Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If you had a weber progressive, would you buy these?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
purple
Well guys...It looks like this gentleman, from this forum, has a pair of hotness weber 40 IDF's rebuilt...what do you guys think?

What's involved with putting these on? http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=75459

Is the price good? I can get a whole new set for ~800 with linkages and full gaskets
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

I have 40IDF on my 914 ,love them. Oh of course i went from the Boat Anchor weber progressive also. What a difference,wow, there was a stop along the way with
34 ICT's ,two small. Price on the 40's is fair,not a smokeing deal,but fair.

New is new, $250.00 difference ,does that buy piece of mind or guarantee I don't know. Me i would go with the new. Did I when I got mine NO,wish I did ,I spent
time and money to dial them in ,jet wise. My 2 cent,s probbly not worth that!

slap.gif Dave
purple
Do the 40's from 9motorsport come jetted for 914's?

i would personally like the peace of mind of new from 9motorsport
type11969
For 950, if you buy from aircooled.net, you get your carbs setup for free and I believe you can keep on swapping out jets for free to dial them in perfect for your engine (they used to do that, not sure if they still do):

http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewprodu...020&cartid=
purple
Damn, that's badass!

I bet I'd spend more in jets and shipping to get the right ones after getting the kit from somewhere else. And I know Jake knows what he's doing with these.

Now, about coming up with 1 M note....
sww914
After I got my 44's, I made 1 call to Fat Performance in So Cal. I explained to them what I already had in my carbs, what size cam, valves, pistons, compression, etc., and they sent me a set of jets with an optional set of idle jets to try. It runs perfect!
Unbelievably good! There's nothing like blasting past well prepared 911's on the straightaway in a 914-4!
Fat performance has been building racing T-4 engines for as long as some T-4 engine builders have been alive.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(purple @ Aug 27 2007, 09:37 AM) *

Well guys...It looks like this gentleman, from this forum, has a pair of hotness weber 40 IDF's rebuilt...what do you guys think?

What's involved with putting these on? http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=75459

Is the price good? I can get a whole new set for ~800 with linkages and full gaskets

Make an offer, If I remember correctly webers are not made in Italy any longer.

They come with everything, and everything costs money. These appear to be

rebuilt. Up to you but I have been useing and rebuilding mine sense 82 and they

still rebuild and work well.

type11969
Thats not Jake's website (dunno if he offers a similar deal though), it is John Connelly's (sp) who has been on the VW scene for a long time. Definitely knows what he is doing . . .

QUOTE(purple @ Aug 27 2007, 09:55 AM) *

Damn, that's badass!

I bet I'd spend more in jets and shipping to get the right ones after getting the kit from somewhere else. And I know Jake knows what he's doing with these.

Now, about coming up with 1 M note....

purple
My problem is that i have NO idea what's in my engine. It may even be a bus engine as it's got hydro lifters. So I guess jetting would be some exercise in turd polishing?
type11969
Well with the engine and head serial numbers you should be able to get an idea of the displacement, the valve sizes, and the source of the engine . . . that should be all you need to get close enough. Hydro lifter engine isn't going to spin much past 5k, my guess is the valves are pretty small (actually I think the hydro engines only came with one valve size), so with that you can make a good guess about vent size, mains are based off vents and max rpm, idles and airs you can just start at a generally accepted value and go from there.

Reference for serial numbers:

http://www.tunacan.net/t4/reference/index.html

type11969
Oh, and if you got a wide band O2 sensor then you could really get it dialed in just right.
Joe Ricard
Even if you stumble blind drunk and dumb getting the right for one variable like hot humid. You will need different jets for cold dry.

The carbs in the original link are older style. nothing wrong with them just different acceleration linkage.
Twystd1
There has been A LOT of bad press on the new Webers.
Yet I have a tendancy to tryst ANYTHING John Connely sells at Aircooled.net. He is a very good guy and very knowledgeable.

Go check out Cal look or the Samba forums... They bag on the NEW webers pretty badly.. (as of 6 months ago) Maybe something has changed.

ME... I would just rebuild an old set. Cause I have done so many over the years. I know what to look for. And I can usually get em for a bout 400 a set.

Thats my experience. Yours may be different.

Cheers,
Clayton
Twystd1
OOOps..... Double post
purple
I sprung for the rebuilt carbs. I figure I can spend a whole lot of time on tuning the rebuilt ones and putting blockoff plates on them for the extra 400 bux.

YIPEE!!!! PROPER CARBS!!!!!

anyone want some weber progressive toilet paper now? biggrin.gif
SGB
I believe Brian has some sweet parts he has never used. Do theycome with any jets?
it is no real mystery- try 55 idle, 125 main, 180 air.
purple
Thanks for the tip scott. I'm going to find as many manuals as i can for these, but just before I start, how many jets of each do i need? what do those jets you mentioned do?
type11969
4 of each, 1 per barrell.

Check your vent size, make sure it is not huge otherwise it may be tricky to tune. Especially if you have a low revving bus engine.
So.Cal.914
Cool, now you need NO, a blower, a couple turbos and a fire extinguisher. smile.gif
SGB
QUOTE(type11969 @ Aug 28 2007, 07:35 AM) *

4 of each, 1 per barrell.

Check your vent size, make sure it is not huge otherwise it may be tricky to tune. Especially if you have a low revving bus engine.

"vent" = Venturi, the narrowing openning inside each barrel. Usually a 40 idf carb comes with 28mm venturis. It is stamped on the venturi itself.
I see the ad says "jetted for 2.0" so it is very likely you got the jet sizes I listed. One thing I see that is good is that your new carbs have "jet doctors"- those tubes sticking up from the top- that will help prevent problems in high G turns (I don't have 'em YET)
Jake Raby
I have been doing test work for the largest Weber dealer in the US on the new carbs. The failure rate on them is about 60%, the biggest and most widely found issues are throttle bores that are not round causing bound up butterflies as well as porous castings that leak fuel both internally and externally.

We have to use these carbs on our engines so it is important that we find the issues as well as make our client aware of the issues so they can scream at Weber and make them take their parts back.

From now on any carbs that we sell will be bolted to an engine and ran on the dyno prior to being shipped, this will cost a few more bucks and will slow the order down but with a failure rate @ 60% and so many carbs with issues in circulation right now it is mandatory.

Here are some of the casting flaws that we found yesterday with a brand new Weber 44mm carb.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Fat performance has been building racing T-4 engines for as long as some T-4 engine builders have been alive

That is true, however they were not called upon to find the source of these carburetor issues and provide a solution to them. This solution will benefit every single VW/ Porsche enthusiast that buys a set of Weber carbs in the future.

The guys at FAT are great, and I am proud to have them as a true competitor.

purple
well, i lost sleep over the deal, and the guy returned the money because his paypal isnt set up correctly. I'm just not ready for this yet, i'll get more into the car and fixing more important things along the way....good thing he returned the money because I really can't afford this right now... sad.gif

maybe as a casob 914 owner i can fab a carb out of a trash can and some boxtops.... idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.