Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Damn! Just found some rust behind the pedal assembly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
levonfarra
How bad does this look? I poked with screw driver, but nothing poked through.

Is this a commen rust area and is it diffecult to repair (and how do I repair it)?

Is this area originally not painted?

Please advise.

Thank you,

Levon

Click to view attachment
thomasotten
Your car has about 3 years left to it. Maybe 4. Seriously, that does not look bad. Get a steel brush and some rust proof paint and you are fine. It's just rusty there because that is one area that did not get painted real well from the factory. When you read on this forum about people talking about rust, it is not that. It is more like this...

IPB Image

And even that is not that bad! biggrin.gif
echocanyons
looks like a parts car happy11.gif
Hammy
Agreed. Looks like surface rust. If it's flaking off and has holes, then you got trouble.
swood
I have the same thing but it's adhesive for the carpet, not rust.

No Fred Flinstone braking in your future... smile.gif
Rand
No worries. I would clean it out good, probably with a wire wheel, brush some Ospho on it (or other rust converter of the like), let it do it's job for 24 hours, and paint it with some Hammerite (or other tough paint).... Done deal.
kfieler
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 22 2007, 11:13 AM) *

No worries. I would clean it out good, probably with a wire wheel, brush some Ospho on it (or other rust converter of the like), let it do it's job for 24 hours, and paint it with some Hammerite (or other tough paint).... Done deal.

Here is another example (my car). I was worried about the surface rust and appreciate the fact that 1). I don't have a serious problem and 2). thank you for the rust treatment tips!

Thanks!

- Keith
skline
Those cars are gone! There is no saving them, send me the address and I will come pick them up and dispose of them properly. happy11.gif
tdgray
Rust.... that's not rust... good god you people are spoiled out there.
jd74914
QUOTE(tdgray @ Aug 22 2007, 04:32 PM) *

Rust.... that's not rust... good god you people are spoiled out there.

agree.gif I wish my car had needed rust like that fixed biggrin.gif

Just spray on some rust converter and then rustoleum it.
levonfarra
You guys ROCK!

I feel so much better now that I know it is not a serious issue.
I will clean and paint the area with POR15 ASAP.

Levon

piratenanner.gif
swl
QUOTE(kfieler @ Aug 22 2007, 12:03 PM) *

I don't have a serious problem

Keith,
Definitely no problems that can be seen but if you are going to go in there with some POR or whatever you might want to a little more exploring. What is different on yours from Levons is that your rust is getting worse as it gets lower in the car suggesting the car has seen some dampness down low. You might want to see if any of the nearby floor tarry stuff can be scraped off. If it can scrape it off easily you will probably find a little surface rust there as well. If you can't get it to come off easily then you are good to go. Pull up some carpet and just check down near the floor and see if there is anything on any of the vertical surfaces down where they meet the floor. This is just one of those ounce of prevention things. Light rust under the carpet or tar can progress unseen. Best to stop it early.
kfieler
QUOTE(swl @ Aug 22 2007, 03:41 PM) *

QUOTE(kfieler @ Aug 22 2007, 12:03 PM) *

I don't have a serious problem

Keith,
Definitely no problems that can be seen but if you are going to go in there with some POR or whatever you might want to a little more exploring. What is different on yours from Levons is that your rust is getting worse as it gets lower in the car suggesting the car has seen some dampness down low. You might want to see if any of the nearby floor tarry stuff can be scraped off. If it can scrape it off easily you will probably find a little surface rust there as well. If you can't get it to come off easily then you are good to go. Pull up some carpet and just check down near the floor and see if there is anything on any of the vertical surfaces down where they meet the floor. This is just one of those ounce of prevention things. Light rust under the carpet or tar can progress unseen. Best to stop it early.

Hey, Steve... Thank you for your concerns and advice on my car!

I've had the carpet off of both floor pans looking for rust. The worst thing that I perceived was the rusty, left bolt that holds-down the accelerator pedal. The left portion of the pedal was partially "fused" to the floor (as seen in photo).

I am definitely going to take your advise and check the integrity of the "black tar stuff" and search even deeper for any problems.

I had planned on installing a new accelerator pedal and leaving it at that. Now I am led to believe that the pedal assembly has got to come-out... and if it comes out, it’s got to be rebuilt... and then the rust treatment... and then... blink.gif

Geez... I've had this car for a month now and haven't even fired it up yet! Just when I thought I was getting closer to taking a spin...

Enough venting... thanks again for your advice and I'll do the job "right"!

- Keith
swl
Well that rust isn't going to get worse in a hurry - specially since you list yourself as being in the desert. Why not get her running then come back and do the preservation stuff. Having one that will move under its own power is great - keeps you motivated.
highways
Redoing your pedal assembly is easy and fun. It's a really good idea to take it out anyway so that you can paint that floorpan underneath the assembly... that's the lowest point where the water pools. You can see in yours pics on the front firewall how the rust is crawling up from the floor. Mine was like yours... and I'm glad I caught it when I did.

You can follow Eric Shea's pedal assembly rebuild in the Classic Thread section link You just order the brass bushing kit for the assembly (like $20)... send the dissambled pedal assembly off to the platers... (another $20) then a week later when you get it back it only takes an hour or two to re-assemble.

Your old assembly which looked like this:

Click to view attachment

with old cracking plastic bushings like these (not good when your dealing with your brake system!):
Click to view attachment

can become brand spanking new like this with solid brass bushings:
Click to view attachment

These are pictures from Eric's rebuild thread. Mine turned out well too. I think Eric also offer's a rebuild service at very good rates if you don't want to do it yourself.
Eric_Shea
Not any more but thanks for the pub. I do have the bronze bushing kits on the el cheapo though.
Cevan
That's not rust. This is rust:

Click to view attachment
euro911
QUOTE(highways @ Aug 22 2007, 07:26 PM) *

... send the disassembled pedal assembly off to the platers... (another $20) then a week later when you get it back it only takes an hour or two to re-assemble.

*Tools ... check
*Penatrating oil:
. ('Liquid Wrench') ... check
* Blast cabinet ... check
* Bushing kits ... check
* POR-15 ... check

Plater ... where did you find a plater around here who works for less than a $50. minimum charge? unsure.gif

Please advise ... biggrin.gif
euro911
That is definitely rust sad.gif

'Rust is no bargain ... at any price' Roger Squires
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.