Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turbo Tie Rod Install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
Thanks to Karl and company, I got enough gumption to go out and try to remove the rack one more time. The universal under the dash was totally disassembled but still binding. Once that was behind me the rack hit the floor.

Time for the Turbo Tie Rods and a sprucing up. Here's some photos of the day:

I started by pulling the spring retainers off.
Eric_Shea
The next setp was to remove the old tie rods from the rack. This is easily accomplished by turning the old rod up at a 90 deg. angle and using it as a lever to "crank" it off.
Eric_Shea
I sealed off the ends and the steering gear input and took the assembly to my glass bead cabinet for some cleaning... end result.
Eric_Shea
Then it was time to install the turbo tie rods. I actually had the proper sized wrench in a thin format so I was lucky here... best method is:

1. Take the ball joint end off.
2. Install the spacer on the tie rod and tighten to the rack.
3. Slip the rubber boot over the assembly. Make sure the small end fits in the groove on the rubber grommet that is on the rod.
4. Reinstall the ball joint end.
Eric_Shea
I also relubed the rack using caution when removing the cover so as to keep the gasket in decent order. I reassembled with a gasket compound.

I thought I'd throw in a "style shot" of the entire front suspension. It's all 911 based using the following components:

911 A-Arms
19mm Torsion bars
18mm factory sway bar from a 76 Turbo (one year only)
Koni Struts and inserts with the spindles raised 18mm
S-Calipers
Vented/Drilled Brembos
and of course Turbo Tie Rods.

I'm working on finishing the wheel wells over the holidays so I can bolt it all back on!

smash.gif Onward...

E.
Eric Taylor
very nice, what car is it going into?
Eric
Gint
That looks really nice Eric. Great work!
seanery
very nice stuff eric.
echocanyons
Purdy work!

Nice job Eric
Van914
Eric,
When can you get to mine?
Great job!
smash.gif aktion035.gif

Van914
Eric_Shea
very nice, what car is it going into?

Thanks Eric,

I guess I should explain that... not too many people know what I'm working on.

It's going on a 74 that I'm doing a GT conversion on. My goal is to make it look as much like a factory GT as possible. I'm even digging into the nostalgic parts bin. I'm using period kind of stuff, hence the S-calipers and factory sway bar.

I'm building a 3.0 SC motor for my 911 RS clone with S-cams, JE's, MFI bla, bla, bla. The 2.2 is coming out and I'm going to throw some 90mm nikasils on there, S-cams, rebush the rods (to bump the compression back up) and have a 2.5 short stroker for the GT. Hope the rods don't fall off! (little off topic humor for Rich) laugh.gif

My 914-6 is the canary yellow one in the avatar. That's off to the body shop for a complete paint job. It is all original and will stay that way. "Stitch" redid the door panels and fixed the peeling dash but the rest of the interior was in great original shape.

Those are my three projects...
Eric_Shea
When can you get to mine?

Send it on Van... I even have an extra set of Turbo Tie Rods. That plus $50 an hour is pretty cheap lol3.gif
Eric_Shea
Thanks Gint and all...

Mike, if you look real close you'll see those brand spank'n new ball joints on there! P210 is on it's way back home. Thanks mucho for the tool loan!!!!! beerchug.gif
Eric Taylor
Man Eric you have way to many cool project's!
Eric
Eric_Shea
More like "way too many projects"... it would be nice to drive one instead of working on it. Some day. blink.gif

Thanks...

E.
Gint
Mike, if you look real close you'll see those brand spank'n new ball joints on there! P210 is on it's way back home. Thanks mucho for the tool loan!!!!!

No problemo!
Dunk
Eric - that is sweet...!!! beerchug.gif

Not to push you to the "next stage" - but what are you doing on the rear????
Brad Roberts
Eric,

Thanks for the pics. The club people really respond to the posts with pics. You would be amazed at the number of people that call me for parts and refer to a thread with detailed pics in it to point out what they are looking for.

clap56.gif Good job. It looks great.

B
Eric_Shea
Thanks for the pics. The club people really respond to the posts with pics.

No problemo... it's my way of pushing myself to completion. I like to post them up here to help people like me who come here for knowledge on the stuff. Although a Turbo Tie Rod install has been tackled many times, there might be one more person out there wanting to tackle the task and wondering what might be involved. Glad to help.

Not to push you to the "next stage" - but what are you doing on the rear????

Dunk? Is that you?? No pushing required... BTDT Check out the link! smile.gif

Click Here for the Rear Suspension
Eric_Shea
You would be amazed at the number of people that call me for parts and refer to a thread with detailed pics in it to point out what they are looking for.

You mean like this? lol3.gif
AZ914
Damn... nice work. congrats!
Brad Roberts
I didnt say I sold them anything. laugh.gif

B
Eric_Shea
I'm gonna post that picture once a week and haunt you! w00t.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.