Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Master cylinder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
whitey
What is best way to go...keep my 17mm MC and rebuild it or go to the 19mm. If the 17mm is the way to go where do you get the best rebuild kit for the 17mm.

Thanks, Dave
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(whitey @ Aug 13 2007, 02:12 PM) *

What is best way to go...keep my 17mm MC and rebuild it or go to the 19mm. If the 17mm is the way to go where do you get the best rebuild kit for the 17mm.

Thanks, Dave

Hi Dave, first, you are going to get an arguement eather way. I run a 19mm, the pedal is a little stiffer, what I mean is it is a little harder to push to get the same braking as with a 17mm. But I had never submarined a passenger before I put in the 19mm. I think it stops quicker... confused24.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Repeat after me: "I resolve to NEVER rebuild, or attempt to rebuild, a master cylinder. If I fail in my resolve, and rebuild one, I will NEVER drive behind, or anywhere near, The Cap'n or anyone he cares about."

If you have reason to believe the master cylinder needs to be rebuilt, it should be replaced with a new one, because the part that needs to be repaired can't be without sleeving it. You may now thank me for saving your life, and the lives of others on the road.

The Cap'n
914-8
agree with cap'n about rebuilding. these things last a long, long time and aren't that expensive to replace with new. buy a new one, it'll probably outlast the rest of the car.

with stock brakes, I'd go 17mm. The brakes are unboosted, and need all the help they can get, IMO. With the same amount of leg pressure, the 17mm will give you greater stopping power than the 19.
URY914
The job getting your mc in and out is hard enough without the added work of rebuilding the damn thing. Rebuilding it is not worth the time. Buy a new one.
jhadler
Don't rebuild it. Throw the old one away and get a new one. Your life (and everyone you share the road with) is far too important...

As for 17mm vs. 19mm? That's an argument that could go on and on and on and on and...

A 19mm will give you the same stopping power with less pedal travel. But there's a trade off, the same braking force will require more pedal pressure with a 19mm than it will with a 17mm. The 19mm makes it easier (most would say) to heel toe. But the 17mm, with longer travel, makes it easier (arguably) to modulate the brake pressure at threshold.

Which one you will want is ultimately up to you.

That being said, I run the 19mm, and I like it.

YMMV.

-Josh2
914-8
Good summary. Although I think the 17mm makes it easier to heel/toe, because, among other things, it gets better stopping with the same pressure, and puts the brake pedal in a better position (closer) to the accelerator pedal.

But it's all pretty close. The biggest "pro" for the 19 is that it is cheaper to buy and easier to find (is the 17 even available new anymore?). On a stock system, though, if I could find both at the same price, I'd take the 17.
Eric_Shea
I think I can solve the rebuilding problem... 17mm rebuild kits aren't available.

Get a new 17mm or a 19mm, which ever you prefer.
blitZ
I went with a 19mm as it's cheaper and if I go 5 lug one less thing to do. I really can't tell any difference.
BahnBrenner914
I went with a 19mm when I had to replace my squishy brake pedal. A little extra braking with the 19 and if you upgrade later, it's already there.
lotus_65
... so where's the best place to buy the 19mm?
URY914
If you are a PCA member, try some of the parts suppliers that have ads in the back. There is one in Miami called Vertex that has a lot of standard replacement parts. Don't worry about it coming out of Miami, it probably will come out of a warehouse about 5 miles from your house.

Also Pelican, AA, or several others will have them.
Eric_Shea
I seem to remember seeing them for $179.00 somewhere... confused24.gif

biggrin.gif
So.Cal.914
Eric, I like the black cat at night avatar. Or is that a coal mine in a black out...POV of an oil drill bit?
914nerd
Best I've seen recently was 185 at AA
lotus_65
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 14 2007, 06:11 PM) *

I seem to remember seeing them for $179.00 somewhere... confused24.gif

biggrin.gif

laugh.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(BahnBrenner914 @ Aug 13 2007, 07:49 PM) *

I went with a 19mm when I had to replace my squishy brake pedal. A little extra braking with the 19 and if you upgrade later, it's already there.

Define "a little extra braking with the 19". It takes MORE pedal effort to achieve the same amount of pad movement (pressure) with the 19mm master cylinder vs. the 17mm version. Simple fluid mechanics. The Cap'n
Eric_Shea
Eric, I like the black cat at night avatar. Or is that a coal mine in a black out...POV of an oil drill bit?

Think about it...

Back to the M/C's; I'm almost certain I saw them SOMEwhere for $179.00 and actual shipping costs! biggrin.gif
URY914
I remember when they were $99.00 than they went up to $109.00. mad.gif
Eric_Shea
Yeah but you're really, really old... slits.gif
PRS914-6
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Aug 14 2007, 07:16 AM) *

I have one that is brand new. I installed it but changed my mind and went to 993 brakes. I'll make you a good deal PM if interested
lotus_65
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Aug 15 2007, 12:09 AM) *

QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Aug 14 2007, 07:16 AM) *

I have one that is brand new. I installed it but changed my mind and went to 993 brakes. I'll make you a good deal PM if interested

Thanks, but I got the hookup already... or was it here...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.