Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I wonder... Would anyone else be interested in a Group Buy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ConeDodger
I was thinking about some carbon fiber lids and wondering if anyone else is... Group buy??? I will try to set it up...
BMXerror
front or rear? How much?
Mark D.
echocanyons
What was the pricing like last time?
I had to pass last time because of no funds, I am potentially interested this time depending on price.

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 13 2007, 07:16 PM) *

I was thinking about some carbon fiber lids and wondering if anyone else is... Group buy??? I will try to set it up...

PeeGreen 914
Depending on the price I may be in. How do these fit? I wouldn;t want one that fits poorly.
ConeDodger
I believe that they mount as the stock ones do. Someone who purchased last time correct me if I am wrong but I think they look as the stock ones do. I do not know the previous price but I don't want to start a negotiation unless others want them too...
McMark
Getty makes the best lids. Great fit and finish. thumb3d.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Sep 13 2007, 08:03 PM) *

front or rear? How much?
Mark D.

Both. Volume gets the best prices. We will have to check that out.
Rand
Getty has a great reputation for quality and fit. LINK

IPB Image

Wish I had the budget to join this group buy, but gotta get some other things done first. A set of front and rear CF lids usually cost almost as much as I paid for my car. Hope you guys get a good deal.
plymouth37
i would definitely be interested. keep me posted.
eric914
Keep me posted as well.
GaroldShaffer
I will jump on this also. Depending on price I would interested in a Front lid.
VaccaRabite
I just got my front and rear hoods painted and stripes put on.

so...

How much?

Zach
pankopp
i am interested! let me know if this proceedes...
Johny Blackstain
Getty webpage pdf file says $699 or $899, each sad.gif .
rekphiv
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Sep 14 2007, 08:21 AM) *

Getty webpage pdf file says $699 or $899, each sad.gif .

I dont know about you guys but that is more then that I paid for my car. For those prices It would be easier to get fiberglass, light weight but doesn't look cool at all. Ive seen fiberglass trunk/hoods in the 250 range. call up getty and see what they would price you at if you ordered 10.

I just love making my 914 look like a wanna be ricer smile.gif
PeeGreen 914
I am interested if the price is right. I could go at it if it is all under 1500. I would rather it be under 1000 though biggrin.gif. I am dreaming of 500.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(rekphiv @ Sep 14 2007, 11:37 AM) *

I just love making my 914 look like a wanna be ricer smile.gif

If I was interested I'd paint to match, regardless. I don't like the carbon fiber look at all. Weight savings & labor $avings on bodywork.
woobn8r
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Sep 14 2007, 04:56 PM) *

I am interested if the price is right. I could go at it if it is all under 1500. I would rather it be under 1000 though biggrin.gif. I am dreaming of 500.

I'd be all over that price like a "fat kid on a smartie"

S.
ConeDodger
If you don't visualize your 914 being around for another say... 30 years than this is not for you.
I think the price last time around which was before the carbon fiber shortage was around $1000 for both.

Here is the tail end view.... Honey does this carbon fiber make my butt look big?
grantsfo
If they made a real cheap version I'd be interested in a front race hood, but I dont think they can get close to $350 from some of the suppliers I use. If they can get close to that price range I'd prefer one of thier lids to the fiberglass crap I typically buy.
PeeGreen 914
The carbon fiber shortage I thought was over. I heard that they are readily supplying it again.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Sep 14 2007, 05:02 PM) *

The carbon fiber shortage I thought was over. I heard that they are readily supplying it again.

It is. That was the point. The prior price was before the shortage. During the shortage they were unobtainium. Now, who knows what the price will be... smile.gif
PeeGreen 914
Oh... well if they are 1000 or less I am in for sure.
JPB
CF parts are always in my budget; I'm in for a front. beer.gif
woobn8r
Is this going anywhere?

I think interest has been shown at the $ 1000 price point for both (like before)...

S.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(woobn8r @ Sep 18 2007, 08:52 AM) *

Is this going anywhere?

I think interest has been shown at the $ 1000 price point for both (like before)...

S.

It is still going... I will be contacting them today to see how many we have to purchase to get the $500 a lid price...

DEC
I am in ......depends on price ......and the possibility for a shipment to Germany
SGB
I would be in at $500 each to get both.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SGB @ Sep 22 2007, 02:35 PM) *

This is the price point I am going to be shooting for as well...

Multiple attempts to reach them at both locations and numbers has thus far been unsuccessful. I will keep trying and post here when I do get a hold of them
woobn8r
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 22 2007, 04:50 PM) *

QUOTE(SGB @ Sep 22 2007, 02:35 PM) *

This is the price point I am going to be shooting for as well...

