Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Virginity Lost? Bought a part that is bogus
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Pat Garvey
I must be some kind of freak, because I've never bought a part from someone that didn't turn out to be righteous! Until now.

I've picked up things from just about everywhere through the years (no, not diseases! - parts), and never, ever been stung. Now, I think I have been & don't know how to deal with it.

This wasn't a Craigslist or Ebay item. It came from a World member. No names will be used. No inference to the part will be used. But it did come from a regular World contributor. In all fairness, and because I know that some people will jump on the Dr914 bandwagon - it was not from George.

I don't want to give too much away here, because I've not contacted the seller yet. I've been too pissed off to try to work it out with a clear head.

Suffice it to say, the part I was looking for is rare and nearly unobtainium. The seller contacted me after a wanted ad on my part, sent me copious hi-res photos, we struck a deal, I paid, he sent.

What I recieved WAS the correct part, but, unless the pics were fooled with, is NOT the part represented. It is, in fact, useless(& I mean that) and full of man-made defects. It cannot be repaired. It cannot be used, because it will break on installation. It is a piece of junk! Not a cheap piece of junk.

If this had been purchased from eBay I'd just take my loss for not asking enough questions. But, this purchase came from the "brotherhood".

So, I'm wondering how some of you would handle this?
Pat
rhodyguy
let him know it wasn't what you were expecting. if it's a standup seller he'll make it right (hopefully).

k
Twystd1
I would not talk about it on the board at all, until i had exhausted all avenues of recompense with the seller.

Clayton
TedK
Yes yes, contact seller first. Do not be aggressive or accusatory, make it a dialogue and see where it takes you. If it goes south from there come back and ask for suggestions, names of hit-men, etc.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Sep 11 2007, 08:37 PM) *

I would not talk about it on the board at all, until i had exhausted all avenues of recompense with the seller.

Clayton

I brought it up here first because I'm too pissed to duscuss it immediately with the seller. Looking for insight, because I have never had this problem before!

Maybe I should have just cooled down first, but thought I just might get some insight. Guess not.
hwgunner
Pat, i know I have sold a thing or two to you, or atleast theguy i sold it to was as crotchety as you, and if it was a part that i sold you then I would give you a full refund no questions asked. Depending on the part I may not even ask for it back if it really is in that bad of shape. beerchug.gif

914-8
terms like "great condition" "mint" and "excellent" mean different things to different people.

simply send the seller an e-mail saying that the part is not in the condition you expected, and if he wouldn't mind taking it back and issuing a refund.

the first step is as simple as that.
VaccaRabite
If it were me...

I'd delete the content of the first post, and ask a mod to make this thread go away. Then I'd got have a beer, and relax for a bit. Tomorrow, I'd contact the seller, and see if an agreement can't be made. Give him a chance to explain, and I bet a reasonable end can be had of the situation.

Zach
PeeGreen 914
agree.gif
JB 914
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Sep 11 2007, 07:37 PM) *

Clayton

Yep agree.gif

Cowboy up and talk to the seller man to man. If the tables were turned, wouldn't you expect the same from him/us?
cooltimes
If the part you purchased was partially based on written or verbal description that said it was what you wanted, along with those photos mentioned and had a higher purchase price stigma to be paid since it was a rare item, you should insist to have your money returned. Mentioning names is your only lever and if it comes to doing that, you won't have a blacken eye in my opinion.

If you had to pay a high price in order for you to see it wasn't as shown or described, the deal sucks.

Mike Cooley

edited : By all means try communicating privately 1st.
9146FAN
I would give the seller the benifit of the doubt. Contact the seller, tell them your thoughts and see what happens.

I hope my insight helps.

