Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does going from a four to a six
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
An engine swap is not happening anytime soon for me, but I plan on doing it one day. Would doing so require ditching the 4 lug set up for 5 lug?

Ideally I'd probalby be looking at installing a 2.7 six, nothing bigger.
SirAndy
short answer: NO

but, if you add a lot of "go", you might want to consider adding some "oh shit, stop" as well ...
shades.gif Andy
markb
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 11 2007, 10:15 PM) *

but, if you add a lot of "go", you might want to consider adding some "oh shit, stop" as well ...
shades.gif Andy

agree.gif
JPB
Might as well go for some flares since them stockish skins don't have much rubber on the road either. beer.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 11 2007, 11:15 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

agree.gif There isn't much more to say, you can improve the brakes on a 4 lug but the options for brake type and rims / tires is greater with 5 lug. And then theres the COOL factor.
Joe Ricard
Vented rotors would be a required item if you were to do DE's or other such race track lapping work.

For street you shouldn't be going that fast anyway.

And since getting a six would lead to trackingit then putting big rubber o it would also be a requirement so then flares are the required step. either the HPH one's like JP's car or GT flares like mine. Then when you get going really fast splitters and wings and race seats and harnesses and roll bars or cage. and of course REAL shocks and springs
propricer
Adding flares with 5-lug will cost even more than the car is probably currently worth ... if done professionally ...

Steel flares ... $ 1,500
Install ( 8 Hrs per corner x $ 100 / Hr ) ... $ 3,200
Wheels ( 7 & 9 x 16 Fuchs + new lugs, center caps, etc. ) ... $ 3,000
Tires ( mounted & balanced, etc. ) ... $ 1,000
Brakes ( Big Red, etc. ) ... $ 1,500
Incidentals ( paint touch up, etc )... $ 500

Adjust each up or down as you see fit ... so how much does that add up to and what's your car worth ???

Oh, and that doesn't include the cost of the 2.7L along with the 'stuff' necessary to glue it all together !!!

rjames
Adjust each up or down as you see fit ... so how much does that add up to and what's your car worth ???

It sounds like it would be cheaper to buy a car that is finished already, but unfortunately I like the idea of converting a car myself. I'll have to see how much money I can squirrel away in the next year or so. Recently I found a '74 911 with a running 2.7 engine for $4k and it got me thinking...

For street you shouldn't be going that fast anyway.

I'm less concerned about fast, and more interested in 'quick'. My car goes fast, it just takes a long time to get there smile.gif

Thanks for all the input guys! beer.gif If I were to go go ahead with this at some point I'd be doing all the work myself, including installation of the flares, although I'm not convinced I'd want them anway. I like the look, but for a car that would probably only be driven on the street they don't seem necessary.
Time to buy another lottery ticket...
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(rjames @ Aug 12 2007, 01:59 PM) *

Recently I found a '74 911 with a running 2.7 engine for $4k and it got me thinking...

If you buy it you will get your engine, front suspension, brakes and it will be 5-lug in front. From the rear you will have your rotors, calipers and hubs (I think they'll fit). Sell the rest.

Aaron Cox
you dont need flares for a six rolleyes.gif

ive picked up a few 911 M front ends for sub 300 bucks. gets you vented rotors and M calipers, A and S front ends are a tad more.

for the rear, send eric a good chunk of change AND your trailing arms, and he will redrill and stud your hubs, do bearings and bushings for ya smile.gif

AA
JPB
happy11.gif
scotty

you might want to consider adding some "oh shit, stop" as well ...
shades.gif Andy

I heartily "third" that!

It sounds like it would be cheaper to buy a car that is finished already

Isn't there some guy here who's willing to sell his for $25K? happy11.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(scotty @ Aug 12 2007, 05:44 PM) *

you might want to consider adding some "oh shit, stop" as well ...
shades.gif Andy

I heartily "third" that!

It sounds like it would be cheaper to buy a car that is finished already

Isn't there some guy here who's willing to sell his for $25K? happy11.gif

Yeah, isn't there? Or, did the Evil One have the fear of Gawd put into him. Or, did he just make the right decision to hold?
jimkelly
my understanding is that stock brakes if in tip top condition will stop most any 914 when street driven - not track raced - with that said - 5 lug is nice and I especially like a narrow body 5 lug conversion. Get sway bars if you don't already have them. jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.