Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oppinions, carb vs FI
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stephenaki
FNG question again. The 72 914 I just bought has a set of delorto (dellorto?) carbs versus the stock FI set up. I know nothing about these carbs other than that they are very similar to Weber carbs. I am much more familiar with HS2 and HS4 carbs on British cars.

So what is the general thought on carbs versus FI? Should I consider converting it back to FI or just keep and tune the existing carbs?

If converting back to FI, how difficult and/or expensive of a project will this be? Enquiring minds want to know.
jr91472
Depends on what is inside the motor. If you still have the stock cam, then the FI will run best. If you have a carb friendly (aftermarket) cam, then stick with the Dells.

How does it run now? Carbs with a stock cam can work fine, just not optimum.

Dells are great (most say they flow better than the Webers). I love mine!!

beer.gif

QUOTE(stephenaki @ Aug 22 2007, 08:17 PM) *

FNG question again. The 72 914 I just bought has a set of delorto (dellorto?) carbs versus the stock FI set up. I know nothing about these carbs other than that they are very similar to Weber carbs. I am much more familiar with HS2 and HS4 carbs on British cars.

So what is the general thought on carbs versus FI? Should I consider converting it back to FI or just keep and tune the existing carbs?

If converting back to FI, how difficult and/or expensive of a project will this be? Enquiring minds want to know.

stephenaki
Good question, I have no friggin idea and I don't think the guy that I bought it from has any idea either on what cam she's got in her. I am thinking not since the previous owner (the one prior to the guy now) did work on the engine and put in 2.0 jugs.

I may just let sleeping dogs lie, at least until she shows up and I get a chance to drive her around and see how she performs.

Eric_Ciampa
I just got a 914 running with a set of dells on mine and I am loving it. Jr is right that the stock setup will run the best with FI but I can't tell any measurable distance. I am sure you will get a good amount of opinons on both sides. This is one of those never ending debates. Just my opinion, but just make sure your system is dialed in and your car is running correctly.

toon1
QUOTE(stephenaki @ Aug 22 2007, 09:17 PM) *

Do a search, there is soooooooooooo much info on this, it will make your head hurt.

It boils down to what you like. I am a fan of FI so that's what I have. Simlple as that
So.Cal.914
FI sucks, stick with the carbs. hide.gif

Do a search, there is soooooooooooo much info on this, it will make your head hurt.

It boils down to what you like. I am a fan of FI so that's what I have. Simlple as that

Its so true, been discussed, some like FI and some like carbs. For FI its a nice

setup if your drive takes you to extreme changes, like altitude and temp. For

carbs, I (now this is me) have had less trouble with my webers and I like the

performance. driving.gif

Joe Ricard
Tune em and run em as they are.
or
Dump tons of money into a hole that you can't see the bottom of.
or
get some measuring tools and find out what ya got.
Then dump tons of money into it.
jhadler
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Aug 23 2007, 07:03 AM) *

Actually, carbs suck. And FI blows... biggrin.gif

-Josh2
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(jhadler @ Aug 23 2007, 04:44 PM) *

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Aug 23 2007, 07:03 AM) *

Actually, carbs suck. And FI blows... biggrin.gif

-Josh2

I always that the joke was:

Cal sucks and UCLA swallows laugh.gif
IPB Image

biggrin.gif
stephenaki
Interesting banter, don't know much about FI. I know that once my HS2 carbs on my MGs were tuned in you really didn't have to mess with them.

I will be going through some significant altitude changes when I drive back from Sicily, Italy to Stuttgart, Germany. Depending on when the car gets in, October or November, I hope the heater works!

Its getting a thorough once over at Euro sports in Virginia Beach, VA before it gets put on a ship.

I will look up tuning info on the carbs to get more info, thanks for all the replies.
SirAndy

Oppinions

yes! popcorn[1].gif
toon1
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 28 2007, 12:03 PM) *

Oppinions

yes! popcorn[1].gif

NO! popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.