Good Luck,

Eddie

JRust
agree.gif Delete this thread. Talk to the guy & see what happens. Could be a simple mistake he will rectify. Give the guy a chance before you blast him. I'm sure he'll make good with you. If he won't work with you & turns out to be a prick then feel free to state your case here. I'm sure it will work out though just give it a little time. It is easy for a Newbie or someone not that experienced to not see problems that others might.
Engman
Contact the seller, first. If you come to an unsatifactory solution, then post away. I have had 2 incidents over the past two years - one the us mail lost and I sent another after finding out and the other was a complaint on a minor issue to which I offered, refund +shipping or a replacement after the part was returned to me with me paying the shipping.

I hope this turns out well, the members here are decent people.

M
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Sep 11 2007, 07:37 PM) *

Clayton

Word!
computers4kids
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 11 2007, 07:31 PM) *

Pat

Pat,
This is not the way you should go about it...brother or no brother. Contact the seller and give them a chance to make it right. Airing it this way only leads to hard feelings...now go out and kick the dog....delete this thread's content and contact that seller.
Mark
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(hwgunner @ Sep 11 2007, 09:46 PM) *

Pat, i know I have sold a thing or two to you, or atleast theguy i sold it to was as crotchety as you, and if it was a part that i sold you then I would give you a full refund no questions asked. Depending on the part I may not even ask for it back if it really is in that bad of shape. beerchug.gif

And that is exactly why I respect you!

Thankfully, you are not involved.
Pat
grantsfo
I'd make vague accusations and refreneces so many people on the board draw conclusions about the rat who sold the fradulent part. Then I'd hold a poll.

Thing that makes me laugh is that you'll get countless posts on how to use common sense.

orthobiz
I go through selling sprees on eBay. I'm a Macintosh computer nut at home and office and bought 5 wireless mice when they first came out. Decided I didn't like them, can't remember to turn them off and the batteries run down, etc. Decided I would sell the wireless mice...

I also have wired mice as backups. The boxes are nearly identical.

So...I SELL a wireless mouse on eBay only to find out that I actually SENT a wired mouse. Of course, the buyer contacted me and I sent the correct mouse out immediately, no questions asked, refunded his money. He paid me a second time when the correct mouse arrived and also sent me back the wired mouse.

A long story that basically says sometimes a seller unintentionally makes a mistake! He may have hi res photos of the correct item and actually accidentally sent the wrong item.

I'm just glad this is not another "AA horror story!" Um, if it was an honest mistake, we'll hold a poll and see if you can still be a virgin (just don't wear your headlight on your wedding nite!)

Paul
Pat Garvey

Clayton

Why?

I purchased something that was "apparently" misrepresented. Shouldn't others be made aware of the "buyer beware" principal? I've contacted the seller & am awaiting response, but I see no reason to not seek information from the masses about such incidents.

I've not stated any name, nor will I do so. I was simply asking for guidance. Got that.

This was a part I've been trying to find for YEARS! Everything that came along had problems. Until this one. It had hi-res pics of a product that was near perfect, but not delivered as represented!

Not "talk about it on the board"? This is a FORUM - not a "board". The rest of the non-members of this forum need to be aware of such things.

Am I pissed about this - better believe it! Will I get recompense - we'll see.

But it has left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Anyone is free to PM me about this, so we can let it die here - for now.
Pat

Aaron Cox
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Sep 12 2007, 08:41 PM) *

I'd make vague accusations and refreneces so many people on the board draw conclusions about the rat who sold the fradulent part. Then I'd hold a poll.

Thing that makes me laugh is that you'll get countless posts on how to use common sense.

ok... that there is funny. w00t.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 12 2007, 08:51 PM) *

Clayton

Why?

I purchased something that was "apparently" misrepresented. Shouldn't others be made aware of the "buyer beware" principal? I've contacted the seller & am awaiting response, but I see no reason to not seek information from the masses about such incidents.

I've not stated any name, nor will I do so. I was simply asking for guidance. Got that.

This was a part I've been trying to find for YEARS! Everything that came along had problems. Until this one. It had hi-res pics of a product that was near perfect, but not delivered as represented!

