Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Caution - RANT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mugs914
As a few of you know, I'm in the process of opening a shop in north San Diego county. Today I spent a particularly tedious day chasing forms, numbers, more forms to get more numbers that are needed to go on the forms to get the numbers I needed in the first place. sad.gif Of course none of the forms or numbers are the right ones when you present them to the people that asked for them in the first place. unsure.gif And of course none of them seem to know where to get the right forms or numbers, blink.gif or if my particular business actually needs those particular forms and/or numbers, wacko.gif just that they need those forms and numbers to process their particular form.... headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif

fighting19.gif fighting19.gif fighting19.gif

boom.gif boom.gif boom.gif

I'm confident that persistence and the right size ball bat will eventually get all this crap taken care of at some point.

Don't worry, when the grand opening happens it will be announced here first!

By then all this garbage will be forgotten and it'll be beerchug.gif beerchug.gif monkeydance.gif monkeydance.gif monkeydance.gif ! Well, until Monday anyway...

End of rant...
Eric_Shea
banned.gif

You've been banned for posting a rant in the wrong forum without the right permissions.

biggrin.gif
jim_hoyland
Sorry to hear: but, good to hear somebody starting up a business. How about some info: What, where, when ? Are you gonna have a grand opening ? smile.gif
Twystd1
Any cute chicks gunna work for ya....?????????????????????????????????????

Cause I need a good reason to drop by and support you to win....

Da Twystd1
bondo
Too bad about the bureaucratic nonsense. Julie is still going through red tape crap relating to getting her teaching credential. Glad to hear you're starting up a business... I'd like to do that someday. Are you hiring? smile.gif

Julie and I are going to move to northern SD (escondido or vista) as soon as our house sells... and I don't yet have employment lined up.
Zundfolge
"Bureaucracy is the epoxy that greases the wheels of progress."
-Jim Boren
Mugs914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 22 2007, 07:29 PM) *

How about some info: What, where, when ? Are you gonna have a grand opening ? smile.gif

Well, I'm actually buying a small sports car/race shop in Vista CA. The owner opened about 15 years ago working mostly on Alfa Romeos, but of course things will take more of a Porsche leaning with me.

I hope to be up and running next week (providing the bureaucrats can be appeased). I have a few cars waiting for the doors to open, so I want them open NOW....

Will I have a grand opening? C'mon now! OF COURSE!!! Probably in a month or so after I get things settled a bit. My wife and I are still planning the party, but we're thinking meet at the shop in the morning, a nice run up into the twisties around here, then back for food, drink, music and general hanging out at the shop.

Of course when the date is set for the grand O you guys will be the first to know.
Mugs914
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Aug 22 2007, 08:06 PM) *

Any cute chicks gunna work for ya....?????????????????????????????????????

Cause I need a good reason to drop by and support you to win....

Da Twystd1

Clayton, if thats all it takes to get you to visit I'll be sure to have a couple on hand! thumb3d.gif
Mugs914
QUOTE(bondo @ Aug 22 2007, 08:12 PM) *

Too bad about the bureaucratic nonsense. Julie is still going through red tape crap relating to getting her teaching credential. Glad to hear you're starting up a business... I'd like to do that someday. Are you hiring? smile.gif

Julie and I are going to move to northern SD (escondido or vista) as soon as our house sells... and I don't yet have employment lined up.

Not hiring right away, but I will be before too long. You never know...

I would recommend Vista over Esondido myself. Esco is just far enough inland to be too bloody hot for me! I've lived in Vista for over 30 years and we're not planning on moving any time soon...
Mugs914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 22 2007, 07:26 PM) *

banned.gif

You've been banned for posting a rant in the wrong forum without the right permissions.

biggrin.gif

LOL!!

What form do I need to file a rant? confused24.gif

Thanks for the chuckle, I needed it today!
So.Cal.914
Good luck on your new business, Vista is nice, I lived in leucadia for a few years.
neo914-6
Mike,

I was once getting the run around about a setback approval between the city planning dept and the building dept whom don't seem to talk to each other. I used the "they will approve the plans if you will approve them" approach and it worked!

I'm sure you'll get by, unfortunately I believe these red tape roadblocks are their job security...
Eric_Shea
What form do I need to file a rant?

I'm not sure...

Start with form IPB36910-2-3-456 and then get in that line over there...

alfred.gif

lol3.gif
73Phoenix20
Congrats on taking over a Sports Car oriented business, and pointing it toward us Porschephiles!!!

We are thinking of buying a part time retirement home in SD... any decent properties in or near Vista, that you can see water from, for less than a Million??? I'm tired of fighting hurricanes down in the Keys!
Chuck
Mugs914,

I feel your pain. A good portion of what I do for a living is helping people start small businesses. Because I do it all the time, I've learned to bypass a good deal of the bureaucracy and how to work it when you have issues. But, I do it all the time and still have issues occasionally. I can see how it can be frustrating for someone who doesn't do it all the time to manage.

If you have any questions I might be able to help with, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Chuck
jd74914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 23 2007, 11:38 AM) *

What form do I need to file a rant?

I'm not sure...

Start with form IPB36910-2-3-456 and then get in that line over there...

alfred.gif

lol3.gif

You mean that other line right . . . biggrin.gif
Twise
European Auto Body here in Esco - Be sure to drop off some business cards. See you at the Grand Opening, and best of luck to you...
byndbad914
working with the city sucks major ass - had my own biz for awhile and went thru tons of paper crap myself. I swear it was all created so someone had a reason to get their whole family hired in. I think their primary requirement is that all applicants must have no more than an 8th grade education.

