Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PHUCKIN BRAKES!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TINCAN914
I'm getting so frustrated, I'm ready to pull out the 12 ga and go to town on this friggin car

I replaced the pedel assembly today, two hours because one of the mounting bolts on the pedal base was shorter then the other by way to much. Cable are all hooed up, it fires right up and shifts fine.

Here is my problem.
All the hoses are hooed up I pou in the brake fluid and it comes right back out. I checked the brakes lines, all hooked up, feed lines coming into the M/C are fine. It appears to be coming from the front of the M/C, where the piston rod goes in.

Is this common, do I need to open all the lines up at the wheels?

SirAndy
so the fluid leaks inside the car near the pedal cluster? idea.gif or underneath at the MC?
TINCAN914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 15 2007, 04:39 PM) *

so the fluid leaks inside the car near the pedal cluster? idea.gif or underneath at the MC?

It runs from the top of the M/C (so it appears), the strange thing is when I pull the m/c back to try to determin where it's coming from, it all flows out.

Let me ask this. If all the lines are in and tight, I should be able to pour fluid in without pumping the breaks, and it shouldn't come pouring out correct?I know I still have to bleed the lines, in order for the brakes to work, but the fluid shouldn't be running right on to the floor..
Twystd1
QUOTE(TINCAN914 @ Sep 15 2007, 03:58 PM) *

It runs from the top of the M/C (so it appears), the strange thing is when I pull the m/c back to try to determin where it's coming from, it all flows out.

Let me ask this. If all the lines are in and tight, I should be able to pour fluid in without pumping the breaks, and it shouldn't come pouring out correct?I know I still have to bleed the lines, in order for the brakes to work, but the fluid shouldn't be running right on to the floor..

Brian,

Call me I will line you out.
PM on it's way.
Clayton
Hammy
QUOTE(TINCAN914 @ Sep 15 2007, 03:58 PM) *

Correct.... I would initially think your reservoir to MC lines are busted or not seated properly. But you say they're fine.
SirAndy
lines are not seated properly on the MC ...

bye1.gif Andy
davep
I'd have to guess, based on your description, that the lines from the reservoir are not seated in the M/C. There are supposed to be washers under the rubber boots that fit into the M/C. The metal lines are supposed to go all the way through the boots and sit on the washers. If the boots are cracked, they must be replaced. Sure the lines can be real devils to install, but it must be done correctly.

The bolts that fasten the pedal cluster to the floor are supposed to be welded in place. If one is too short then someone has been trying to replace them and messed up.
Eric_Shea
agree.gif

This is one of the most difficult jobs on a 914. Your M/C grommets are not fully seated (from the sound of things.) They go in T-I-G-H-T. Tomorrow you will find neck muscles you didn't know you had.

Make sure the washers are in and the grommets are fully seated.

Man... I didn't look at the bolts, sorry. I have another here if you want it.
GeorgeRud
I'm sure that the MC was assembled on a bench with the feed lines pressed in before the assembly was installed on the chassis. There is no way that this step would have been tried on an assembly line because, like the rest of you, I had the toughest time getting those @X@#%^#$ hoses to seat properly. Once they pop in correctly, you won't have anymore leaks.
TINCAN914

Sorry Eric, I sounded llike a dickhead, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
I got it taken care of, thank you once again..

After going through it a few times, not kinks in the lines, they are clean (not wet)
From what I can see brake fluid flows from the m/c where it mounts to the car, so it looks like the m/c is shot.. Just in time for Moab... M.F!!!

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 15 2007, 07:53 PM) *

agree.gif

This is one of the most difficult jobs on a 914. Your M/C grommets are not fully seated (from the sound of things.) They go in T-I-G-H-T. Tomorrow you will find neck muscles you didn't know you had.

Make sure the washers are in and the grommets are fully seated.

Man... I didn't look at the bolts, sorry. I have another here if you want it.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.