Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '70 914-6 w/38,000 orig.miles - one owner-value?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
VT914
Hi everyone,

I'm interest in opinions on this 914-6 I'm helping a friend sell.

Please take a look at the following page and offer any comments here.

http://www.eckertmotorsport.com/forsale/Bu...ffumPorsche.htm

Thanks everyone!

Brian in Vermont
Gint
Welcome to the board.

I haven't looked at 914/6 values in over a year, but my feeling is that the $20K asking price is too high. If he can get it, more power to him. It does look and sound like a nice, straight and probably nearly rust free car. Off the top of my head without any current research, I know I wouldn't pay more than $15K (and I would *like* to be closer to $13K). But that's just me.

Edit:
Maybe more than $15K. Depends. I'm curious to see what others think.

'Nother edit:
If the car is not rusty, remove the rocker panels and take pictures of the longs. Also the cowl around the bottom of the windshield, engine compartment, the door jams and thresholds, the front right side of the engine shelf, battery tray, the four lower corners of the front trunk, the rear traunk facing rearward toward the back (bottom of the trunk floor in front of the tail lights). If the car isn't rusty, show it in pictures. For long distance buyers, this is a huge seller. In fact, pictures sell!
swood
Hey, that's pretty nice. Need more pics though. Need to show the areas that count, paint isn't the biggest deal.
rick 918-S
No photo of the battery tray. The car looks repainted.
vortrex
yes it says it was repainted.
VT914
Battery tray is perfect.

This is not a "suprise car". No stories. Actual milage, ONE owner. Original bill of sale from teh original dealer sold as new.
vortrex
also that is not irish green, it looks like palma green metallic in the trunk. cool color for sure.
VT914
I would love to see a good pic of another example of this color on a 914. I know it is the original color, but I did not see the color code on the door.
boxstr
Sports Car Market gives the 914/6 a price range of $11,000 low and $15,000 high.
Gint is right on the money. And like he eluded to you need to see the crucial areas that are prone to rust.
CCLINPRICEGUIDEMODE
vortrex
example..
vortrex
metallic green paint code is 221 and irish green is 213. irish green is not metallic though.
seanery
the car looks really nice! BUT, like the others have said, we need pics of rockers, battery tray, engine compartment, engine itself, cowl area.
VT914
Thanks, I'll talk to him tomorrow and let him know what I've been reading.

Seems like $15K is the general concensus on Pelican as well.

Just trying to find out the fair value of the car.

Thanks!
VT914
So vortex, that's Palma green. Looks exactly like the color of the car!.

Thanks!

Also, I'll get a few pic's of the rockers, engine, and battery box. Thanks for the heads up on that as well.
vortrex
it's definitely not irish green.

palma green metallic seemed to be a 914-4 color, maybe for the 914-6 it was simply called metallic green?

check for paint codes on the metal badge of the drivers side doorjamb. I bet you will find it says 221 somewhere.
swood
Yup, looks like my palma green. check the color code stamp. I'm partial to that color anyways.

And you know what other color Miles. rolleyes.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif

What city is that /6 in? Just askin...
Brad Roberts
What is all that white crap around the car ?? Piled on everything ?? LOL

12-13k. It needs *some* work to be really nice.

B
Brad Roberts
HUm.. it shouldnt have that bumper on the rear. It should have the squared off one....and the rear valance is missing (which he says).. make me wonder if it was lightly tapped in the rear and they removed the valance and replaced the bumper.

B
Brad Roberts
Can anyone else hear that ?? It's calling me. It.. it.. it.. wants a 3.2 with a WEVO 915. It says it is tired of having a ball less 2.0 and a weak tranny... how cute. wub.gif

B
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Dec 18 2003, 11:40 PM)
... the rear valance is missing (which he says).. make me wonder...

like removing a Speedster windscreen at the track, or 356 bumpers, removing the 914/6 rear valance was The Thing To Do when the cars were new. ran about 10F cooler that way, in my experience. (cooler may not be the factor it was in SoCal, in Vermont ...)
ArtechnikA
just read the referred thread. John Buffum is famous in the very special Pro-Rallye world. FIA Pro Rallye is A Big Deal now with TV coverage, but Buffum was doing that stuff in Porsches in the late 70's with only marginal factory support. he won a whole string of SCCA Pro Rallye events through North America in his 911's. (typically co-driving (navigation) with "Vickie" (IIRC) who - the story eventually developed - was his ex-wife. that's a level of trust i do not share with my ex-, i gotta tell you !)

i haven't heard Buffum's name for a while, but if the price of the car includes a weekend of story-telling i bet it's worth it !

looking at some of the photos quickly - rally-driver touches: no front anti-roll bar, has fog lights. looks like a proper 914.6 muffler.
redshift
QUOTE(swood @ Dec 19 2003, 01:38 AM)
Yup, looks like my palma green. check the color code stamp. I'm partial to that color anyways.