If it helps, my good friend had plans approved to do a "remodel" of his house, tore it down to just a little bit of the living room, then after digging a new foundation the inspector realized it wasn't done correctly. Turns out the plans were slightly off - he has been living in his GARAGE for just over a year now and every couple months he gets plans revved, takes it back to the city and they find two more things they don't like and kick them out. It has been so long his 1yr permit ran out blink.gif Mind you this is for plans they approved (which took almost a year at that time) and he waited until he had "certain" approval before demo. Absolute disaster at this point and he is stressed because it is technically illegal to live in your garage. Ugh, F'in city gov'ts.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Aug 23 2007, 04:24 PM) *

working with the city sucks major ass - had my own biz for awhile and went thru tons of paper crap myself. I swear it was all created so someone had a reason to get their whole family hired in. I think their primary requirement is that all applicants must have no more than an 8th grade education.

If it helps, my good friend had plans approved to do a "remodel" of his house, tore it down to just a little bit of the living room, then after digging a new foundation the inspector realized it wasn't done correctly. Turns out the plans were slightly off - he has been living in his GARAGE for just over a year now and every couple months he gets plans revved, takes it back to the city and they find two more things they don't like and kick them out. It has been so long his 1yr permit ran out blink.gif Mind you this is for plans they approved (which took almost a year at that time) and he waited until he had "certain" approval before demo. Absolute disaster at this point and he is stressed because it is technically illegal to live in your garage. Ugh, F'in city gov'ts.

I worked in property development for many years, I could be wrong but it sounds

like your friend pissed them off. I've seen it before. He needs to meet with the

man in charge at the building dept. and be humble. Ask him what 'He' needs to

see this permit thru. It has worked for me.
byndbad914
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Aug 24 2007, 06:30 AM) *

I worked in property development for many years, I could be wrong but it sounds like your friend pissed them off. I've seen it before. He needs to meet with the man in charge at the building dept. and be humble. Ask him what 'He' needs to see this permit thru. It has worked for me.

hmm, yeah he is a pretty cool headed dude so I don't think he would have ticked them off. His WIFE on the other hand dry.gif she may have lipped off a time or two for all I know.

He went down a couple months ago, then wrote a letter and basically ended up having a special person finally assigned to make sure the plans get checked once, changes noted and that should be it. The permit wasn't the issue originally, it was that somehow the way the foundation was layed out is different for a couple types of construction (I, as you can tell, know wholelottanuthin 'bout this stuff) and apparently the plans had one type of construction and the other type of foundation, and it was cleared, permit granted, etc. He hacks the house down, digs for the new foundation and an inspector swung by and realized it was wrong.

Been a year and really he went back to the architect and had it redone with the right foundation, then they started nit-picking crap that has nothing to do with it and every time he goes back they decide there is a couple more things they don't like.

All that stuff was fine a year ago, and apparently the foundation update was fine too.
ar15.gif
JPB
To answer your question, YES we are always at one end or the other of the red tape burocrap stupidity. As you are experiencing which most of us nonconnected folks do, you are at the ASS END of the process. beer.gif

If I had a plan, it would be to run it without any paper work until they come and get you to which point you can say with a bewildered face, "Really, I didn't know that?" Then they would help you hand and foot. Since you are in Califooooonia, you have no worries because they are the most tolerent, loving, caring, helpfull, and open minded folks in the whole country right? happy11.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Aug 25 2007, 10:41 PM) *

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Aug 24 2007, 06:30 AM) *

I worked in property development for many years, I could be wrong but it sounds like your friend pissed them off. I've seen it before. He needs to meet with the man in charge at the building dept. and be humble. Ask him what 'He' needs to see this permit thru. It has worked for me.

hmm, yeah he is a pretty cool headed dude so I don't think he would have ticked them off. His WIFE on the other hand dry.gif she may have lipped off a time or two for all I know.

He went down a couple months ago, then wrote a letter and basically ended up having a special person finally assigned to make sure the plans get checked once, changes noted and that should be it. The permit wasn't the issue originally, it was that somehow the way the foundation was layed out is different for a couple types of construction (I, as you can tell, know wholelottanuthin 'bout this stuff) and apparently the plans had one type of construction and the other type of foundation, and it was cleared, permit granted, etc. He hacks the house down, digs for the new foundation and an inspector swung by and realized it was wrong.

Been a year and really he went back to the architect and had it redone with the right foundation, then they started nit-picking crap that has nothing to do with it and every time he goes back they decide there is a couple more things they don't like.

All that stuff was fine a year ago, and apparently the foundation update was fine too.
ar15.gif

Yup, sounds like someone pissed someone off. The bummer is if he

dosen't "smooth" it over as he starts building he will need inspections on the

foundation, undergrounds, framing, shearwall, lathing. etc. If they (Building Dept)

still don't like him they can find endless things to tag him on.

I am not saying your friend is a bad guy, anyone that has to deal with 'The City'

and dosen't want to "throttle" them at every opportunity, was probably there to

get a dog licence.
JPB
All one has to say is,"How much will it cost to pass inspection?" Its a magical line that will get you everywhere with inspectors. Plan for a percentage of the building costs in this system. beer.gif

-"Don't sweat the petty stuff my brother, rather, pet the sweaty stuff."

AAAaaah yes, words to live by, by: JPB
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.