Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuilding the pedal cluster
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
So, while waiting for paint to dry, I figured I'd start rebuilding my pedal cluster. It needs it.

I have most of the stuff off, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to:
a ) remove the springs to the brake and clutch pedal return
b ) remove the actual brake and clutch pedals

How is it done? Is there a special tool used that I don't have?

I tried beer, but that not helping as much as it usually does. beer3.gif

Zach
burton73
Our friends at Pelican have it laid out. Beer will not help past the cleaning. This one can hurt your fingers if you add to much beer.

Bob

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/M...dal_cluster.htm
TINCAN914
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/M...dal_cluster.htm

See if this helps...
I just did mine a bit of advice, MORE BEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Eric_Shea
Your friends here have it laid out as well... wink.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=32578
PeeGreen 914
I think you just need a little more beer lube Zach. You will get it eventually biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 16 2007, 11:11 PM) *

Your friends here have it laid out as well... wink.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=32578

I guess I used the wrong search terms. I tried "rebuild pedal cluster" and got nothing. Tried it w/o the quotes and found, well, just about every post on this board.

Awesome write up. between that and the Pelican tech artical, I should be in good shape.

Well, tuesday, at any rate, which is the next day I'll have free to work on the car.

Zach
rjames
Having a friend who works at a machine shop doesn't hurt when tring to take it apart. I broke my work bench vice trying to get that stupid roll pin out.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(rjames @ Sep 17 2007, 09:44 AM) *

Having a friend who works at a machine shop doesn't hurt when tring to take it apart. I broke my work bench vice trying to get that stupid roll pin out.

Thats not very promising.
I should have started soaking it in penetrating oil last night. if i rememebr after I get home from classes tonight I'll do that. of course, by the time I get home from classes, I'll have been working my brain for 15 hours straight.

Zach
Phoenix914
I had a hard time with that roll pin too. After much cursing and banging, it finally came out. Then someone told me a secret . . . use a torch to head the damn thing. Makes life a lot easier.
Cevan
I also used a torch. blowtorch.gif The trick is to heat the metal around the pin to expand it but not the pin. Once that's done, the rest was easy.
VaccaRabite
Will a regular propane torch work, or will I need to buy a MAP torch?

Zach
Eric_Shea
You need to buy a MAPP torch because you have a 914 not because you need to get your clutch pedal off. wink.gif

MAPP would be best. It is difficult if not impossible to heat one and not the other (you'll see what I mean). What heat does is snap the bond that lies between the two metals making it easier to get them apart (sometimes).

A MAPP torch is the best $40 you will spend on tools. "ANY" time you're looking at a rusty bolt or nut and you're afraid you might strip a head etc.; MAPP it and use the proper tools... you and your car will be happier.
Eric_Shea
Another thing on roll pins. They are an absolute "breeze" to get out if you have air tools.

Put a pointed bit in the air hammer and get it started. Finish the job with a 1/8" drift. This has worked "every" time without fail. The pin will be out in less than 30 seconds.

More food for thought:

The screwdriver under the clutch arm (as mentioned in the PP article) "never" works in this situation. You will only bend and mangle your pedal stop support (the one that is clearly bent and mangled in photo #11) Not panning on the article, it's very complete. This section is just wrong IMO.
JimSar
To rebuild mine, I used a tool that every 914 already owner owns: a checkbook. smile.gif Payee was PMB Performance, never regretted the decision. Thanks again, Eric_Shea.
-Jim
Eric_Shea
wink.gif
KenH
Save the pin - the one in my kit was too big!!

Ken
VaccaRabite
Well, I literally heated the tar out of it over the weekend. I got nothing but high on the fumes. I don't have an air hammer or a drill press. So, I dropped the cluster off at my FLAPS tht has a press and a machinist. Should get it back this week to finish cleaning it and do the rebuild.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.