Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine build Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
atmadsen914
I see this topic discussed many times before but I seem to be scratching my head every time so I will just post it one more time.

I am doing an engine build up this winter for my ‘73.

I have a 1.7 core. I have a set of rebuilt 2.0L heads. I am looking for a strong daily driver. As with all of these builds there is a cost vs. benefit issue. I am not going to race the car and I do not need a mega hp motor to brag about to the bar buddies. However I don’t want to leave any power on the table. It looks like the KB pistons and the AA cylinders are the right way to go. But size is leaving scratching my head. I know someone told me “size matters and bigger is better” but I am never quite sure!

So I leave it to you guys. I need advice on Piston and Cylinder combos and a cam.

Thanks in advance and sorry for being the 3489 person to post this question.
Borderline
Assuming your 1.7L crank is still good just go with the 96mm P/C's. That will give you 1911cc and the 2.0 heads will bolt up to the 96mm cyls. At this point you have to decide if you're going to stay with the stock FI or go with carbs. Then you either work with Jake or someone else on which cam. CR, headers etc. piece of cake! biggrin.gif
atmadsen914
QUOTE(Borderline @ Sep 12 2007, 07:01 PM) *

Assuming your 1.7L crank is still good just go with the 96mm P/C's. That will give you 1911cc and the 2.0 heads will bolt up to the 96mm cyls. At this point you have to decide if you're going to stay with the stock FI or go with carbs. Then you either work with Jake or someone else on which cam. CR, headers etc. piece of cake! biggrin.gif

Ok Good advice. I think I am going to go carbs by the way.

Have you run this type of setup?
brant
westminster colorado...
thats great
are you on the local 914 yahoo list

I kinda favor that 1911 option
I know gint had one, that did absolutely great at denver altitude
brant

ConeDodger
QUOTE(atmadsen914 @ Sep 12 2007, 07:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Borderline @ Sep 12 2007, 07:01 PM) *

Ok Good advice. I think I am going to go carbs by the way.

Have you run this type of setup?

I have a 2 liter crank and rods... Hmmm do I see this going to 2 liters??? PM me if your interested.
Jake Raby
Having the 1.7 core imposes no handicaps on your build- the 1.7 case is universally effective to be made into any other engine combo all the way up to 3 liters.

What limits the possibilities are:
Intended budget
Means of induction (barbs, stock EFI, etc)
Retaining heat exchangers or tosssing them for a full header.

The plan you make now is the most important.
atmadsen914
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 12 2007, 08:21 PM) *

westminster colorado...
thats great
are you on the local 914 yahoo list

I kinda favor that 1911 option
I know gint had one, that did absolutely great at denver altitude
brant

I just joined the local list. smile.gif
atmadsen914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 13 2007, 08:08 AM) *

Having the 1.7 core imposes no handicaps on your build- the 1.7 case is universally effective to be made into any other engine combo all the way up to 3 liters.

What limits the possibilities are:
Intended budget
Means of induction (barbs, stock EFI, etc)
Retaining heat exchangers or tosssing them for a full header.

The plan you make now is the most important.

And that is my major concern what is planed now will greatly affect the project’s success.

So if I do go with a 2.0 crank and rods (71mm stroke) and carbs. ( I have a line on a set of 40mm webers. ( I am told at my 5200ft 44mm would be to big)

What bore would be good and what cam?

Is going with the bigger crank a big benefit over the 1.7 (66mm stroke)?

Intended budget is something I am trying to plan out now. Jake I have been checking out you site and love what I see!
Jake Raby
Like I said, the only limitation is how far your wallet opens for the parts.

The most common combos are the 2056 and the 2270, the 2056 being simplest, cheapest. Whatever you desire, we can create a combo (or already have one) for you.
atmadsen914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 13 2007, 09:51 AM) *

Like I said, the only limitation is how far your wallet opens for the parts.

The most common combos are the 2056 and the 2270, the 2056 being simplest, cheapest. Whatever you desire, we can create a combo (or already have one) for you.

Ok I will bite. I like the 2270 power. What kind of price would I be looking at for a 2270 vs 2056. I am guessing this isn't the forum for prcing so feel free to pm me if needed.

FYI I am persuing the 2.0 crank and rod set that was offered above.
Jake Raby
I try to keep commercial type piosts away from these other forums.. Feel free to register on my forums and get as much info as you'd ever want or need about pricing and possibilities...

Thats why I set my forums up.
atmadsen914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 13 2007, 10:18 AM) *

I try to keep commercial type piosts away from these other forums.. Feel free to register on my forums and get as much info as you'd ever want or need about pricing and possibilities...

Thats why I set my forums up.

Ok I joined up.

Does anyone out there have opinions on the 1911 or the 2056? Is is a strong runner how is the power of the stock 1.7 setup?
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(atmadsen914 @ Sep 13 2007, 12:35 PM) *

Ok I joined up.

Does anyone out there have opinions on the 1911 or the 2056? Is is a strong runner how is the power of the stock 1.7 setup?

Optimally done, ~125 HP at the crank seems to be the goal. Expect somewhere between 110 and 125. Not a lot compared to todays standards, but our cars are lighter, and geared fairly low.

Stock on a 1.7 is ~70HP I think.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.