Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint Overspray
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
por73914
Is there a way to get paint overspray off of chrome and lenses? confused24.gif
URY914
Rubbing or polishing compound and elbow grease.

Chrome and glass will be easy. Plastic lenses you need to by VERY carefull.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 28 2007, 09:54 AM) *

Rubbing or polishing compound and elbow grease.

Chrome and glass will be easy. Plastic lenses you need to by VERY carefull.

agree.gif Though you can use 'Goof off' on the chrome and glass, not plastic.
por73914
Thanks Guy, I think I will buying all new lenses. I bought a 72 Charger from a guy that painted it black along with all the lenses and some of the chrome...You know how expensive masking tape can be? WTF.gif
markb
If you soak the stuff in Simple Green for awhile the paint will come right off. I'm told you're not supposed to use it on aluminum, though.
por73914
QUOTE(markb @ Aug 28 2007, 12:22 PM) *

If you soak the stuff in Simple Green for awhile the paint will come right off. I'm told you're not supposed to use it on aluminum, though.

I will give that a shot tonight...I have already accepted that I was going to buy lense so if it hurts them no big deal. Thanks for the tip! beerchug.gif
SGB
Please let us know if it works.
914rrr
QUOTE(por73914 @ Aug 28 2007, 01:46 PM) *

QUOTE(markb @ Aug 28 2007, 12:22 PM) *

I will give that a shot tonight...I have already accepted that I was going to buy lense so if it hurts them no big deal. Thanks for the tip! beerchug.gif

Before you buy new lenses, you might try Novus plastic polish. Comes in 3 different 'grits'. Works wonders on removing DAPO mistakes like overspray from lenses.
orthobiz
I read you can use clay to take overspray off.

Paul
IronHillRestorations
Laquer thinner will probably take off the paint.
HoppHead
IMHO I think a clay bar works better, is gentler on the paint and less messy. One can always go a bit more aggressive if needed.

HH
por73914
QUOTE(SGB @ Aug 28 2007, 07:41 PM) *

I let a lense soak overnight in Simple Green and it did not work for me. Also I might add the chrome has some over spray but the lenses were just painted over.
WTF.gif
tdgray
Go to your local flaps and get a clay bar and the solvent they sell with it.

Works damn good
markb
QUOTE(por73914 @ Aug 29 2007, 04:55 AM) *

QUOTE(SGB @ Aug 28 2007, 07:41 PM) *

I let a lense soak overnight in Simple Green and it did not work for me. Also I might add the chrome has some over spray but the lenses were just painted over.
WTF.gif

You might need to leave it longer than overnight.
I soak old cruddy foglight surrounds for a while (week?), and the stuff washes right off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.