Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need your critic eyes: is this a good /6 ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gustl
In general this would be a /6 like I want it: MY'70, signal orange, nice overall condition. But as a matter of fact, I'm not good in finding the "not so good areas" of a car. The guy who offered it to me sent me a couple of photos.
I have all of them in high res, but I don't want to waste too much space, therefore I shrinked them.
So, if you need a detail in full size, just tell me ...
Gustl
both doors seem to be lowered - is this just an adjustment thing ??
dlo914
Any pictures of the "longs"? The door sag could be from worn out door hinges or a buckling body, but i dont think it's the 2nd option from the way the hell hole looks it looks more like a heavenly hole.
Gustl
some front trunk
Eric_Shea
both doors seem to be lowered - is this just an adjustment thing ??

Yes, you simply adjust the longitudinals! biggrin.gif

Looks good on my first pass. thumb3d.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Aug 21 2007, 07:44 PM) *
Any pictures of the "longs"?

unfortunately not yet
the guy told me that he has got a car lift, but it currently doesn't work
he will send me additional photos when the lift works

then he will remove the rocker panels to get a better impression of the longs

unfortunately the car is about 7 hrs away from my place
so I try to find out if it's worth the long way - the car is not cheap
the seller is asking about € 25k - that's about $ 35k ...
Gustl
some interior

Ferg
Looks like it has had a extensive full repaint. I would guess any metal work on the longs was done at that time. Nothing jumps out as bad, but door alignment is weird.

Ferg beerchug.gif
jtf914
agree.gif Definite repaint.

Looks nice, but since you are asking, what's this, repair to the trunk hinge?
Rand
Door alignment scares me. You MUST find out why they are like that. If it has structural damage that is making it sag, or if it had damage that was repaired and they didn't line things up correctly during the repair, then that would be a serious concern of mine.

I know first hand about POs being able to hide rust damage and crappy repairs. If I buy another 914, I'm making damn sure it's solid for real.
Gustl
QUOTE(Justin Fischer @ Aug 21 2007, 08:00 PM) *
Looks nice, but since you are asking, what's this:

I've no idea ??

here's the high res photo:
URY914
BTW, the battery is missing. biggrin.gif

Looks good from 7000 miles away.

Gustl
a little "under the car" - without car lift ...
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I would say that this car was a poor whitewash at best by someone who did not know the cars. I would really worry Still worth 20 grand though
Johny Blackstain
It has been repainted- trunk hinge wheel should be white plastic, not sprayed Orange. Noticed there's no foglight switch on the dash as well. There's still that red six in Richmond I have yet to check out... $25K US

http://shn.pca.org/mart.htm
Ferg
All that after market undercoat, is a big flag that this car "must" have a up close inspection on a lift. Not a car I would buy without really spending some time going over it.

I know prices are more over there, but agree, this is a low to mid 20's six in the states. Assuming all the rust was addressed.

Ferg beerchug.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Aug 21 2007, 08:17 PM) *
Noticed there's no foglight switch on the dash as well.

that's o.k. - it has additional high beams
that was standard in Germany
front fog lights were available at additional cost
tdgray
I would want to know why it was repainted and when and possibly by who. Maybe you can contact them to get the real story.

Those door sags bother me. The interior does not look particularly well cared for either.

Just my .02
SirAndy
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 21 2007, 11:11 AM) *

I would say that this car was a poor whitewash at best by someone who did not know the cars. I would really worry Still worth 20 grand though

agree.gif

he's asking too much money for what you get. keep looking ...
bye1.gif Andy
Gustl
QUOTE(Ferg @ Aug 21 2007, 08:25 PM) *
Not a car I would buy without really spending some time going over it.

well, I won't spend that much money without a detailed inspection of the car
but this might take me 2 days and a guy with lots of 914-6-experience who comes with me

but with all your infos so far I guess I won't put more effords in this car idea.gif

davep
I don't see the Karmann badge. Perhaps it was painted over. Basically I agree with others, it does seem to be overpriced. For that money I would like the see the bottom as detailed as the top. Boot missing on the transmission switch, lots of little things.
tdgray
I think that is the right call Wolfgang
rwjames
QUOTE(Justin Fischer @ Aug 21 2007, 02:00 PM) *

agree.gif Definite repaint.