Not "talk about it on the board"? This is a FORUM - not a "board". The rest of the non-members of this forum need to be aware of such things.

Am I pissed about this - better believe it! Will I get recompense - we'll see.

But it has left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Anyone is free to PM me about this, so we can let it die here - for now.
Pat

why get mad if you havent given the guy a chance to respond?
What if it was an honest mistake and the seller makes it right?

you havent been bent over yet..... and maybe you wont be.... so relax and go about contacting the seller in a CALM and CIVIL manner. If you get hosed... then get pissed smile.gif

No faith in Humanity? No faith in morality?
brant
bump....

hey thats funny too
Aaron, I'm going to miss seeing you this year sir!
McMark
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Sep 12 2007, 08:28 PM) *
why get mad if you havent given the guy a chance to respond?

You're pissed about something that hasn't even happened yet. Cool off, and ask the seller what's up. This is the definition of jumping to conclusions. You can do all the deductive reasoning in the world, but you can not know anything until you have a conversation with the seller. Have a little faith, and remember, almost everything looks good in a digital photo.
MoveQik
I think you are dead on. You should call this person out. You should post their name right now for all to see. Explain how they cheated you. Warn people to never buy from them again! This is an outrage.

Or.......

Call them and work it out like adults. My bet is they have no fuchin' idea(prior to this thread) that you feel cheated.
G e o r g e
All of this because of a rain tray???

wait for a response smash.gif
PeeGreen 914
No matter what it is... he is just using this to vent and ask us what he should do. It's not like he just went out and said that "Blood red sold me a .... and he is a total a$$ for doing so." He said he is working things out. When he is done he will either tell us everything went well, or he will say who it was and what it was with the notation that they are a dirty bum biggrin.gif .
MoveQik
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Sep 13 2007, 12:14 AM) *

No matter what it is... he is just using this to vent and ask us what he should do. It's not like he just went out and said that "Blood red sold me a .... and he is a total a$$ for doing so." He said he is working things out. When he is done he will either tell us everything went well, or he will say who it was and what it was with the notation that they are a dirty bum biggrin.gif .

So it was you!!! Figgers! Damn Realtors can't be trusted. hide.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Sep 13 2007, 12:18 AM) *

QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Sep 13 2007, 12:14 AM) *

So it was you!!! Figgers! Damn Realtors can't be trusted. hide.gif

lol... No.. it wasn't me. I was just using myself as an example. Besides, I just give most of my spare stuff away. And yes, I know many realtors shouldn't be trusted, but I can be as I cannot afford to not be. Honest agents get refferals biggrin.gif I am interested in what he bought though.
rhodyguy
i think the cc holy grail of early raintrays.

k
Cap'n Krusty
A clear cut case for the personal ownership of tactical nuclear weapons, and the right to use them at even the slightest provocation, real or imagined .............

The Cap'n
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 13 2007, 09:57 AM) *

k

Really? Noooooo.... dry.gif Just for an early raintray? I hope not.
nomore9one4
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Sep 13 2007, 09:12 AM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 13 2007, 09:57 AM) *

k

Really? Noooooo.... dry.gif Just for an early raintray? I hope not.

Maybe it was one that never got wet! confused24.gif
SLITS
My vote is to move this thread to the Concours Weenie forum where it belongs.

"It was another case of blind justice" - Alices' Restaurant

Oh, I just banned myself .... so save your 1s and 0s for another time.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 13 2007, 02:44 PM) *

My vote is to move this thread to the Concours Weenie forum where it belongs.

Ah, no.
smoke.gif
Pat Garvey
HOLD IT HOLD IT HOLD IT!!!!!!!

Jeez, I was only fielding opinions! And I got the good ones that I needed.

The issue is settled, because the seller is a stand-up 914 guy. We're good!

I never, ever wanted any info as to the part or seller to hit this forum. Why? Because he's a member, and a good one.

Look, as I stated in the topic, I lost my virginity here. But we kissed & made up!
It'll happen again, probably. Just won't hurt as much (know 'm sayin?).

