,not even Bill Gates, could scrape together enough money for one of them.

I had a 69 Firebird that I sold about the time Betty and I started dating, 22 years ago. I regret selling that car to this day.

That car is part of you, and there will never be another like it. You put your heart, soul, blood,sweat and tears into it. No amount of money can replace that.

Remember, this is not a rational, logical decision that you can run through a calculator and come out with a profit. It is an emotional decision. If owning a 914 was a coldly logical decision, then both the 914s that we have would have long since been relegated to a wrecking yard, and none of us would be here.

You can always earn more money, you will never be able to completely replace this car. There will never be another just like it.

A very definitive answer, Clay. clap56.gif agree.gif

My own 914, which I've had since '75, has been to Parades from Ashville to Aspen. It's been to Florida and DC with my wife and daughter on vacation. I've driven it to Indy, Cleveland, Knoxville and St. Louis. I've autocrossed, rallyed and concours'd it. Sell it?........money, I can get from a bank. A 914 with the meaning, memories and moments I've had with my '70/4......priceless .

DON'T SELL

Paul
orange914
thats a really gorgeous 914. drooley.gif dont do it you probably have more $$$ invested in it even without your time included. chair.gif
Root_Werks
I had a guy offer me $15k for mine and I politely said "No thanks". He gave me his number (which I have lost) just in case something else might change my $$mind$$.

I have purchased this car 3 times in my life, yes 3 mentally disturbed times I have passed cash to someone for this car. At $25k it would be gone, but it's not as nice as yours.

So my advise is do what feels right. At $20k I would really be on the fence about letting my car go again. $25k would be a no brainer. I just installed the Engman innner long kit so that would make it even harder to pass along to someone else. wink.gif

You said yourself you put a lot of blood and sweat into your car, so only you know what it's worth. Whatever you decide, please keep us posted!
zen motorcycle
I will sell you my green 73 2.0 with FI for 12k poke.gif
but you have to fix first gear biggrin.gif

Glad you kept it
boxstr
Mike tell us what you have decided to do, sell or keep.
Craig
Dr Evil
Sorry, I thought I said already, I kept it. If I bought another one I would only want to make it the same as this one and that seems silly. Money, I can make.......some day wink.gif
MoveQik
Tough call. If someone put $25k in front of me, I would think about it pretty hard just so I could consider getting into a different toy.
Root_Werks
Good on you Mike, you are a man that knows what his time is worth.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.