Looks nice, but since you are asking, what's this, repair to the trunk hinge?

I have seen several 914's that this indentation rusted out for some reason. Not sure what it is for though. Maybe done in the stamping process for some reason.

The driver's side has this same little round area and I have seen them rust on that side too.

Looks like a decent six, but sounds a little high.
John
Were the headlight blinds on the early cars (914/6's) bolted in as shown in the photograph?

Is that the right engine lid release handle?

Unfortunately they didn't remove the rear trunk springs for the repaint (as pointed out previously), the rear trunk paint looks funky. It looks like there could be hidden damage under the paint (several areas look this way to me).

The heat exchangers are ratty looking, etc.

You asked for a critical eye.

If I were to spend that kind of money on a 914 (which I would not ever do), it would need to be perfect. This one is not.

For that kind of money, I would think a real, real nice one could be located in California and shipped back to you.

just my opinions.
Gustl
QUOTE(John @ Aug 21 2007, 10:43 PM) *
You asked for a critical eye.

absolutely - and I appreceate every input thumb3d.gif

QUOTE(John @ Aug 21 2007, 10:43 PM) *
For that kind of money, I would think a real, real nice one could be located in California and shipped back to you.

I was thinking about that several times - and if there is the correct car I will consider the re-import. But - unfortunately - there occure various expenses (shipping, customs fees, import taxes, getting it street legal, ...) which would raise up to about USD 10~12k.
With a car from Europe I will pay no customs fees and import taxes, and shipping is significant cheaper. This would be a big finencial benefit.

But of course - I want a real good car, not the cheapest I could buy ...
Pat Garvey
Other thn the thing with the doors.....

Why was the rear boot Schutzed prior to painting, yet the front boot not?

Why is there no seal for the front lid?

Other issues:

Center console w/guages & the rear lid hinge area.

Still, from "outward" appearances, looks like a decent six. I agree with the others - $20-22K.

Looks like really nice paint though....& the right color!

Good luck!
jtf914
In case you are still going to check the car out, I think I saw 930 lower valve covers on the engine. These are a nice upgrade, but if they haven't been machined down some you can't remove them with the engine in the car... this means the engine has to come out for valve adjustments.
9146FAN
Gust-

In my opinion, you should stay far away from this car. It is a very rough 6. Everything in these pics is saying stay away.

I know it's more dificult in Europe to find a nice car. Be patient, a nice car will become available. Look at the bright side, you'll be able to save-up some more money while being patient.

Good Luck,

Eddie
Elliot Cannon
Gotta get those rocker panels off. Poke the longs with an ice pick. If you don't have an ice pick I have some Italian friends who can lend you one. av-943.gif
Elliot
T H O M A S
vin # on the front fender dosen't look right,stamped to deep?
swood
It's funny...I was at OTTO'S today and he's got a /6 that looks like this (same color, but nicer) that he's putting back together. It's really clean, fresh repaint, engine out being rebuilt. I really thought that these photos were of that car! It'll go for about the same price I suppose.

Just my observations from my day...
Gustl
QUOTE(Justin Fischer @ Aug 22 2007, 04:48 AM) *
In case you are still going to check the car out, I think I saw 930 lower valve covers on the engine. These are a nice upgrade, but if they haven't been machined down some you can't remove them with the engine in the car... this means the engine has to come out for valve adjustments.

what's the benefit of 930 valve covers - why should I want them (in general - not only on this car) confused24.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(swood @ Aug 22 2007, 06:29 AM) *
It's funny...I was at OTTO'S today and he's got a /6 that looks like this (same color, but nicer) that he's putting back together. It's really clean, fresh repaint, engine out being rebuilt. I really thought that these photos were of that car! It'll go for about the same price I suppose.

I know Otto's car for a couple of years - and I really love it wub.gif
it might get really interesting when it's ready
but then there are all the additional costs until it's over the big pond, customs fees, import taxes, geting it street legal and so on ... about US$ 10k ...
this might kill the deal idea.gif

we'll see - I'm patient enaugh shades.gif
davep
The 930 valve covers are stronger / stiffer, thus they tend to leak less, especially when the good gaskets are used. However, the taller ribbing interferes with the body / suspension, thus making on-car removal difficult to impossible. I suppose that if bolts were used instead of studs and nuts it might be less difficult.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.