Issue closed!

Pat

ps: thanks to those who gave me correct direction & helped me cool down. Thought I had something I've been searching for for years. Have to start over now.
ConeDodger
Pat,
It isn't that you shouldn't be pissed. If that is your nature than rage away... I think people are just saying to keep it under the radar until every effort has been made to work out the problem out of the public eye.

We all know that you have been looking for a virgin rain tray for years. So we all know who stepped up and said he has one. For that reason, you have called him out publically and probably hurt his reputation.

I can think of any number of reasons why it might not be what you expected. For one thing, perfect is in language terms an absolute. But in reality it is used in relative terms. He might think perfect or virgin is one thing, while you think of it as something entirely different. He might have had two of them and sent you the wrong box. It might have been damaged by transport.

He might have refunded your money because you weren't satisfied....

If it were me who was named but not named, I would at this point be disinclined to refund your money. You have hurt his reputation and he might not deserve it. Maybe he does but he deserved a chance to make it right before being called out.

I have tried to give you a more thoughtful answer than my previous response to Clayton's post... Please take a breath and consider it... smile.gif
SLITS
I to am sorry ..... I thought this place had a sense of humor, but alas , I see that is not so.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 13 2007, 06:59 PM) *

Pat,
It isn't that you shouldn't be pissed. If that is your nature than rage away... I think people are just saying to keep it under the radar until every effort has been made to work out the problem out of the public eye.

We all know that you have been looking for a virgin rain tray for years. So we all know who stepped up and said he has one. For that reason, you have called him out publically and probably hurt his reputation.

I can think of any number of reasons why it might not be what you expected. For one thing, perfect is in language terms an absolute. But in reality it is used in relative terms. He might think perfect or virgin is one thing, while you think of it as something entirely different. He might have had two of them and sent you the wrong box. It might have been damaged by transport.

If it were me who was named but not named, I would at this point be disinclined to refund your money. You have hurt his reputation and he might not deserve it. Maybe he does but he deserved a chance to make it right before being called out.

I have tried to give you a more thoughtful answer than my previous response to Clayton's post... Please take a breath and consider it... smile.gif

OK, I've considered it. Only reason I had to take a breath was because of the inferences that have been made throughout this thread.

Who said anything about a rain tray? Not me!

I named no part, nor any individual - on purpose. This issue was unsettled (and unsettling to me). I made absolutely NO mention of the part. I made absolutley NO mention of the seller!

Those of you who took it upon yourselves to try to figure this put.....are 100% WRONG!

The issue is settled!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 13 2007, 06:21 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 13 2007, 06:59 PM) *

Pat,

OK, I've considered it. Only reason I had to take a breath was because of the inferences that have been made throughout this thread.

Who said anything about a rain tray? Not me!

I named no part, nor any individual - on purpose. This issue was unsettled (and unsettling to me). I made absolutely NO mention of the part. I made absolutley NO mention of the seller!

Those of you who took it upon yourselves to try to figure this put.....are 100% WRONG!

The issue is settled!

Ok good. And we are all glad I am sure. The point that you are missing though is that you should not have brought it here. Wrong on the guessing or not, the reputation of someone has been hurt because you did...

Point is and please this is the important part, try to settle it before you bring it up on the forum... OK???
TJB/914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 13 2007, 04:46 PM) *

I never, ever wanted any info as to the part or seller to hit this forum. Why? Because he's a member, and a good one.

Look, as I stated in the topic, I lost my virginity here. But we kissed & made up!

Issue closed!

Pat

ps: thanks to those who gave me correct direction & helped me cool down. Thought I had something I've been searching for for years. Have to start over now.

Hi Pat,

For a minute there I thought it was me who gave you a free hub cap puller.

