Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Virginity Lost? Bought a part that is bogus, Need some insight on how to proceed
Pat Garvey
post Sep 11 2007, 08:31 PM
Post #1

Do I or don't I...........?

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

I must be some kind of freak, because I've never bought a part from someone that didn't turn out to be righteous! Until now.

I've picked up things from just about everywhere through the years (no, not diseases! - parts), and never, ever been stung. Now, I think I have been & don't know how to deal with it.

This wasn't a Craigslist or Ebay item. It came from a World member. No names will be used. No inference to the part will be used. But it did come from a regular World contributor. In all fairness, and because I know that some people will jump on the Dr914 bandwagon - it was not from George.

I don't want to give too much away here, because I've not contacted the seller yet. I've been too pissed off to try to work it out with a clear head.

Suffice it to say, the part I was looking for is rare and nearly unobtainium. The seller contacted me after a wanted ad on my part, sent me copious hi-res photos, we struck a deal, I paid, he sent.

What I recieved WAS the correct part, but, unless the pics were fooled with, is NOT the part represented. It is, in fact, useless(& I mean that) and full of man-made defects. It cannot be repaired. It cannot be used, because it will break on installation. It is a piece of junk! Not a cheap piece of junk.

If this had been purchased from eBay I'd just take my loss for not asking enough questions. But, this purchase came from the "brotherhood".

So, I'm wondering how some of you would handle this?
Pat
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Sep 11 2007, 08:34 PM
Post #2

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

let him know it wasn't what you were expecting. if it's a standup seller he'll make it right (hopefully).

k
+Quote Post
Twystd1
post Sep 11 2007, 08:37 PM
Post #3

You don't want to know... really.....

Member No.: 2,743

I would not talk about it on the board at all, until i had exhausted all avenues of recompense with the seller.

Clayton
+Quote Post
TedK
post Sep 11 2007, 08:41 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,961

Yes yes, contact seller first. Do not be aggressive or accusatory, make it a dialogue and see where it takes you. If it goes south from there come back and ask for suggestions, names of hit-men, etc.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Sep 11 2007, 08:43 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Sep 11 2007, 08:37 PM) *

I would not talk about it on the board at all, until i had exhausted all avenues of recompense with the seller.

Clayton

I brought it up here first because I'm too pissed to duscuss it immediately with the seller. Looking for insight, because I have never had this problem before!

Maybe I should have just cooled down first, but thought I just might get some insight. Guess not.
+Quote Post
hwgunner
post Sep 11 2007, 09:46 PM
Post #6

914 Parts @ Discount Prices 800.321.5432

Member No.: 3,095
Region Association: None

Pat, i know I have sold a thing or two to you, or atleast theguy i sold it to was as crotchety as you, and if it was a part that i sold you then I would give you a full refund no questions asked. Depending on the part I may not even ask for it back if it really is in that bad of shape. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
914-8
post Sep 11 2007, 09:46 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 5,461

terms like "great condition" "mint" and "excellent" mean different things to different people.

simply send the seller an e-mail saying that the part is not in the condition you expected, and if he wouldn't mind taking it back and issuing a refund.

the first step is as simple as that.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Sep 11 2007, 09:48 PM
Post #8

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

If it were me...

I'd delete the content of the first post, and ask a mod to make this thread go away. Then I'd got have a beer, and relax for a bit. Tomorrow, I'd contact the seller, and see if an agreement can't be made. Give him a chance to explain, and I bet a reasonable end can be had of the situation.

Zach
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Sep 11 2007, 09:55 PM
Post #9

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
JB 914
post Sep 11 2007, 09:59 PM
Post #10

Daddy! Finish my car NOW!!!

Member No.: 2,831

QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Sep 11 2007, 07:37 PM) *

Clayton

Yep (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Cowboy up and talk to the seller man to man. If the tables were turned, wouldn't you expect the same from him/us?
+Quote Post
cooltimes
post Sep 11 2007, 10:14 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,081

If the part you purchased was partially based on written or verbal description that said it was what you wanted, along with those photos mentioned and had a higher purchase price stigma to be paid since it was a rare item, you should insist to have your money returned. Mentioning names is your only lever and if it comes to doing that, you won't have a blacken eye in my opinion.

