Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lets Talk About Lapping Cylinders
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DuckRyder
So, we leave out the "head gaskets" and lap the cylinders into the head?

1) I assume we are using valve-grinding compound.

2) I am going to insert each cylinder into the head where I am going to install it.

3) I spin said cylinder until I see a nice shiny ring on the head and rim of the cylinder.

Have I got that right?
Brad Roberts
I dont know how shiny it will be... but you have everything else correct.

B
thesey914
Maybe not just spin...but in a back and forward motion rolleyes.gif
Tom Perso
The ring should be a dark color, full coverage around the outside ring of the head register.

Mark them and assemble the works.

Tom
DuckRyder
O.K. Spent the day putting the bottom end together.

That went without any real incident.

SO tomorrow is cylinder lapping day. Pray for me.....................
Jake Raby
Use a piece of thick glass with 400 grit sandpaper to true the mating surfaces of the cylinderbefore you start.

Take Dykem machinist dye and coat the top of each cylinder. work with the 400 with the cylinder flat till the dykem is gone and the cylinder is as close to flat as possible.

Then use clover lapping compound to match each cylinder into the respectful register....... Lap till the thin gray ine is as wide as the cylnder.
CLEAN EVERYTHING SUPER WELL! Then coat the head surface with Permatex Copper coat. This will give a gooey compound and it will help create a carbon seal when the engine fires up. This way the engine seals its self!!

When the heads are torqued up use compressed air in the cylinder and use a match or lighter to look for leaks. They can be seen easily with the flicker of the flame..
kdfoust
Duck: when lapping use a figure-8 motion.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.