Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Factory colors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Plaindaner
I'm getting ready to drop in a 2.0 twin turbo so it's a good time to repaint and I want the color to reflect speeed baby! The original color was orange, but the PO painted it silver. Does anyone have the pic of the factory color chart? I've seen it before, but damned if I can find it when I need it. Also, I am welcoming color recommendations. I am thinking about painting the sails and Mahles to match. I know a lot of you will say go original, but I don't care for orange that much. Yellow is faster brigade, I hear you, but I am leaning towards a sky blue. Give me some input dudes, including pics of your car's color. This is a one time deal and I want to make a choice that I am both happy with and will not detract from the resale value. Talk to me!
So.Cal.914
Saturn/chrome yellow is fastest...
Plaindaner
confused24.gif
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 16 2007, 10:36 AM) *

Yellow for first response, man am I surprised! Gotta pic SoCal?
toon1
At the top of the page, under 914 info, you will find the color charts( small sqaures of color). Also at the top of the page under the stickies, look at the htread jof the memebers cars, plenty of colors there.

My .02, Sky blue/olympic blue( the stock color)does'nt scream, fast, red would.

IF the car is that fast, paint it 5 different colors, make it a sleeper and wup up on the ricers...LOL
Rusty
Nope... nobody has color charts. biggrin.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=colors

http://members.rennlist.com/chuxter/914Colors.htm

Anything that you choose to paint it other than the original color will most likely detract from resale value, especially from someone who values original cars. The more changes on the car, the more you potentially reduce the pool of buyers who will want your car later. IMO, paint it what you like - but don't expect a 914 to be an "investment" for resale in a couple of years.

A true color change (floors, wheel wells, trunks, etc) can be quite expensive... or if you have the skills, very time-consuming. There are several very good threads here about full repaints done in the garage.
Rusty
P.S. Seven years ago, I did a color change on my 914-6. I researched colors for months. While I love the color, I now regret that decision every time I walk into the garage.
So.Cal.914
Thought this one was 'Closed' too.

I havn't been home in months dry.gif , not one pic do I have access to. Sorry. sad.gif
Plaindaner
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 16 2007, 01:04 PM) *

Thought this one was 'Closed' too.

I havn't been home in months dry.gif , not one pic do I have access to. Sorry. sad.gif

Bummer, I feel for you. Listening to ya'll, maybe I'll keep it silver. It was an inside/outside paint job. This is the 3rd teener in my life. The first one was a '72 willow green w/ tan interior that I bought in 1974 at age 19. Young & dumb & let it get away. I'm (much) older & wiser now and have no plans for letting this one go. Rust is minimal... yet still present. I'm gonna keep her. All stock so far, except for the Blaupunkt & speaker system I just installed. I live in a 914 wasteland in NW Ark. and was lucky to find this '74 2.0 within 60 miles last March. As far as we know, there are just three of us teener owners in the region. I am totally stoked to find a mechanic that just latched on to a 2.0 type 4 twin turbo w/ dual Holly predators... what a find! He was gonna put it in a trike, but he's agreed to let it come home to a place where it belongs... but I digress. Good hearing from you guys, thanks.
Rand
QUOTE(Plaindaner @ Sep 16 2007, 08:45 AM) *

confused24.gif
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 16 2007, 10:36 AM) *

Tom's V8 is a perfect example of chrome yellow...

IPB Image
Plaindaner
Tom's V8 yellow is fast lookin indeed. Maybe the yellow brigade is onto something.
lotus_65
i only saw signal orange for the 1st time a couple days ago, and there is no better color. the pics just don't do it justice.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=75381

what about that engine of yours? whatchya got put together?
levonfarra
http://homepage.mac.com/markd/914/colors.html
Plaindaner
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Sep 16 2007, 06:22 PM) *

i only saw signal orange for the 1st time a couple days ago, and there is no better color. the pics just don't do it justice.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=75381

what about that engine of yours? whatchya got put together?

Can't tell ya yet, waitin' to see it. I just discovered it's existance 2 days ago. Waiting for my mechanic buddy (specializes in 30's-40's hot rods) to bring it home from down south. He's buying out a shop that went down and that engine is part of the package. I'll fill ya in when I lay my sweaty, trembling hands upon it.
lotus_65
oooooooooh, titillating!
Plaindaner
w00t.gif
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Sep 16 2007, 08:08 PM) *

oooooooooh, titillating!

mmmmph!! He said tit! hehehe

porschecb
QUOTE(Plaindaner @ Sep 16 2007, 07:21 AM) *

I'm getting ready to drop in a 2.0 twin turbo so it's a good time to repaint and I want the color to reflect speeed baby! The original color was orange, but the PO painted it silver. Does anyone have the pic of the factory color chart? I've seen it before, but damned if I can find it when I need it. Also, I am welcoming color recommendations. I am thinking about painting the sails and Mahles to match. I know a lot of you will say go original, but I don't care for orange that much. Yellow is faster brigade, I hear you, but I am leaning towards a sky blue. Give me some input dudes, including pics of your car's color. This is a one time deal and I want to make a choice that I am both happy with and will not detract from the resale value. Talk to me!

What type of 2.0 twin turbo are you dropping in!
Plaindaner
QUOTE(porschecb @ Sep 16 2007, 08:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Plaindaner @ Sep 16 2007, 07:21 AM) *

What type of 2.0 twin turbo are you dropping in!

Dude, I'll let you know as soon as I know. Haven't laid eyes on it yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.