Multiple attempts to reach them at both locations and numbers has thus far been unsuccessful. I will keep trying and post here when I do get a hold of them

Atta boy, go get'em!

rhodyguy
$500 EACH + SHIPPING for f&r lids huh.gif ? you guys are nuts. wacko.gif
LvSteveH
Nuts? Absolutely

I'm interested in a full set biggrin.gif

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 23 2007, 08:31 AM) *

ConeDodger
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 23 2007, 09:31 AM) *

The price quoted above nuts or not is the previous group buy price as far as I recall. There are new CF sources and the shortage has passed so I suspect we could come close. I don't think it is too crazy. blink.gif
dlo914
SOT: but does Getty make custom hoods for other cars? i.e. 1989 Toyota Corolla GTS. Apparently there's no CF hood for this car! I've looked everywhere for one.
Rand
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Sep 27 2007, 12:40 AM) *

SOT: but does Getty make custom hoods for other cars? i.e. 1989 Toyota Corolla GTS. Apparently there's no CF hood for this car! I've looked everywhere for one.

I think they are all Porsche. But it might be worth contacting them:
gettydesign.com
jwalters
smile.gif I would be very open for this kind of thingy - even tho I would end up painting my lids - if I could get both for a grand or less I would be making out pretty good. Seeing as how by buying the F/G Getty lids for 699 a pop each.....

Save $400 beans -

I am in!

J
McMark
Mmmmm Cabron Fiber:

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
neo914-6
Neil was the contact: sales@gettydesign.com. I think the last group buy was $1200 or $1300 from Getty which was approx 25%. They are hand made and manufacturing costs can't be optimized much. I bought set from Mueller and the quality was outstanding.

From today's SEMA newletter Carbon-Fiber Compulsion High Demand Keeps Suppliers Struggling to Keep Up
ConeDodger
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Sep 27 2007, 12:16 PM) *

Neil was the contact: sales@gettydesign.com. I think the last group buy was $1200 or $1300 from Getty which was approx 25%. They are hand made and manufacturing costs can't be optimized much. I bought set from Mueller and the quality was outstanding.

From today's SEMA newletter Carbon-Fiber Compulsion High Demand Keeps Suppliers Struggling to Keep Up

Felix has amazing recall... Neil is still the contact and we have exchanged a couple emails. He may get back to me with a price as soon as tomorrow.
fiid
Is it possible to mix carbon fiber and fiberglass in the same group buy?

rhodyguy
boeing's dreamliner is a carbon fiber fusselage. they're behind schedule. i bet the big b is goobling up all all the CF they can with purchase orders well into the future.

k
ConeDodger
QUOTE(fiid @ Sep 27 2007, 03:36 PM) *

Is it possible to mix carbon fiber and fiberglass in the same group buy?

Maybe... Good negotiating point anyway. I will run that by them...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 27 2007, 04:51 PM) *

boeing's dreamliner is a carbon fiber fusselage. they're behind schedule. i bet the big b is goobling up all all the CF they can with purchase orders well into the future.

k

I am sure they are. Getty doesn't seem at all concerned about supply. I hear a whole new plant or two has been built for CF fabric production since the start of the Iraq war.
Pnambic
If I can get my house sold, I'd also be interested. My rear lid has some light rust/damage anyway. But I've been forbidden to spend money on "that car" until we've sold the house... sad.gif

ConeDodger
Well the price has been established... I still have not heard back if we can get a similar discount on fiberglass but I will update everyone at that time...

The price is $650 per lid plus shipping that ranges as high as $175 depending on zip code. Only 5 units are required for this pricing which kind of shocked me.

Their current price is $899 per lid so this represents a significant price reduction.

Lets get a list started of people who are truely in for this... PM me if you are.

By the way, Getty wants feedback from the previous group buy people. If these things need some changes he wants to know so he can put the changes in place before our production.
plymouth37
Put me down for a rear. If you can get them to make a cf front lid without headlight holes I would totally buy one of them too.
PeeGreen 914
500+shipping would have been fine, but I will have to see about 650.
neo914-6
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 28 2007, 12:54 PM) *

By the way, Getty wants feedback from the previous group buy people. If these things need some changes he wants to know so he can put the changes in place before our production.

The shine will eventually dull and they are not UV resistant. Many owners with CF religiously cover or garage their cars. If you can, have Getty clear coat them with UV clear.

If you prefer gas springs use the lighter pressure type from CAMP914. AFAIK, you cannot use the stock springs. Make sure you drill accurately if you are pinning them.

I'd like the underside weave finished and if they ever make a headlight delete front lid, I'd buy one...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Sep 28 2007, 10:13 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 28 2007, 12:54 PM) *

The shine will eventually dull and they are not UV resistant. Many owners with CF religiously cover or garage their cars. If you can, have Getty clear coat them with UV clear.

If you prefer gas springs use the lighter pressure type from CAMP914. AFAIK, you cannot use the stock springs. Make sure you drill accurately if you are pinning them.

I'd like the underside weave finished and if they ever make a headlight delete front lid, I'd buy one...

Thanks Felix,
I will pass that on. What is the weight difference stock to CF lid?
McMark
The weight difference is somewhere in the 'holy crap' range. I laughed out loud the first time I pulled a stock lid and then picked up the CF to bolt on. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.