Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Parts Detailing (paint? no paint?)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kfieler
Click to view attachment

Okay... my fuel injectors are out of the car and are being shipped-off for servicing by WitchHunter.

I can't bring myself to put dirty parts back in a car, so in the down-time, I want to clean and prep them for re-installation.

Here's where I need help...

1. What is your favorite method for cleaning 914 parts (such as fuel rails, injector retainers, etc.)?

2. After cleaning them, do I leave them the h*ll alone and stick them back in the car, or should they be shot with some sort of clear-coat?

I am a details-oriented person and would love to "dress-up" the engine as I go. I have contemplated painting parts (or having them powder-coated) - like intake tubes - as I R&R them, but I don't know if that is a big mistake or not.

I am not going for a concourse restoration with this car, so I don't mind making a few cosmetic changes. I don't, however, want to wind-up with a car that looks like a circus clown and become the subject of someone else's future PO story!

Any advise you "pros" can provide to a "newbie" would really be appreciated!

Thanks!

- Keith
John
Those were plated. They were yellow. You could have them re-plated CAD or yellow zinc, or you could always paint them.

In my opinion, if I were painting them, I would use a subdue color. Either black or gray to match the intake runners.

In the end, it's up to you.

Brian Mifsud
A few guys on the forum have bought the home-plating kits and seem to like the results. You can put a heavier than original Zinc plating on those parts and never have to worry about them again.
rhodyguy
wipe/scrape off the heavy grime, wipe down with laquer thinner, run them through the dishwasher, don't get caught, put them on.

k
jaminM3
Has anyone tried the home powdercoating kit from Eastwood? I am curious how well it works.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(John @ Aug 17 2007, 01:45 PM) *

Those were plated. They were yellow. You could have them re-plated CAD or yellow zinc, or you could always paint them.

In my opinion, if I were painting them, I would use a subdue color. Either black or gray to match the intake runners.

In the end, it's up to you.

Yes, they were plated. No, they weren't "yellow". They were a dull silver version of what's called "bright cad". The Cap'n
jasons
When I went through this.....

I just lightly cleaned my rails (steel wool or scotch brite) and sent everything else out for powder-coat, semi gloss black of course. But, I sent a pile of parts (all my tin and + more) to the powder-coater at one time.

If I were doing a home job, I would probably just rattle can those parts semi black.
Pat Garvey
Krusty is correct - the retainers were NOT cad plated, but bright silver plated. The fuel rail, however, WERE cad plated. I'll send a pic if anyone's interested.

Don't powder coat parts that weren't painted, please!

It's easy to clean up the retainers. Degrease, bufff & apply Simichrome. They'll look new.
Pat
jasons
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 17 2007, 05:34 PM) *

Don't powder coat parts that weren't painted, please!

Degrease, bufff & apply Simichrome. They'll look new.
Pat

Mine were rust colored. Simichrome wasn't going to help.
DanT
wire brushed mine to get off the gunk and then hit them with some rustoleum black.

also wire brushed and then hit the fuel rails with some metal polish.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.