Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: P210 ball joint tool
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doug Leggins
I am rebuilding the front suspension and would like to know if someone has a ball joint tool that they can part with - sell/trade/loan. I usually love the opportunity to buy tools, but I think that I would only use this tool twice to install the 2 new ball joints.
Aaron Cox
same here...i broke down and bought one. my dad will use it when he restores a 911 wink.gif
JeffBowlsby
Dave Hunt just made one recently from a 2" dia pipe fitting. Search for his recent recent thread under DNHunt.

Here is the link:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...&f=2&t=7524&hl=
Rusty
I think the ball joints on my 1970 were original. It took a torch and serious BFH to get the nut free. I'm sure I would have snapped that flimsy little tool.

I was quite impressed with the "pipe wrench" tool pic that was posted recently. That was damned cool.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Gint
Mine is out on loan right now. When do you need it?
Doug Leggins
I need one in about 2 weeks.

I'm thinking that this tool would work great using a 1/2" impact wrench.

I have been using an impact wrench and a butterfly style wrench the past few days and have been impressed on how much easier each job is with these tools.

I did manage to shatter a 30mm socket yesterday. 2 pieces flew off in different directions. A little scary - I now wear safety glasses each time that I use the impact wrench. Those damn castle nuts are a PITA!!!
aufaber
Oh damn, was it an impact socket?
Doug Leggins
It was not an impact socket. I know that I shouldn't have done that but...

I thought that I was likely to crack the socket but I really didn't think that it would bust apart and send pieces flying.

One of those live and learn moments. and fortunately nothing really bad happened.
Gint
Tell you what Doug, if you really want to borrow the tool, email or PM Eric Shea (he might even see this post and reply). If he can be done with it and ship it to you in time for you to get your work done, you're welcome to use it. Then you'll have to ship it back to me.

After you guys work it out, let me know what's going to happen.
Aaron Cox
can you use an impact wrench with the p210 socket? seing as i have both.....
Brad Roberts
The one I use takes a 1/2 inch drive air gun. I dont think I have ever used one with a breaker bar.. always the air.

B
Aaron Cox
cool....got my dad a craftsman impact wrench. 240 ft/lbs of torque!
Gint
So Doug, I never heard back. Sounds like Eric is done with the ball joint tool and has shipped it back to me. Do you still need to borrow one?
Eric_Shea
So Doug, I never heard back. Sounds like Eric is done with the ball joint tool and has shipped it back to me. Do you still need to borrow one?

Yup... I shipped it back before I saw your first reply. You should have it Friday or Saturday. Might want to open it before shipping it out again... there's a Christmas present for you in there. smile.gif
Gint
Thanks E!
Doug Leggins
Gint,

Thanks for the offer to borrow the tool. But, I decided to buy one.

I was ordering CV's and related stuff from Paragon and just went ahead and bought the ball joint tool also.

More tools mueba.gif
Gint
No sweat Doug.

Yup... I shipped it back before I saw your first reply. You should have it Friday or Saturday. Might want to open it before shipping it out again... there's a Christmas present for you in there.  

Eric, It came in Saturday. Thanks for the beer money, but you really didn't have to do that.
Eric_Shea
you really didn't have to do that

You really didn't have to be so generous as to send your tools across state lines. Drink up beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.