Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RoninEclipse2G
hey guys, I'm trying to figure out how to fix my exhaust and keep heat without breaking the bank. I have a 74 2.0 currently with factory everything, and the heat exchangers and or manifold have become damaged/rusted to the point that I can't use the heat for fear of COx poisioning. not to mention I'm getting some annoying popping on downshifting for decelerating

I can have a simple full exhaust made out of stainless with a muffler for about $250, and I can weld up some sheetmetal boxes in place of heat exchangers for next to nothing.

Are there any huge issues with this idea? I was thinking of setting up the heater box similar to the tangerine setups.
type47
if you are going to build your own exhaust system, obviously you'd want to copy the real deal as closely as possible for fitment issues. not interested in buying a set of SS heat exchangers (the easy, but expensive, way out)?
RoninEclipse2G
yeah, thought about the SS exchangers, I was looking at 2-3 times my possible budget just for those, and the stock muffler is shot as well
TROJANMAN
Brant is local and has some SSI for sale. He posted them FS on the local board recently. I'll tell him about this.
RoninEclipse2G
thanks Greg, maybe it might be worth it, i wish I could get on the local board but my interweb acess is limited to work and it's blocked
RoninEclipse2G
bump

I'm not terribly concerned about keeping things stock right now, I just want something that will sound good and get me heat for the time being

any suggestions or concerns I should be aware about guys?
davep
All I can suggest are the SSI. Buy once and be done with it.
They fit, they provide heat, they will last the lifetime of the car.
They will not kill you with exhaust leaks if you do it correctly.
rhodyguy
the $250 you're going to spend on something that might work is half way to REAL heat exchangers. bite the bullet. to spare your life you could remove the flex tubes that run from the he's to the body and cap the body tubes and drive the car. dress warmly.

k
TROJANMAN
I spoke to Brant. He'll hook you up. He has a muffler too.

His email is Brant914 AT hotmail DOT com
GeorgeRud
Kudos to the SSI system. You'll spend much more time and effort than it's worth to try to do better. If they only made them for 914-6s.
TedK
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Sep 12 2007, 05:24 PM) *

Kudos to the SSI system. You'll spend much more time and effort than it's worth to try to do better. If they only made them for 914-6s.

Have you seen these?
914-6 Headers s
Expensive! But nice.
RoninEclipse2G
thanks for the info guys, if I can come up with the money I'll go with the SSI's that brant has, his price is quite fair from what I've seen

now to go search the couch for money *sigh*
rhodyguy
smart move. 2 items you should never have to replace again. you will enjoy the warmth.

k
alpha434
Use whatever header you want and an aircraft grade "Heat muff"

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ep/exh...components.html
jwalters
blink.gif If you DO decide to go the cheap-out way. Do yourself a favour and install a carbon monoxide detector in the cabin area - your life is worth it. Not saying it will happen - but in aviation it is a matter which we all contend with daily. And seeing as how the set-up is very, very close. All it tkaes is one small insignificant leak and you and maybe others are dead..

If this messege worries you then good - it was meant to!
swl
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 13 2007, 12:16 PM) *

smart move. 2 items you should never have to replace again. you will enjoy the warmth.

k

agree.gif Bought mine in 76. The car is rotted away but the heat exchangers are like new and are going on the new car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.