Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Search help - 914-4 to 914-6 conversion questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Racer
Please forgive me but ... What I am really looking for is a list of the "minumum" parts needed for a 4 to 6 conversion

Lets assume this motor is going into a roller prepped with rollcage, stiffeneing kit, 5bolt conversion already done so HP and chassis match)
Also, the potential motor would be a 2.2-2.4l 911 T/E motor with carbs, perhaps MFI

Off the top of my head:

1) -6 motor wink.gif
2) Oil Tank
3) Engine mount bar
4) Engine tin
5) Exhaust/headers
6) Here's where it gets hazy for me.. what are some of the other things I would need, at minimum...

I assume some flywheel/clutch parts to mate up to the 901?
Various wires/sensors for oil pressure/temp guages?
Maybe a "911" tach?
Axles?

Help!

Thanks
sixnotfour
Throttle Linkage ,
Here is a good source in the Vendor section:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=4319
sww914
911 tach, yes. And oil lines to & from the tank, and probably an accelerator cable to go with the new linkage, and the mount for it on the side of the tranny. Probably a fuel pump, depending on what you already have, and if you're planning to track the car a lot, a front oil cooler. Your shift rod may need to be modified depending on the exhaust, probably not, unless you have a tailshifter, then you'll need to convert everything over to side shift.
dflesburg
If you are like me...

You will need 15 years 1 month and 27 days....
degreeoff
av-943.gif agree.gif
scotty
piratenanner.gif Ha! Mine only took 15 years 1 month and 26 days!

...wait...I still have seats done in black duct tape...I guess I have to do the interior to count it done...another 5 years ought to do it...yeah... rolleyes.gif

At least I can drive it
propricer
Suggest you consider investing in the book on ebay which talks about the conversion specifically.
Second, you might consider buying one that is already done ... it is almost ALWAYS cheaper to go that route !!!
Thirdly, it WILL cost you quite a bit more than you think !!!
Fourthly, consider a V8 ... good luck
Racer
Thanks for all the reminders and advice.

Since I have a line on a roller that has cage, flares, 5-bolt with 911SC brakes, oil cooler etc the problem is the motor it had is no more. The owner put "this" motor in his other 914. He may have a 2.0l carbed 4 "core" motor that needs rebuilding. On the otherhand, I have a line on a 2.2l 911E spec motor with MFI for a fair price. Not sure if I want another 4, a big 4, or a small 6. Ahh decisions. smile.gif
ClayPerrine
I have a 2.4L six with MFI in my 914.

No one mentioned an engine mounted oil cooler for a 914/6 or a modified 911 oil cooler (Ya gotta move the tube on the bottom to clear the trailing arm).

You need all of the above plus this stuff to use the MFI...

Fuel pump for MFI.
Fuel filter console for MFI.

Engine tin modified for the MFI pump belt, plus a custom made cover for the belt.

Heat Exchangers (CANNOT USE HEADERS) that have the heat fitting for the MFI.

Modified right hand engine tin to add the MFI heater tube.

A factory 914/6 throttle setup, including the hand throttle pieces. The hand throttle is mandatory for MFI, not optional.

A syncrometer, a set of MFI protractors, a set of calipers that can measure bigger than 50mm, a CO meter, and a copy of Bosch's "Check, Measure and Adjust".

A BIG stock of patience.

Been There, Done That.

degreeoff
WOW Clay!! that is EXACTLY why I have carbs......
Root_Werks
Search for "Shall I say six" and you'll find Trekkor's conversion. He covered most everything the do-it-yourselfer person needs. Well done thread.
MoveQik
There are a lot of ancillary costs that add up as well. You get the engine tin & headers....oh yeah, you gotta get them coated. You got the oil tank & cooler.....oh yeah, you gotta get all the lines & fittings.

Hell...I had a couple of hundred bucks worth of shipping charges.

It's worth every penny but there are a lot of hidden costs, so to speak.
jimkelly
i could find this ??

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...39;s+conversion

jim
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Racer @ Aug 11 2007, 01:55 PM) *

Thanks for all the reminders and advice.

Since I have a line on a roller that has cage, flares, 5-bolt with 911SC brakes, oil cooler etc the problem is the motor it had is no more. The owner put "this" motor in his other 914. He may have a 2.0l carbed 4 "core" motor that needs rebuilding. On the otherhand, I have a line on a 2.2l 911E spec motor with MFI for a fair price. Not sure if I want another 4, a big 4, or a small 6. Ahh decisions. smile.gif

I would have a concern about why someone pulled a motor out of a complete conversion... If I understand correctly. If it was converted you should only need a motor and whatever he pulled out.

I would stick with the advice to buy a complete conversion and then do whatever you want with that. It really does take a long time and money to do one. Trekkor, bless his heart does not have a normal job or life so while looking at his conversion thread is educational it is not really possible for most people...
I have one for sale on Camp914 and Excellence Magazine Classifieds... (shameless plug)
brant
did anyone mention the flywheel yet?
you have to have an early 911 2.0/6 flywheel
plus modified-4 or real 914/6 shift linkage.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(brant @ Aug 12 2007, 04:46 PM) *

Or modify the transmission to use a 70-71 911 throwout fork. Then use the 70-71 911 clutch with the 901.

brant
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 12 2007, 09:35 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Aug 12 2007, 04:46 PM) *

Or modify the transmission to use a 70-71 911 throwout fork. Then use the 70-71 911 clutch with the 901.

Good point Clay...
more than one way to work through these issues
here is a cooler for sale from a very upstanding and trustworthy vendor
modified oil cooler
Dave_Darling
The Bird site has a pretty decent set of articles that talks about what you need. There is, of course, a little advertising in them... wink.gif And they are by no means complete (people come up with new ways to do these things all the time!) but it will give you some ideas.

Didn't "groot" do some super-cheapie make-your-own-bits conversion threads? I recall him faking up (fabricating) engine tin, using the 911 tin as a basis... And a few other things, too. I hope I have the user name correct.

--DD
John
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 12 2007, 10:24 PM) *

Didn't "groot" do some super-cheapie make-your-own-bits conversion threads? I recall him faking up (fabricating) engine tin, using the 911 tin as a basis... And a few other things, too. I hope I have the user name correct.

--DD

I thought that was Dan Root (Root_Werks).....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.