Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Relay Boards
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shelby/914
Just wondering? I think I may need one. Getting toooo much current out of the alternator, but it has been checked out by 2 shops and they say it is good. Have put on several voltage regulatrs with no change, so it may be in the board. Help
Gint
Danny,

Joe D. was re-potting the nottoms of relay boards a couple of years ago. He might have some extras laying around. I can give you his number.
SGB
Craig Laughlin- Camp 914- may do that....(just speculating)
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(shelby/914 @ Sep 14 2007, 12:08 AM) *

Just wondering? I think I may need one. Getting toooo much current out of the alternator, but it has been checked out by 2 shops and they say it is good. Have put on several voltage regulatrs with no change, so it may be in the board. Help

maybe the wiring is out of sequence. If the voltage regulator has been replaced and the alternator is still overcharging it is not the relay board!
shelby/914
Exactly what does "wiring out of sequence mean?????????" I'm confused OBVIOUSLY
jd74914
I think he means maybe the alternator is wired incorrectly.
BMartin914
Who wired the alternator to the harness Danny? I don't remember how the harness connects...is it individual wires on poles, or a connector.

I think "The Dr" means that one or more of thoise wires may be in the wrong place. You've only got a few - B+, Field, Ground and + right?

Maybe that's the next thing to look at if you are not positive it's wired correctly - but it was doing this before you had it out too, so???
ConeDodger
QUOTE(BMartin914 @ Sep 14 2007, 09:24 AM) *

Who wired the alternator to the harness Danny? I don't remember how the harness connects...is it individual wires on poles, or a connector.

I think "The Dr" means that one or more of thoise wires may be in the wrong place. You've only got a few - B+, Field, Ground and + right?

Maybe that's the next thing to look at if you are not positive it's wired correctly - but it was doing this before you had it out too, so???

That is exactly what he means. Look at the positions of the wires in the three pronged connector. A couple of them may be switched around to the wrong spots. I have the same problem.
BMartin914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 14 2007, 08:34 AM) *

QUOTE(BMartin914 @ Sep 14 2007, 09:24 AM) *

That is exactly what he means. Look at the positions of the wires in the three pronged connector. A couple of them may be switched around to the wrong spots. I have the same problem.

That's easy. Wouldn't that be nice if that was the issue.
shelby/914
I"ll have to check out in the barn, but I think there is a spare alternator. I want to check the 3 prong plug but I thought that it would only go on one way, without force. You, Kevin and I installed everything on the long block before we installed it last year. and everything was fine as I recall but I'm old and my memory is failing. Yes it was overcharging, which is why I took the alt out to test it everyone said it was fin so put it back in and it still overcharges. We'll find it.
GeorgeRud
If you want to check out the relay board, just unplug the voltage regulator from it's position on the relay board, and plug it into the engine cable with the three pronged plug. I'd also recommend grounding the regulator through a mounting screw hole.

The relay board does nothing other than connect the three connections from the three prong engine harness to the relay.
swl
out of my league here but isn't the gererator light on the dash also associated with the voltage regulation? I'm sure I've read that if it is burned out bad things happen - just don't know what those 'bad things' are.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.