Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What would you do? I just got offered $25K for my car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Dr Evil
So I had my new friend over. The one that deals in Porsche stuff, and cars all around. He sees my car in its current state (needing to be tuned, probebly new tires because these have been on it for 2 years parked, some minor body touch up, completely rust free with a rebuilt 2.7) and askes if I wanted to sell it. I was like, "now way, thats my child!" A little later we are heading over to one of his many parts hoards and I ask, "what would my car get out this way as it is?" He asked what I wanted and I said I dont want anything, I was just curious. Well I say jokingly, $50K and we both are like, Ya, a bit high." He then goes, How about $20K?" I am like,"Hmmm?" "How about $25K?" he asks. Wholy shit! Thats more scratch than I thought. He is serious and says he has a buyer lined up and that he will get more than that for it so he makes money on the deal and I make bank on it too. What should I do? Can I get another 914 in as goo a shape and have money to burn? What would you do?
Dr Evil
The rear suspension has been corrected since these pics.
pin31
Sell it !!!
Coy
blink.gif Wow!

for $25,000, I might be adopting a new child...

I'm actually kind of glad that's your problem and not mine. That's a beautiful car.

Then again; you built it... you can build another. Or can you? Do you have that kind of time anymore?
Steve Thacker
Sing along with me Dr Evil....

Go On... take the money and run ! WHOO WHOO WHOO !!!
John
Tough call, but I would say 'later to mine for that. and my 3.2 runs good.

I would build another.

It's your deal. You will have to do what you think is right.

All my possessions I have are for sale if the right price comes along.
Dr Evil
I definitely do not have enough time to build another, I would like to get one that is running and needs nothing. I dont even have time to finish mine and it is soo close. What a bitter sweet issue to have sad.gif That car is rust free and has much of by soul/blood/sweat/swear words invested in it. Keep the opinions coming as I need consult.
sixnotfour
I would say Cash talks bullshit Walks,
When you see the 25k then decide.
wilchek
how attached are u to the car and how bad do you need the money. Ya it is nice and rust free but 25K is a lot of coin. That being said, unless I needed the money I would not sell it.
Ferg
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 6 2007, 01:37 PM) *

agree.gif If he's for real, then Yes.

Ferg
BMXerror
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 6 2007, 02:37 PM) *

agree.gif As for the decision, how much would you pay for one with all that crap already done to it.... 20k, minimum? That means you make 5k on the deal, minus sales tax.... Is your heart and soul worth $3,500 dollars? I say wait until you're a doctor, then you can afford whatever you like and you'll still have the car that you built with your own two hands. Just my $.02
Mark D.
P.S. Beautiful car, dude.
Dr Evil
Oh, he is for real. This is what he does. He joked with me that he has a lot of his friend mad at him because he goes to their house and a few hours later he has bought their pride and joy and already has a buyer for it from him.
jonferns
How long have you had it? If you're attached to it, it may be more difficult to let go. In the end, its your choice, not ours. But for that kind of money I think I would say goodbye smile.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Ferg @ Aug 6 2007, 01:44 PM) *

Ferg

agree.gif x2
scotty
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Aug 6 2007, 02:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Ferg @ Aug 6 2007, 01:44 PM) *

Ferg

agree.gif x2

...and $25k would buy a "done" car at one (or more) of this sites sponsors.

Heck, you might even be able to buy yours back for the same price fter he "finishes" the work on it (now that's Evil happy11.gif )
Dr Evil
Noel is the perfect chick. Her response, "WHY??? Why would he offer to buy it in the first place? Why are you tempted??? I know you hate the thing right now, but it is YOUR 914! I don't know what I think. Rather perplexed actually. "

Thats why I am marrying her wub.gif Its not about the cash. I dont want ot feel like a dusch if I say no, but it is my bastard child. I am 70:30 against, no 60:40...61:39?
roadster fan
Sell it and buy a "real six" aktion035.gif

Jim
smj
QUOTE(scotty @ Aug 6 2007, 01:57 PM) *
Heck, you might even be able to buy yours back for the same price fter he "finishes" the work on it (now that's Evil happy11.gif )
I'm probably biased as I haven't yet done all the work (or written the checks), but I wouldn't want to let it go. Unless you're as good as scotty here thinks -- in that case sure, work your magic and leave 'em crying. laugh.gif
John
It's all part of building cars.

At some point you must let it go to make room for (or fund) another project. Or get a bigger garage....

I realize you have no spare time now and probably won't after you really become a doctor. Besides, will you really want to get your hands dirty after you do become Dr. and can afford a GT3 (or whatever the cool new one is)?

