Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AAAAh! Blown oil coooler!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JPB
I took a couple of cans of break cleaner and blasted the whole engine under the tin. Its like a freekin power washer in a can. The under cariage is like concourse clean now. I started the engine and found a little oil leaking from the oil pump, and the oil cooler dripping like a blown valve cover gasket.

The question is, coolers, what should a grown boy get for his beater? I can go to any VW mag or the bird board and get somthing but what would you do if you started over again? A multi pass cooler with a fan was installed by the PO on the driver's side ahead of the engine mount. All very nice high end hoses and no cable clamp deals. I'm thinking of putting it in the front of the car and cutting my front bumper. You all seem to have better ideas than I so; what say you? beer.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(JPB @ Aug 25 2007, 12:43 PM) *

what say you?

front mounted cooler with plenty airflow over them work by far the best ...

my 3.6L does not have a internal/on the engine cooler and my oil temps have never been over 210, even on a 100+ central valley stop & go for 10 miles day.

when driving her hard at speed, even on a really hot day, it never gets over 190 ...
driving.gif Andy
DanT
how about in the floor of the front trunk?
15 one and a half inch holes directly below

25 row mocal with 1600cfm fan for cool down laps
DanT
and cooler and fan installed over grid
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Aug 25 2007, 01:09 PM) *

how about in the floor of the front trunk?
15 one and a half inch holes directly below

you could have had the same amount of surface by just unscrewing those two big factory plugs ... biggrin.gif

that way, you don't have to cut into the tub and it's easily reversible.
shades.gif Andy
DanT
Yes Andy, but then the air exit would not have been directly under the cooler... smile.gif
JPB
Hooly crap Snoopdanydan. You are sucking air from underneath the car! I likes it and would have never thought of that. I gots ta think this one out ovaheeya. beer.gif
orange914
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Aug 25 2007, 02:10 PM) *

wow, nice pump conversion. i wish i had seen this before modin' mine.

sorry for the hijack, carrie on thumb3d.gif
DanT
QUOTE(JPB @ Aug 25 2007, 02:27 PM) *

Hooly crap Snoopdanydan. You are sucking air from underneath the car! I likes it and would have never thought of that. I gots ta think this one out ovaheeya. beer.gif

I am not sucking air from underneath....

air is coming in from the front of the chassis and then down thru the cooler. The fan pushes air thru the cooler out the bottom of the car.

pic shows 5 of the front rubber plugs removed from front bulkhead and 5 corresponding holes drilled in the FG LE air dam....for air in
JPB
I, now the blind man sees! beer.gif
Twystd1
"The holes in the front of your bumper........
Makes me horny for some unknown reason"

Slits at GAF 2005
JPB
QUOTE(orange914 @ Aug 25 2007, 07:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Aug 25 2007, 02:10 PM) *

wow, nice pump conversion. i wish i had seen this before modin' mine.

sorry for the hijack, carrie on thumb3d.gif

Since your on the pump convergio the PO didn't have a bad idea heeya. The battery thingy just has to go in my mind. I'd rather have a drycell in the engine bay than my boat gel cell in the front trunk. Heavy battery and ten feet of welding lead just dosen't work for old JPB. Sorry PO dude. beer.gif
DanT
here is my battery solution
JPB
Ya gotta linky for that battery homeskippy? Looks mighty impressive and hopefully more economical than Odyssey's stuff as well as street use friendly. beer.gif
Allan
Iffin itsa /4, why not just keep the stock cooler.

I'll bet it's the seals leaking and not a blown cooler...
JPB
You might be correct since I still haven't taken the remote cooler out and looked above it. Brilliant! The engine has a 103mm bore and runs up the heat fast on them Chinatown specials. I need some Nikies. beer.gif
DanT
Contact 914cats on this board...or try contacting them thru their new website
www.barrickpickeringracing.com
JPB
QUOTE(Headrage @ Aug 25 2007, 09:39 PM) *

Iffin itsa /4, why not just keep the stock cooler.

I'll bet it's the seals leaking and not a blown cooler...

Wish it was that symple I just noticed the original cooler is on the opposit side of the engine and is a dry as mother superior. Blown cooler it is broskillets! Its sawzall-smiley.gif time WWWHhahahahahahhahah. happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.