Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Galley Plug Kit for DIY'ers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ptravnic
I've got all the needed drill bits & 1/2" drill. All you'd need is the 5 galley plugs (easy to find @ any hardware store).

I've got it in a box, if you are a reputable member of the board I'll send you the kit if'n you swear on your momma's grave that you'll send it back to me or forward it on to the next sucker engine rebuild DIY'er.

Consider this my good deed for the day year. PM me or call me if you know my ph#.

-pt
type47
how about posting a "how to"?
ptravnic
QUOTE(type47 @ Aug 10 2007, 09:33 PM) *

how about posting a "how to"?

Jake's forum has a very useful "how to", I'm not about to try to replicate it. Also, if you aren't sure of where/what's involved then you prob are not a candidate for the kit.. No offense meant just so ya know.

I'm not sure if you have to register or not, but if you are rebuilding an engine it's likely that you've already registered w/his site...

http://forums.aircooledtechnology.com/show...ght=galley+plug

-pt
ptravnic
bump
eeyore
I bleeve the proper drill diameter for 3/8" NPT is 9/16 (or 37/64). 1/2" drills 'almost' worked with the taps I used.
Joe Ricard
Yea Mark, if you read the 1st post again. he said he got all the drill bits.
AND a 1/2 in drill.
them little bitty drills just won't swing a bit bit.
ptravnic
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug 12 2007, 07:53 PM) *

Yea Mark, if you read the 1st post again. he said he got all the drill bits.
AND a 1/2 in drill.
them little bitty drills just won't swing a bit bit.

Correct - I bought a bottom of the line harbor freight 1/2" drill. I spent the better part of an afternoon running around town finding this bit/that bit, drill, etc...

It's all in a box, ready to loan out to someone - I'm starting to lose faith in the board... Maybe just not a lot of engine rebuilds going on right now - maybe a more popular "off season" project.

-pt
Jake Raby
Correct drill size for a 3/* NPT tap is 9/16"..
So.Cal.914
I welded them closed, no leak. smile.gif
ptravnic
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 13 2007, 08:00 AM) *

Correct drill size for a 3/* NPT tap is 9/16"..

the 1/2" drill worked just fine w/the large bit (forget the bit size). I'm an ordinary, average guy (Joe Walsh anyone?) and was trying to do the job without having to buy a production quality drill.

-pt
Joe Ricard
It is still alot of work, not the drilling part just the tapping part.
I finished mine up a few months ago.
For me this IS the off season. Too freaking hot even to autocross.
ptravnic
First up - Verne Snyder. The box is en route. Who wants it when Verne is done?

-pt

vesnyder
I am almost done just need to find a place to source the plugs - HELP! Been to two local hardware stures and they had the plugs with the square head not the recessed hex/allen head.

Thanks!
vesnyder
Who's up next? I completed the job with the kit and it was very easy - and came out very professional! The plugs we not real easy to source but found a place on line! Let me know if you want to borrow the kit?

Big thanks to Pete (aka ptravnic) - really appreciate it!
toon1
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Aug 10 2007, 06:17 PM) *

I've got all the needed drill bits & 1/2" drill. All you'd need is the 5 galley plugs (easy to find @ any hardware store).

I've got it in a box, if you are a reputable member of the board I'll send you the kit if'n you swear on your momma's grave that you'll send it back to me or forward it on to the next sucker engine rebuild DIY'er.

Consider this my good deed for the day year. PM me or call me if you know my ph#.

-pt

I must have missed this thread, I could've used this as I just recently did this.

I also ran around town looking for the right tools and had to borrow 1/2" drill motor, it sucked, wasted 2 hrs shagging down tools.

Guy's, I he is refering to a 1/2" drill MOTOR(chuck size) not a 1/2" drill bit.
ptravnic
QUOTE(toon1 @ Sep 21 2007, 01:09 PM) *

I must have missed this thread, I could've used this as I just recently did this.

I also ran around town looking for the right tools and had to borrow 1/2" drill motor, it sucked, wasted 2 hrs shagging down tools.

Guy's, I he is refering to a 1/2" drill MOTOR(chuck size) not a 1/2" drill bit.

Correct, 1/2" drill. Glad to hear Verne got use out of the "kit". Sorry to hear about the trouble finding plugs.

Who's next?
ptravnic
icon_bump.gif
ptravnic
icon_bump.gif
ptravnic
icon_bump.gif
dfwteenerpr
i could use it...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.