I still say that if it were mine, right now, I would trade for cash. I have other toys and rust free unit bodies in my shop right now....

So.Cal.914
Theres no doubt its a nice car, but I have seen some very nice 6 conversions

going for less. Maybe find a real one.
lotus_65
a delema rapped up in a conundrum. i only know what i see, and the little i have read about your trick ride. i'd assume that there are things that you'd do different, and an equal number of things you don't think you could re-create to the satisfaction level you have now.

it doesn't sound like enough scratch to me. almost, but not quite there.

good luck!
swl
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 6 2007, 02:08 PM) *

Its not about the cash.

Well is that not your answer right there?

Yes you can rebuild it for much less than $25k but if you don't have the time why not finish it off and strut your stuff for a while.
TROJANMAN
sell it and buy a real four biggrin.gif.
swl
oh - forgot to answer the title question. What would I do?

Sell it in a heartbeat and start again.
JRust
Heck Evil I'm sure you'll clear that with your shirts happy11.gif . Seriously though I would sell it. That is a very good price. Your car is beautiful & you have done well with it. You can get another solid car no problem & one with a 3.2 or 3.6. If you don't have time to work on it buy a newer Boxster wtih the dough. Still it comes down to how attatched you are to your car. I sold my 73 2.0 I had restored 5 years ago. Had some rough finances & had to do it. It was fine as I knew I could do another one & do it better having learned from my first. Still felt like I got kicked in the nuts when they drove it off though sad.gif
Chuck
A number of years ago I purchased a Honda motorcycle that I had lusted over for some time. I found one that needed work and took the time to fix it all up just the way I wanted and rode it for a number of years.

Then I finished law school. I was spending the summer studying for the bar exam and I knew it wouldn't get ridden that summer. We were also looking at buying a house. Even though I didn't need the money, I decided to sell the bike and told myself I could and would buy another. I got a really good price for it.

I bawled like a baby when the new owner rode away on it.

If you don't need the money and you really love the car; I would keep it.
SirAndy
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Aug 6 2007, 02:13 PM) *

agree.gif
markb
Finish it. Drive it. Then decide. driving.gif
If your friend does this often, and has a buyer, the buyer might offer more after he's seen you driving around in it, and it works around in the back of his mind until he can't wait to get his hands on it. smile.gif
Spoke
If $25K is more than what I had in it, sell it and buy a 911 with A/C.

Spoke
Dr Evil
QUOTE(markb @ Aug 6 2007, 07:06 PM) *

Finish it. Drive it. Then decide. driving.gif
If your friend does this often, and has a buyer, the buyer might offer more after he's seen you driving around in it, and it works around in the back of his mind until he can't wait to get his hands on it. smile.gif

This answer, I like! Why hurry? He does do this often so it will only be worth more when I am done should I want to sell it. Moving back to 70:30 against. My heart is breaking a little, still. sad.gif

As for real /6, I really could care less then nothing at all. i want a car that I can do what I want with and a REAL /6 would not be a platform that I would enjoy fooling with. I would rather convert a /4 again. Or do a Suby conversion.
Michael N
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 6 2007, 03:59 PM) *

QUOTE(roadster fan @ Aug 6 2007, 02:13 PM) *

agree.gif

I'd sell it!
So.Cal.914

As for real /6, I really could care less then nothing at all. i want a car that I can do what I want with and a REAL /6 would not be a platform that I would enjoy fooling with. I would rather convert a /4 again.

Evil, have you seen Elliots car? Sell it and build yourself another kicka$$ car with a 3.0+ or one already done with all the goodies, you should still have money left over...or do a color change and have none left over. And while your in there...
914-8
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 6 2007, 03:08 PM) *

Its not about the cash.

Sure it is. Just whether it is enough cash. If he pulled out $50,000, the title of this thread would read "I just sold my 914."

How much do you think you could get for the car if you tried to sell it on the open market? His offer seems about double what a converted 2.7 would get, tough not to jump on that, assuming he is serious.
messix
sell? before you had the chance to enjoy the fruits of your labor... are you 'f'ing nuts!!!!!

finish as you can and enjoy it, then after you have had it done and driving then decide if you can live with out it or want/can build another one.
Rleog
Keep it

Keep it

Keep it!

Decide a year after you've completed your residency. If you want to work on another one, by then you'll be able to buy it and still keep your original.

I think you should listen to Noel.
914nerd
I would have to agree
If you don't need to sell, then hold on to it and get the chance to really drive it for a while
Besides, a well-sorted 914 will always sell (especially one like that)
Rand
Tough choice Mike.

