Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Let's Talk Track Brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2
Joe Ricard
I also was running into problems with my splitter/ underbelly pan. so no room for hose.

the route I want to take is from inside the trunk.
race914
Some relevant pics from the 'turbo build' thread in the garage. You can see the brake cooling tubes in the pics of the front trunk. Really nice work.

jdogg
OK...A successful weekend! No cooked calipers, brakes stayed cool and consistent all weekend...1 broken clutch cable cut short Sunday, but an instructor let me try out his SS Camaro....a pig of car, but 380HP makes damn short work of the straightaways....I learned there is very little that is similar between a 3600 LB, 380HP car, and a 2100LB, 140 HP, mid-engine go-kart! Oh, and I fortunately had a spare cable, so Monday was still a go!

BUT I am still experiencing a sinking pedal, and my theory on that is this - in between braking sections, the pads are getting knocked back too far, requiring more pedal travel to get them back into contact with the rotor. I started giving the pedal a pump or two right before braking hard, and that helped immensely, the bute was up high where it needed to be. When the pedal sinks like that, heel and toe is nearly impossible, especially at the threshold...I even knocked the gas pedal loose one time because my foot was so far behind it on the brakes.

Is there any way to limit that knock back? Eric, you mentioned removing the knock back pins altogether...would that help and keep the pads closer to the rotor in between braking zones? This is more of a nuisance than anything else, but it would be nice to not have to pump 'em up every time I need 'em.
stownsen914
QUOTE(jdogg @ Sep 25 2007, 09:17 AM) *

Is there any way to limit that knock back?

Are you sure your rotors aren't warped? Also, check your wheel bearings. If they have any slop, the wheel can cock back and forth slightly between braking zones, and knock the pads back in the process. Either problem could occur at the front or the rear, but the front would be more likely, I would think. Good luck!
jdogg
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Sep 25 2007, 11:02 AM) *

QUOTE(jdogg @ Sep 25 2007, 09:17 AM) *

Is there any way to limit that knock back?

Are you sure your rotors aren't warped? Also, check your wheel bearings. If they have any slop, the wheel can cock back and forth slightly between braking zones, and knock the pads back in the process. Either problem could occur at the front or the rear, but the front would be more likely, I would think. Good luck!

Great suggestions! Bearings are new, no slop. And I would think I would feel a warped rotor, especially under threshold braking...I suppose it would be worth putting a dial indicator on the rotor face and checking it for runout to be sure.

Let's talk some more about the stock 914 rear calipers. It has been a while since I rebuilt them, and I can't remember exactly how everything works back there. I currently have the venting clearance set to .06 (pins and spring clip removed), but have not had a chance to see if that has changed any after being on track. Anyway, I guess that as the pads wear, the adjuster must turn with it forcing the piston out to compensate for pad wear and maintain the venting clearance, right?
So, in a high wear environment, is it possible the adjuster can't keep up with the pad wear?? Of course, all of the preceeding conjecture could be null and void when I pull a wheel and check the clearances....just thinking out loud..

jdogg
Oh, and I met one of our members this weekend too, Hal Michaels (HalM) with his black '74 2056 Raby motor car. He unfortunately had some brake problems and had to retire early, but it sure was nice to see another 914 out there!

Look forward to seeing you at some more events, Hal!
davep
Well, the outer rear adjuster is locked, so it cannot adjust by itself. I doubt the inner would either. Either the pistons rotate to adjust (doubtful), or they just pull themselves off of the adjuster (seen that on most rear calipers).

My friend with the GT said that he used a larger master cylinder to compensate for this problem, and braced the master to ensure his foot action was not wasted on bending the floor.

Factory racing front calipers I have seen do not have the pins.
Eric_Shea
Eric, you mentioned removing the knock back pins altogether...would that help and keep the pads closer to the rotor in between braking zones? This is more of a nuisance than anything else, but it would be nice to not have to pump 'em up every time I need 'em.

The knock back mechanism was designed to knock the pads back "toward" the rotor giving you a higher pedal. Taking them out would have the reverse effect of what you are requiring.

I believe you still have a wee bit of air in the system. With or without knock back pins and mechanisms you should be able to have a tall pedal.

How is your rear venting clearance now? It should be set to .004". In a high wear environment you will need to check this and adjust often. If you were accurate with your .06 vs. .006 then that can be a problem. The pistons will move roughly 2mm with the internal mechanism on the adjuster shaft.

Make sure your venting clearance is set properly so we can be sure your rear calipers are in the game. Also, rebleed the brakes. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.