Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 73 2.0 Decel valve
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
koozy
I got a 73 with a 2.0 that didn't have a deceleration valve. I'm tuning it now and wonder if it is critical to have one. Can anyone shed some light on this?
swl
I'll let the experts give the definitive answer but my understanding is that it is a polution control thing. My old 73 1.7 did not have one installed and it ran just fine.

Unless of course the deceleration valve has something to do with slowing down rust. If that is the case then I can blame my rust on not having one.
JeffBowlsby
It was recently found that removing the decel valve puts more stress on the MPS...I would leave it in for around town driving...
koozy
Ah, yes.... I found this at
http://www.rennlist.com/techarticles/djetronicfuel.htm

Deceleration Mixture Control Valve

Located at the pressure sensor bracket, this valve leans out the mixture when the throttle is closed. This is purely an emissions control device. If it is removed and its associated air lines plugged, no performance change will result. However, this may cause you to fail smog certification in some states. A leaking decel valve will cause a high idle condition (test by pinching off the air lines).
por73914
QUOTE(koozy @ Aug 24 2007, 11:20 AM) *

Ah, yes.... I found this at
http://www.rennlist.com/techarticles/djetronicfuel.htm

Deceleration Mixture Control Valve

Located at the pressure sensor bracket, this valve leans out the mixture when the throttle is closed. This is purely an emissions control device. If it is removed and its associated air lines plugged, no performance change will result. However, this may cause you to fail smog certification in some states. A leaking decel valve will cause a high idle condition (test by pinching off the air lines).

When I unhook mine the car smells REALY rich at idle! shades.gif
koozy
Hmmmmm..... I think I'll get one. I better not put any undue stress on that hard to find MPS.
koozy
Thanx....... Now to just find one...
blitZ
I removed mine, car runs the same. Cleans up the engine bay, less opportunity for vacuum leaks.
koozy
Are they different for the size motor or are they all the same part number?
por73914
QUOTE(koozy @ Aug 24 2007, 12:01 PM) *

Are they different for the size motor or are they all the same part number?

I have one out of my 74 2.0 beerchug.gif
koozy
How much do you want for it?
por73914
QUOTE(koozy @ Aug 24 2007, 12:16 PM) *

How much do you want for it?

PM Sent. driving.gif
addwestern
Drove all of my car without them. It was my understanding that the Euro Spec cars never had them stock.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.