I think I could build a pretty nice 3.6 for that price. And I love the project phase. So I would sell.

But if I didn't have the time or interest in building it myself, I would not sell for that price. What would a reputable shop charge to build *your* car?

Damn these gray areas! The only easy way I see to force this to black & white is setting the price higher.

At what price would you just sell without hesitation? If he comes up with that, then run smiling to the bank. Otherwise enjoy your car!!
Dr Evil
I have no where near $25K into this car (I have friends, made deals, and farmed work out to Mexico). I also know that it is a very VERY nice price for my car. That is what sucks. I will likely wait. I didnt want to sell it, the only thing that is making me consider it is that I need money (starving student getting married) and I could possibly get another good 914 that is running ang needs next to nothing and still have money left over. As for after med school, I dont want a new Porsche. I want to wrench. I am working medicine so I can afford a bigger garage, a lift, extra space for friends cars and a refrigerator full of beer in the large garage. Did I mention large garage!
messix
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 6 2007, 04:48 PM) *

I have no where near $25K into this car (I have friends, made deals, and farmed work out to Mexico). I also know that it is a very VERY nice price for my car. That is what sucks. I will likely wait. I didnt want to sell it, the only thing that is making me consider it is that I need money (starving student getting married) and I could possibly get another good 914 that is running ang needs next to nothing and still have money left over. As for after med school, I dont want a new Porsche. I want to wrench. I am working medicine so I can afford a bigger garage, a lift, extra space for friends cars and a refrigerator full of beer in the large garage. Did I mention large garage!

just eat more top ramen and speggetti o's if'n your poor, it'll only be just a little while intil yer charging 'bout what my laywer does per hour, suck it up and you'll be fine. DON'T SELL!
Pat Garvey
Keep it!

A labor of frustration that's sooo close to becoming a labor of love.

So.Cal.914

Did I mention large garage!

Yup. You also mentioned beer. beerchug.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 6 2007, 04:57 PM) *

Keep it!

A labor of frustration that's sooo close to becoming a labor of love.

Damn, thats hard to argue with. Quiet Pat. biggrin.gif
BMXerror
After reading this thread, I don't think we're gonna help you at all. Still, I would agree that if your buddy does this all the time, there'll most likely be a buyer somewhere in the future as well. This may not be as urgent a decision as you think. Just two more cents.
Mark D.
VaccaRabite
Well, this is the grown up boring answer.

Sell it, buy another on in good shape that does not need work for $6K, and put the rest of the money in the bank for books or classes (or your wedding or honeymoon) or the down payment on a house...

10 years from now you will be a full fledged doctor, and should have the money to flat out just buy your car back (or another built to the same or better specs.)

If it were me, I'd see if the guy was willing to put his money where his mouth is. If he is, you will have made bank for your car. If not, you can walk away.

Zach
Dr Evil
Well, I just got off the phone with my woman, who is working her second job for the day, and she still feels I should keep it. I have decided that I would rather scrape together $2k to have it finished at one of the many shops I went to today than to sell it and have money in the bank. Noel is in 100% agreement. This really tested my metal, though. Its not the money. Its MY car and I have tweaked it to be such. I am fat enough to starve wink.gif
messix
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 6 2007, 05:17 PM) *

Well, I just got off the phone with my woman, who is working her second job for the day, and she still feels I should keep it. I have decided that I would rather scrape together $2k to have it finished at one of the many shops I went to today than to sell it and have money in the bank. Noel is in 100% agreement. This really tested my metal, though. Its not the money. Its MY car and I have tweaked it to be such. I am fat enough to starve wink.gif

GOOD MAN!
you'll be a happlily married man too, you listen to you're woman.
1970 Neun vierzehn
In your future, you will always be able to lay your hands on $25K one way or another, but will you ever be able to get a 914 just like you have now, with all its character, history and your heart in it?......probably not.

I'd keep it. That car has a bit of your DNA in it.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Aug 6 2007, 08:31 PM) *

In your future, you will always be able to lay your hands on $25K one way or another, but will you ever be able to get a 914 just like you have now, with all its character, history and your heart in it?......probably not.

I'd keep it. That car has a bit of your DNA in it.

Precisely beer.gif
Katmanken
Good move.

If you got rid of it, I can assure you that the next one would cost a whole bunch more than that one.

Applies to cars and wimmin.

Ken

geniusanthony
Try this thought out, for 25K you could afford to build/save another one...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.