Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hyduralic Throw-Out Bearing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pjhaun
Has anybody ever heard of a hyduralic throw-out bearing and if there is any for the 901 transmission?

Thank You!!!!
Phillip J. Haun
Oak Harbor, WA.

Dr Evil
Sure. You could find one that fits your dimensions fairly easily, they are not uncommon and I bet there is an after market set. Then you will have to figure out how you are going to do the pedal cluster with another MC for the clutch. I am sure someone here has done it before.
So.Cal.914
The one I saw pics of was the guy down under, (:insert the OH $HIT I can't remember his name smilie:) He posted some good pics of his setup(No I can't post those pics, not at home) right around the time of the last big arguement
discussion about brakes.
Aaron Cox
wevo makes them for 915 and 930 applications iirc....

worth a look smile.gif

wouldnt it be easier to hook up a slave cylinder instead? Hyd. TO bearing dies and you have to pull the tranny.... slave dies and you unbolt it.
JPB
You can get some cool after market stuff like CNC hydraulic clutch kits which include a clutch pedal with a reservoir and an external slave cylinder. The last one I saw was on a Becks 550 replica. They beafed up the location where the stock cable went through where the slave was bolted but that was on a VW trany. I think you would need to fab a beafy clip that bolts to your trany. As mentioned above, keeping everything external keeps it symple. beer.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Aug 12 2007, 05:44 PM) *

wevo makes them for 915 and 930 applications iirc....

worth a look smile.gif

wouldnt it be easier to hook up a slave cylinder instead? Hyd. TO bearing dies and you have to pull the tranny.... slave dies and you unbolt it.

I agree, good idea. agree.gif
Cap'n Krusty
90s Jeeps had 'em, and they were a weak point. The Cap'n
sixnotfour

Funny you mention that , I had a brand new 1990 Jeep Wrangler,
under 2k miles it started to leak, Chrysler would not fix it as it was clutch related.SOB's.

wouldnt it be easier to hook up a slave cylinder instead?

Good Thinking
Twystd1
"Tilton" makes the Hydro T/O bearing you are discussing.

Clayton
Downunderman
Will post the photos tomorrow morning. They are on the computer at home. That wont be long because i'm 3/4 of a day in front of you.
Mikey914
My 944T has a a hydrolic clutch
RON S.

I did mine with a hydraulic clutch several years back.

I grafted a 964 master cylinder onto my pedal cluster,and used a Wilwood

slave cyl.on the trans end.

The pics are several years old,so everything has been tightened up to work properly.

Ron
degreeoff
KISS (keep it simple stupid)

just my $.02.....
Brando
944 master cylinder, second reservoir, 944 slave cylinder. Inexpensive and will work good. Just need to do a little fabrication on the transmission end for a bracket that holds the slave cylinder in place to activate the throwout bearing.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 13 2007, 02:33 AM) *

My 944T has a a hydrolic clutch

Lots of cars have hydraulic clutch release systems. That wasn't the question. The question is about hydraulic throwout bearings. Completely different way to arrive at the same thing, and a bad one, IMO. The Cap'n
Downunderman
This is the Tilton one:
http://www.tiltonracing.com/content.php?page=hydraulic
However, as i'm using a 911 pull clutch I could do it externally.
Cap'n Krusty
You're STILL missing the point ..................... Take a look at this:

http://www.novak-adapt.com/images/pics/jee...out_bearing.jpg

The Cap'n
Brando
Why would someone want that? Super-pain-in-the-ass when it fails. (Not IF but when).
Mikey914
I understood the throwout bearing question. I was pointing out that the 944 has a system that may be adapted without using a hydrolic throw out bearing.
drive-ability
QUOTE(Brando @ Aug 13 2007, 10:16 PM) *

Why would someone want that? Super-pain-in-the-ass when it fails. (Not IF but when).

I agree if it fails your in for more work and expense to replace it, but as I see it there are less moving parts, less bearing races to wear etc. I have a 930 transmission and there is a lot of things leading up to releasing the clutch disk. I would go that way and may but it would have to be correctly machined and good quality. With a big pressure plate there is a ton of pressure placed on the factory parts as well as alignment issues that are critical when using a heavy PP.
I don't disagree if you have something working, why change it?
alpha434
Ok. He's got everybody's recommendation about it being a failure point.

Now. If you want to comment any further, lets make it about where to get one or how to go about doing it. Repeating over and over again about what a bad idea it is doesn't help anything and it may piss the asker off.

It's not like he's talking about making it out of titanium or anything. And he may have a good reason for wanting to do that over an external hydraulic slave cylinder. Maybe a reason that he doesn't care to disclose.

And on the other hand, if the recommendations in regard to the throw-out bearing being a failure point have helped. The asker should state so, so that it would be reasonable to give advice in that direction.
Downunderman
Don't get it Krusty, the link is to the Tilton concentric throw out bearing. The only failures I have heard of is in formula type race cars where the thing is surrounded by the oil tank cast into the bell housing. In which case you have to use a different seal which will handle the higher temperatures. All manner of Saabs have used them for years without problem.
TimT
So jeep used a crap concentric hydraulic throw out bearing....no real surprise there.

FWIW we own a GT3RS which was run at LeMans a few years ago. This car came from Porsche with a Tilton clutch and hydraulic t/o bearing. I suppose if Porsche supplies there racecars with that equipment it should be some pretty good shiznits. You know to survive basically 24 hours of full throttle numerous upshifts/downshifts abuse.... The t/o bearing clutch are pretty bulletproof.... thought the axles are another thing alltogether ( and at $5000 blink.gif )

Tilton used to make a 901 specific t/o bearing along with a 6 bolt flywheel... but those items have disappeared from there selection. Wevo now makes the hydraulic t/o bearings.
Loser_Cruiser
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 12 2007, 08:07 PM) *

I own a 91' jeep wrangler renegade and just this last year had to replace the throw out bearing, but this was after 16 years and about 125k miles. More than half of its life spent in L.A. traffic. Other than being a PITA to change when it does fail. it seems like a good enough design. and in a 914 it wouldnt be that tough to fix. Sounds like less time trying to fabricate a way to use the slave cylinder as well.
Downunderman
Tim,

It seems that Porsche sell the same axles up there as they do down here. We use the used ones for practice starts, then toss them. For a race car about as useful as legs on a snake.

Cheers,

H
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.