Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight Operations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HalM
I got the 914 back from my wrench 2 weeks ago and have been driving it in daylight only. This morning I leave earlier than normal and decide to turn on the headlights. The driver's side opens normally but the passenger side stays closed. I didn't really need them so I turned them off and continued my trip.

I got home about an hour ago and started troubleshooting as best I could. I checked all fuses and relays, including swapping in a known good relay. No joy.

The lights worked fine when it went to the shop. I know this because I had to replace a fuse I had kicked out by mistake one afternoon.

Any suggestions on what to do next? If I get in a bind, is there a way to manually open the light?

Any and all help is much appreciated.

Rand
I was going to suggest swapping the relays from side to side and see if the problem followed, but sounds like you already covered the relay test if you know for sure the one you swapped in is good.

Yes, there's an easy way to manually open the light: There's a knob on the back of the headlight motor you can turn.
stateofidleness
happened to me the other day, all i did was check the physical wires going into the connector and verified they were all nice in tight inside the connector. you might even try unplugging and plugging back in the connector. it worked for me
HalM
Thanks guys. Question about the relay: Is there a separate relay for each headlight?

I just tried checking the connector but that too failed to activate the headlight. The good news is that the knob does open it and the headlight is on.

Has the headlight motor been known to die with any frequency?
TINCAN914
QUOTE(HalM @ Sep 16 2007, 04:49 PM) *

Thanks guys. Question about the relay: Is there a separate relay for each headlight?

I just tried checking the connector but that too failed to activate the headlight. The good news is that the knob does open it and the headlight is on.

Has the headlight motor been known to die with any frequency?

Yes there is a seperate reply for each light.
THey are loacted next to the know you used to adjust the headlight. IS the pully spinning when you pull the knob to turn the lights on?
Just a thought, if it is perhaps the nut needs to be tightened that holds the arm to the pully.
HalM
TinCan, great pictures. I had no idea that there was a relay on each light. I was swapping the relays back in the engine compartment! sad.gif

The first time I swapped in another relay for the bad side of the car, the light came up. I then swapped in another relay and it worked ok the first test. but on the second test there was 5 second delay on closing. After that, no matter which relay I put on that side it failed to open.

I am going to the dealer tomorrow morning and buying a couple of relays and try them out.

Any other ideas are appreciated.
stateofidleness
where is this knob? hmm
TINCAN914

I wonder if it's not your wiring, especially if there was a delay.
Just a thought, there are others here much more qualified when it comes to the electrical system. Sorry can't help more..

QUOTE(HalM @ Sep 16 2007, 06:18 PM) *

TinCan, great pictures. I had no idea that there was a relay on each light. I was swapping the relays back in the engine compartment! sad.gif

The first time I swapped in another relay for the bad side of the car, the light came up. I then swapped in another relay and it worked ok the first test. but on the second test there was 5 second delay on closing. After that, no matter which relay I put on that side it failed to open.

I am going to the dealer tomorrow morning and buying a couple of relays and try them out.

Any other ideas are appreciated.

HalM
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Sep 16 2007, 07:29 PM) *

where is this knob? hmm

A black disk, about the size of a quarter, on what I believe to be the motor.

TinCan, thanks again for the help.
TINCAN914
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Sep 16 2007, 06:29 PM) *

where is this knob? hmm

On the dash, left side below the vent to turn the lights on.

In the picture below there is a knob to adjust the headlight manually, up and down.. Photo is not the best quality, but you get the idea.
ClayPerrine
A while back I wrote this...

How your headlight motors work.

It should help a bunch with troubleshooting. I can also help if you need it.

stateofidleness
QUOTE(TINCAN914 @ Sep 16 2007, 08:02 PM) *

QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Sep 16 2007, 06:29 PM) *

where is this knob? hmm

On the dash, left side below the vent to turn the lights on.

In the picture below there is a knob to adjust the headlight manually, up and down.. Photo is not the best quality, but you get the idea.

ahh ok.. i was like, i know where the ACTUAL switch is on the dash lol.. im gonna have to go look again for that manual knob

thanks for the picture!
HalM
The problem was the relay. Rhodyguy was great sending me a used but good one and the light now goes up and down like it should.

Thanks to all for the help! biggrin.gif
stateofidleness
i checked my headlight motors and there is no knob on the back of the two motors??
would that be the only way to manual raise the headlights?
Rand
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Sep 20 2007, 08:29 PM) *

i checked my headlight motors and there is no knob on the back of the two motors??
would that be the only way to manual raise the headlights?

Turning the motor is the way to raise the light. The knobs are removable. If yours are missing, you could probably find one around here. There's a threaded hole it screws into. In the mean time you may be able find a screw that fits the threads and get enough of a bite on it. Just keep screwing it in until it bottoms out and starts turning the motor. To lower the light you don't turn it backwards, just keep going and it cycles back down.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.