Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What can I do with a 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
quadracerx
I have a 73 1.7 motor...whats the biggest bore you can do...with and without machine work(how big will that make the more?)....

IF I decide to do machine work what exactly needs to be done?

Can you suggest a machinist in the Seattle area that is qualified to do this work?

Thanks....

Steve
SirAndy
QUOTE(quadracerx @ Aug 25 2007, 11:12 AM) *

I have a 73 1.7 motor...whats the biggest bore you can do...with and without machine work(how big will that make the more?)....

the easiest upgrade would be a set of 96mm pistons & cylinders.

that'll give you 1911cc

add one of Jake's Cams and a set of dual 40 IDF weber carbs and you have one peppy little 1.7L ...
bye1.gif Andy
orange914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 25 2007, 12:33 PM) *

QUOTE(quadracerx @ Aug 25 2007, 11:12 AM) *

the easiest upgrade would be a set of 96mm pistons & cylinders.

that'll give you 1911cc

add one of Jake's Cams and a set of dual 40 IDF weber carbs and you have one peppy little 1.7L ...
bye1.gif Andy

you'll have to open the head to cylinder mating surface up- or - go with 1.8 or 2.0 heads. if you go with the 914 (non bus heads) you'll also have to change/ modifiey the 2 spark plug tins. thumb3d.gif

mike
SirAndy
QUOTE(orange914 @ Aug 25 2007, 03:23 PM) *

you'll have to open the head to cylinder mating surface up-

yes. i thought that was obvious when increasing bore, but thanks for pointing it out ...

shades.gif Andy
Twystd1
This could get into a real lengthy conversation that has been played out here MANY times.

So I have a question for you that will help you get to your result in the best way possible.

Question: How much money are you allocating for ALL of your engine performance mods?

The answer to that question will help US to help YOU.

You could easily put out 15 - 20K + for the best of the best. Or you could do a basic performance rebuild for around 1500 bucks including carbs using deals from the fellas here and searching for the best used performance deals/parts possible.

It's all about the Benjamins VS performance.

Name your price.......

Regards,
Clayton
So.Cal.914
You could get a good used 2.0 crank and rods, 96's for a 2.0, cut your heads for

the 96's, a cam from jake and a set of 40's (webers smile.gif ) from the classifieds. You'll

end up with a 2056cc. 2.0 heads would be better but if money is tight the 1.7's will

do, and no mods. Have fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.