If you had to pay a high price in order for you to see it wasn't as shown or described, the deal sucks.

Mike Cooley

edited : By all means try communicating privately 1st.
+Quote Post
9146FAN
post Sep 11 2007, 10:16 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 2,378

I would give the seller the benifit of the doubt. Contact the seller, tell them your thoughts and see what happens.

I hope my insight helps.

Good Luck,

Eddie

+Quote Post
JRust
post Sep 11 2007, 10:20 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Delete this thread. Talk to the guy & see what happens. Could be a simple mistake he will rectify. Give the guy a chance before you blast him. I'm sure he'll make good with you. If he won't work with you & turns out to be a prick then feel free to state your case here. I'm sure it will work out though just give it a little time. It is easy for a Newbie or someone not that experienced to not see problems that others might.
+Quote Post
Engman
post Sep 11 2007, 10:28 PM
Post #14

Zoisite

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 475

Contact the seller, first. If you come to an unsatifactory solution, then post away. I have had 2 incidents over the past two years - one the us mail lost and I sent another after finding out and the other was a complaint on a minor issue to which I offered, refund +shipping or a replacement after the part was returned to me with me paying the shipping.

I hope this turns out well, the members here are decent people.

M
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 11 2007, 10:43 PM
Post #15

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Sep 11 2007, 07:37 PM) *

Clayton

Word!
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Sep 11 2007, 10:45 PM
Post #16

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 11 2007, 07:31 PM) *

So, I'm wondering how some of you would handle this?
Pat

Pat,
This is not the way you should go about it...brother or no brother. Contact the seller and give them a chance to make it right. Airing it this way only leads to hard feelings...now go out and kick the dog....delete this thread's content and contact that seller.
Mark
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Sep 12 2007, 09:20 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(hwgunner @ Sep 11 2007, 09:46 PM) *

Pat, i know I have sold a thing or two to you, or atleast theguy i sold it to was as crotchety as you, and if it was a part that i sold you then I would give you a full refund no questions asked. Depending on the part I may not even ask for it back if it really is in that bad of shape. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

And that is exactly why I respect you!

Thankfully, you are not involved.
Pat
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Sep 12 2007, 09:41 PM
Post #18

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

I'd make vague accusations and refreneces so many people on the board draw conclusions about the rat who sold the fradulent part. Then I'd hold a poll.

Thing that makes me laugh is that you'll get countless posts on how to use common sense.

+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Sep 12 2007, 09:45 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I go through selling sprees on eBay. I'm a Macintosh computer nut at home and office and bought 5 wireless mice when they first came out. Decided I didn't like them, can't remember to turn them off and the batteries run down, etc. Decided I would sell the wireless mice...

I also have wired mice as backups. The boxes are nearly identical.

So...I SELL a wireless mouse on eBay only to find out that I actually SENT a wired mouse. Of course, the buyer contacted me and I sent the correct mouse out immediately, no questions asked, refunded his money. He paid me a second time when the correct mouse arrived and also sent me back the wired mouse.

A long story that basically says sometimes a seller unintentionally makes a mistake! He may have hi res photos of the correct item and actually accidentally sent the wrong item.

I'm just glad this is not another "AA horror story!" Um, if it was an honest mistake, we'll hold a poll and see if you can still be a virgin (just don't wear your headlight on your wedding nite!)

Paul
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Sep 12 2007, 09:51 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Sep 11 2007, 08:37 PM) *

Clayton

Why?

I purchased something that was "apparently" misrepresented. Shouldn't others be made aware of the "buyer beware" principal? I've contacted the seller & am awaiting response, but I see no reason to not seek information from the masses about such incidents.

I've not stated any name, nor will I do so. I was simply asking for guidance. Got that.

This was a part I've been trying to find for YEARS! Everything that came along had problems. Until this one. It had hi-res pics of a product that was near perfect, but not delivered as represented!

Not "talk about it on the board"? This is a FORUM - not a "board". The rest of the non-members of this forum need to be aware of such things.

Am I pissed about this - better believe it! Will I get recompense - we'll see.

But it has left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Anyone is free to PM me about this, so we can let it die here - for now.
Pat

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 08:33 AM