Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo angle drive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimtab
I am trying to change the speedo angle drive because it went to puppy heaven and I can't seem to get it to release...I took out the "lock bolt" in the back...duh but, I turn and turn on the nut on the piece into the trans and Nothing. the outer part of it came off of the part that's hooked to the trans (I think that may have had something to do with the problem....so where do I go from here...I hate to just start prying and banging without knowing what the hell I'm doing....I'm sure it's something simple and I'll feel stupid when you tell me so here's your chance to "do" me...HELP!

OK, never mind, the search engine started working again and I found Mikes VERY cogent article...relax, smoke em if you got em.....
SirAndy
QUOTE(jimtab @ Aug 31 2007, 09:44 PM) *

I took out the "lock bolt" in the back...duh but, I turn and turn on the nut on the piece into the trans and Nothing.

no girly turning action involved, just pull, old man ...
poke.gif Andy
Dr Evil
Dude, what are you doing? Arent you out of your skill set tongue.gif poke.gif
jimtab
Mike....you have no itdea....now I can't get the nut and "cylinder" off of the drive that goes into the tranny....got it soaking in WD...I will prevail....eventually......
Cap'n Krusty
Why are you removing the drive pinion? It's an uncommon failure point. 99 times out of a hundred, it's the angle drive. Does the shaft turn as you rotate the tires (both must turn the same direction, or one must be locked, and it can be out of gear)? If it doesn't turn, you have internal tranny problems. The Cap'n
Dr Evil
Jim, it would have been easier to leave the angle drive in the tail. If you have it retained by the set bolt then you have something to leverage against (dont go too hard if it wont budge) when you crack the nut loose. Is it leaking from the inner seal?
jimtab
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 1 2007, 09:35 AM) *

Jim, it would have been easier to leave the angle drive in the tail. If you have it retained by the set bolt then you have something to leverage against (dont go too hard if it wont budge) when you crack the nut loose. Is it leaking from the inner seal?

Too late, I already pulled the whole thing out of the tranny, and finally with enough wd I got it apart, changed the seal o-ring and cleaned up everything...don't know if there is a leak as I drained the tranny (didn't know I could have left all that in...) now on the reinstall I need to take a look at the lock bolt threaded insert, I think the po must have overtorqued the thing because the threaded insert is about a 1/16 in. proud of the case...is the insert pressed in or threaded on the outside? Why don't the books give any info on this stuff? Why did I try this myself? Screw it I'm going to Sonoma for the rest of the day.... screwy.gif
jimtab
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 1 2007, 08:13 AM) *

Why are you removing the drive pinion? It's an uncommon failure point. 99 times out of a hundred, it's the angle drive. Does the shaft turn as you rotate the tires (both must turn the same direction, or one must be locked, and it can be out of gear)? If it doesn't turn, you have internal tranny problems. The Cap'n

Cap'n it was the angle drive, I just wasn't aware of how the whole thing went together I had already done all the "tests" to diagnose the failure point...just didn't know enough about what had to be done from there....obviously... blink.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Ask first, act later. Act first, then ask, then cry later. Glad you got it handled. Of course, it cost you a load of gear oil you wouldn't have needed. The Cap'n
jimtab
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 1 2007, 05:12 PM) *

Ask first, act later. Act first, then ask, then cry later. Glad you got it handled. Of course, it cost you a load of gear oil you wouldn't have needed. The Cap'n

I come from a long line of hardheads...ask anyone.... smile.gif
jimtab
Success, the baby is born, the part is installed and I have Speedo again....now if I could figure out the difference the 50 series tires make I'd actually know the speed I'm traveling....well, I'm sure some representative of the law enforcement community will come to my aid eventually....Thanks to all for your help and support.
Dr Evil
Good talking to ya today, man! Glad it worked out thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.