And you know what other color Miles. rolleyes.gif

Irish Green? wink.gif

ALL YOUR EGGPLANTS ARE BELONG TO US!

smile.gif

M
Hawk
Wrong rear bumper, no rear valance, wrong color for year. Start subtracting from $15,000.
Gint
Battery tray is perfect.

This is not a "suprise car". No stories. Actual milage, ONE owner. Original bill of sale from teh original dealer sold as new.

No need to be defensive, I'm sure it is. My intention was not to offend, but to assist. YOU and the owner know the car has no surprises. The buyer does not. You have to remember the buyer/seller dynamic. The local market for that car is very slim, it will most likely sell to a long distance buyer. If you show pictures of the typical 914 rust areas, it will be a MUCH easier sell.
si2t3m
I'd try to figure out why it has a later style rear bumper on it. If i was after the car, i'd definatly want to know why.

I've read the add a couple of times. i dont get this:

'' Although oxidized, the rocker panels are sold.''

Sold as in someone bought them???

''I'd also have a really nice red knob for the heat lever to replace the black one that is there''!!!

Seems to be a really nice car. In our part of the woods, nice examples are hard to find. That's a + side for you.

Marc-André
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(si2t3m @ Dec 19 2003, 06:31 AM)
I've read the add a couple of times. i dont get this:
'' Although oxidized, the rocker panels are sold.''

there are several typographical errors in the post; makes sense in this context that an 'i' was omitted, as in: "the rocker panels are sol[i]d."

still, since this is the offer of sale, it'd be good to ask; you can't go ass-u-ming that you're not going to get what's actually documented...
brant
This is absolutely not to be insulting...
If you know this already then ignore my post...

the color code is a metal stamp at the front of the door not the back... try looking there to verify the color.

brant
Brad Roberts
I'm not too concerned about the paint. Back in the early 70's you could special order a lot of things that didnt come standard. I know of 1 factory black M471 9146 (special ordered in 1970 by a famous Hollywood movie director) I know this guy had solid factory connections. It stands to reason that he could have asked for and received anything he wanted on the car.

I like it. It will sell for 12-13k.

B
vortrex
QUOTE(Hawk @ Dec 19 2003, 05:46 AM)
Wrong rear bumper, no rear valance, wrong color for year. Start subtracting from $15,000.

how do you figure? the color chart I'm looking at has metallic green as a special order color for 1970 914-6 and the color code is 221. I believe someone else mentioned this was a $85 option, much like the original metallic blue 914-6 that was on ebay a few weeks ago.
djm914-6
If the owner wanted to sell it "locally" he should contact me. Depending on a realistic price and visual inspection, I "may know someone" who wants another 914/6. wink.gif

djm914-6@comcast.net
VT914
Thanks guys - he said he was aware that the rear valance was missing, as it was removed when the car was "freshened up" 15 years ago and they never put it back on/bought a new one.

Haven't heard anything about the bumper, or why it would not be stock - I'm sure he was the only one to drive the car it's whole life, and he said it was never involved in any kind of accident (even minor).

I'll be sure to find out .

BTW, the car is located in Burlington, Vermont. Sorry about that, I need to include that also.

Any ideas where to place this add for maximum effect would be appreciated.

Should I go ahead and E-bay it with better pic's and description??