Your buddy. bye1.gif

Tom
SirAndy
QUOTE(JB 914 @ Sep 11 2007, 07:59 PM) *

Cowboy up and talk to the seller man to man.

knowing Pat, i'd say you probably meant "Cowgirl down" ... biggrin.gif
Allan
I vote to start a poll to see who thinks this was a knee jerk crappy post.

I vote yes... stirthepot.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Sep 13 2007, 01:14 AM) *

Thank YOU for being constructive.

It's worked out - everything went well - nuff said, but thanks anyway!

Christ! Talking about opening Pandoras Box. Wheew, never again! Nunca Mas!!!!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Sep 13 2007, 07:42 PM) *

Issue closed!

Pat

Hi Pat,

Your buddy. bye1.gif

Tom

Tom, OK it WAS you! That hubcap puller has a nick in the right edge! You ......
Oh, forget it. There's no way I can turn this into joke - particularly with you.
Pat

BTW, how were the cherries "up North" this year?
TJB/914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 13 2007, 07:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Sep 13 2007, 07:42 PM) *

Issue closed!

Pat

Hi Pat,

Your buddy. bye1.gif

Tom

Tom, OK it WAS you! That hubcap puller has a nick in the right edge! You ......
Oh, forget it. There's no way I can turn this into joke - particularly with you.
Pat

BTW, how were the cherries "up North" this year?

Hi Pat,

Cherries up North wub.gif For those that don't know what were talking about (Eric probably does) No it's not about women. Northern MI around the Traverse city to Petoskey area is the cherry capital of the midwest or maybe along with Washington State. There are road side stands selling Fresh Washed Sweet Cherry's by the locals. On my drive up-north to our summer cottage each week during July, I buy a couple of bags of these delicacies and OD till my tummy is full. I open the moon roof up and spit the cherry seeds out the top with all my might to clear the cars rear end. Cherry juice on a light color cars is not good. At the end of my trip to P-town I look in the mirror and smile with a purple mouth from O-Ding on those juicy berrys. My wife is getting used to my bad habits. Such is life in MI. It's a local MI thing.

I havn't tried it yet with the Yellow 914. rolleyes.gif

Tom
Twystd1
Hi Pat,
Just got back into town.
Let me clear up my comment for you.

YOU ASKED: (and I quote)

Pat

I simply stated what I would do.
I never mentioned what you should do. Nor did I even allude to what you should do.

I just told ya what I would do in this situation. That make sense?

And did you get anything worked out with the seller?

Clayton
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Sep 15 2007, 04:58 PM) *

Hi Pat,
Just got back into town.
Let me clear up my comment for you.

YOU ASKED: (and I quote)

Pat

I simply stated what I would do.
I never mentioned what you should do. Nor did I even allude to what you should do.

I just told ya what I would do in this situation. That make sense?

And did you get anything worked out with the seller?

Clayton

I got a lot of responsesthat helped me get over the loss of my virginity! Your & others were a great help. Hard to believe that, after 35 years of scrounging & snapping, this was the first time with negatives.

So, I took the advice of you & others, contacted the seller (who has always been stand-up with me) & we have agreed to negate the transaction.

Pure and simple - the issue is closed! I thank MOST of you for guidance.

Bliz - I want some cherries!

Pat
ps - issue over, no further posts necessary. Thanks all!
Project 6
Most people wait until they are told to "hose off" before bitching.

Personally it's easy, ask the seller to make good, then rake him/her over the coals if there is no resolution.

NEVER ask the list. You'll get answers you WON'T like. Always remember the adage, better to be considered dim, than to post and remove all doubt.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bass Fisher @ Sep 15 2007, 09:26 PM) *

Most people wait until they are told to "hose off" before bitching.

Personally it's easy, ask the seller to make good, then rake him/her over the coals if there is no resolution.

NEVER ask the list. You'll get answers you WON'T like. Always remember the adage, better to be considered dim, than to post and remove all doubt.

Not certain if I fully understand the purpose of this post, but no matter the issues is solved.

BTW, who bitched? I asked a question. And...got SOME decent responses.

Let it die.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.