Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear wing project COMPLETED with pics
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2
URY914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Oct 15 2007, 05:59 AM) *

You are making a wing?
Looks like a 60's surfboard. Wood core and all.

You building an engine?
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 15 2007, 11:08 AM) *

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Oct 15 2007, 05:59 AM) *

You are making a wing?
Looks like a 60's surfboard. Wood core and all.

You building an engine?

NO I am buildng a RACE engine. slap.gif
URY914
Sure you are.
Joe Ricard
Yup.
just got the pistons back 10 minutes ago.

all systems go for New Red Neck Racer power.

Gots a wing gonna make a bigger splitter. All I need then is you to come out here so I can school you on how to drive.
URY914
Do you have a race pillow that you sit on so you can see over the dashboard?
andys
Mugs914,

Which direction did you run at The Streets? CW or CCW?

Andys
Mugs914
CCW, including the bowl, though I think I like CW better...
andys
QUOTE(Mugs914 @ Oct 15 2007, 08:11 PM) *

CCW, including the bowl, though I think I like CW better...

That's what I suspected, but wasn't sure by looking at the photos. It's a way different track in each direction for sure. Yeah, I too prefer the CW direction.

Andys
Mugs914
Any progress to report Paul??

popcorn[1].gif
URY914
Excellent question, Mike. These were taken today.

biggrin.gif

URY914
I slotted the rear trunk lid tonight so the supports will fit in the slots.

URY914
I also fitted the big engine scoop on it tonight. More pics tomorrow.

byndbad914
holy downforce batman... good lord! Only comment - spills could be a little bigger.

happy11.gif As light as your car is it will cause wheelies above 75mph hahaha. Nice work - I always appreciate when someone can build their own stuff!
URY914
Spills=End plates?
Joe Ricard
Them thar end plates is real nice.
How high up is that thing above where the roof line should be?
The last pic shows it being high as hell.

Gonna make a bigger splitter up front?
mudfoot76
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Oct 27 2007, 11:18 PM) *

holy downforce batman... good lord! Only comment - spills could be a little bigger.

You'd better keep that car locked up or else I forsee some ricer stealing it to mount on the trunk of his mom's 1992 Accord sedan av-943.gif
URY914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Oct 29 2007, 10:33 AM) *

How high up is that thing above where the roof line should be?
The last pic shows it being high as hell.

Joe, you worry about the rules too much.

Mugs914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 29 2007, 07:19 PM) *

Joe, you worry about the rules too much.

av-943.gif

Looking great Paul. Can't wait to see it with the scoop...
URY914
scoop....

URY914
scoop

URY914
scoop

URY914
done
URY914
done for now
Chris Pincetich
smilie_pokal.gif
beerchug.gif
2 more weeks until the race? Any "shake-down" runs around the block yet?
URY914
This weekend is Rennsport at Daytona so I won't have any runs on it before the event. My fingers are crossed.
Joe Ricard
Can't or at least shouldn't run that car around the block.
The tires he has on it will pick up all the rocks pebbles and sand in the entire county.
Not much grip then, not to mention spending 2 hours picking out huge rock form out of the rubber.

Hmm wonder how I know this??????????
I too was a dumb ass once. biggrin.gif
flesburg
Do you think the end plates will make the car too sensitive to crosswinds?

I know nothing about aerodynamics (maybe cant even spell it) but I do understand
down force and what it does for stability at speed, but crosswind seems to me is
an enemy.
URY914
I've thought of that too. If I think crosswinds are really causing me problems I'll cut the end plates down.

My other thought was, on an a/x course you don't spend much time going in any one direction for very long. So any crosswind effects will be short lived.

Joe Ricard
I noticed my car felt like it had a rudder after the addition of of solid stands and 100 sq. in. each end plates. Go fast enough and it will inhibit some of that loose feeling.
URY914
I hope the course doesn't have a long stright to start with. I may not be able to turn the s-wheel at the first cone. blink.gif
john rogers
You could add some of the off-road cutting brakes and then you could turn even if the front wheels are off the ground. They might be at the first cone!!??
Joe Ricard
Or you could learn how to drive that thing.

Want me to come out and show you? Need a couple of telephone books to see over the dash. Last time I sat in your car I felt like a little kid and was staring straight at the steering wheel hub.
stownsen914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Nov 1 2007, 10:34 AM) *

I've thought of that too. If I think crosswinds are really causing me problems I'll cut the end plates down.

My other thought was, on an a/x course you don't spend much time going in any one direction for very long. So any crosswind effects will be short lived.

I doubt crosswind sensitivity will be a big issue. In the pro racing ranks, when teams are allowed to run large end plates, they do. THese days most of the sanctioning bodies limit end plate size (e.g. ALMS).

Check out this URL on mulsannescorner.com explaining why it's good to have large end plates. In addition to helping to self-correct if you get sideways (the end plates act like rudders), they actually increase the wing's effectiveness even in a straight line!
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/wingendplates.html
URY914
That is one of my reasons for the big ass end plates.
URY914
I ran with the wing for the first time Sunday....

URY914
Here is "proof" that it works biggrin.gif

Mugs914
Awesome Paul! beerchug.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

How about a "driver's report"?
Joe Ricard
And why would you say it works? the ass end is still just as high in the air as before.

Supposed to make down force not lift.
I would (as we talked via Email) do some suspension work.

Hmm looking at the POOF pic. were you under braking or acceleration?
URY914
I'm braking of course.
Aaron Cox
joe is sippin on haterade.

watch out yall, ricky bobby is here smile.gif

So how soon till joe gets signed by the Nascar bubbas for his driving ability? laugh.gif

Joe Ricard
Hey man this is the RACING section.

What you doing here?
atomix8
Paul,

I'm squinting pretty hard but I still can't tell, which track is that? I'm in Maryland right now, but I grew up in Central Florida (Orlando) and my parents live about 30 minutes from Sebring right now. I'm trying to figure out what track that could be in the ~Tampa area.

Awesome car by the way. Definitely a car better suited to Florida than this mid-Atlantic weather (mine's officially parked for the year!).

Congrats on a great project! What was the weight gain for the wing, or maybe I missed that part of the post?
URY914
That track is the go-cart track at Moroso in West Palm Beach. Not exectly an a good a/x layout, but you take what they give you.

I haven't weighed it with the wing yet.
john rogers
You need to measure the amount of downforce at various speeds.
URY914
Joe is going to come down and drive beside me and measure from the top of the wing to the ground at various speeds. I'll post the results.
McMark
Now to make the end plates pivot with the steering wheel. happy11.gif
maf914
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 17 2007, 06:39 PM) *

Now to make the end plates pivot with the steering wheel. happy11.gif

Which way should they pivot? In the same direction as the steering wheel (understeer) or in the opposite (oversteer)? Either way sounds wicked! wacko.gif

I say tape yarn tufts all over the body and wing and take a series of photos at 50, 100, 150 and 200 mph. We really need to see what what the hell is going on with all of these cool aero mods. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.