Thanks,
DuckRyder
I think you pretty much got the attention of the 914 market right here.
Gint
Why don't you post it on the Classifieds on this site?
djm914-6
Why ebay when you have people here. Unless of course the car isn't as nice as it seems and the seller hopes ebays greed pays off with an honest buyer. Still, I could be interested.
Porsche Rescue
Go to http://members.rennlist.com/chuxter/914Colors.htm
Metallic green near the bottom of the chart. Special order color in 1970 only. Code 221 as mentioned above.
As to the bumper, there must be a story there. Although I have always wondered if '71 6's had the late bumper. The change occurred in '71 on the 4's.
vortrex
a couple more pics were added to the website if anyones interested..
Gint
Looks pretty good. I'd still like to see a pic of the engine shelf below the battery tray.
Porsche Rescue
Noticed that the car in the thread "thinking about buying a 914-6" is a rare '71 and it has the late style rear bumper. Wish I could be sure it was original because it would solve one of life's great mysteries (for me at least). I know that the bumper many call the "six" bumper (squared off license indent) is really a '70 bumper because the 4's were the same. I also know that the '71 4 had the rounded indent. What about the '71 six? Trivia, trivia.........
Brad Roberts
This isnt the proper place for the CD box (unless he is holding it out of the way for the pic) It mounts to the battery tray just like a 4cyl injection computer.

And.. where is the plastic plug that is supposed to be..right there...

Another pic shoes rust/missing paint on the front engine tin that crosses the front of the engine. The only reason it would rust would be if it was tweaked somewhere along the line (could have happened during engine removal).

B
Brad Roberts
Did we ever get the actual VIN ?? If it is truelly a 71.. then the rear bumper is probably correct.

B
VT914
Hi everyone,

Sorry I have been away, and sorry if I got a little "snappy" in the earlier posts. It's been a hell of a holiday season for me - busy as hell but it should be a good one...

Again THANK YOU ALL for assisting with this! your collective knowledge has been invaluable!

I will try to figure out the "mystery of the rear bumper". I will ask him if he is sure it's never been replaced. Also, he showed me the original bill of sale from 1970. I'll try to take a picture of it and post it. This may clear up some of the mysteries.

I will also post the VIN (shoulda thought of that) that might help as well.

I will *try* to get a better pic under the battery box. It's hard to get in there but...

I did mean "the rockers are oxidized but solid". I was in quite a hurry when I wrote the add.

Not looking to take advantage of anyone - just want to make a fair deal for everyone involved with this car, him and the buyer. It's tough with a car like this but you guys have been extremely helpfull!

I told him, based on the information here, it looks like $12/$13K. We'll see when we get a little more info.

We are 100% certain it's the original color though... I haven't been able to find the color code, maby removed when it was painted...

Can someone tell how to tell the exact year from the VIN?? I only know the code after 1980.

Thanks!!
VT914
Also, is a '71 rare?

Thanks,
VT914
Brant,

"front of the door" meaning at the hinge?! I must admit I did not check there!
vortrex
'71 and '72 914-6's are indeed much more rare than '70's, but I don't think it would add to the value as there is really no difference in the actual cars.
vortrex
yes the color code will be on a metal plate located on the drivers side doorjamb, by the hinge.
EdwardBlume
It seems like the money is the most important point with this inquiry. I guess if I had an original 914-6 and made an impact on the early Porsche scene, I'd rather place the car in the hands of a collector or P enthusiast. Finding that "right" person might get you that premium you're looking for. I wouldn't recommend ebay for this reason.

Good luck! wink.gif
VT914
Ah - thanks! This will hopefully clear up the color mystery.

Also, after a little snooping, I found the info section of the site. I'll post the VIN, and we can see if it's a '70 or '71, maby it is the correct rear bumper...

Happy holidays!

Brian
seanery
that advice from a man who was just watching his newborn squeeze one out! laugh.gif
EdwardBlume
that advice from a man who was just watching his newborn squeeze one out!

Its the same color! (no disrespect)
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(VT914 @ Dec 23 2003, 08:40 PM)
We are 100% certain it's the original color though... I haven't been able to find the color code, maby removed when it was painted...

Can someone tell how to tell the exact year from the VIN??

note that there is a color code number for "custom". so just because a color may not have been a STANDARD color doesn't means it isn't a Porsche color, and it doesn't mean that even if it's not a Porsche color, that it is not the original, factory-applied paint. Porsche offered "paint to sample" for a (smallish) fee and while it was only rarely used (most people wanted to take delivery from stock rather than wait months for a specific ccar to be built to specification) it DOES happen. obviously, Buffum was known to the factory and could have got anything he wanted ...

the year is the VIN digit after '914'. "914143nnnn" would be a '71.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.