Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning up all the little things.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JOE M
Click to view attachmentO.k I am trying to put some of the finishing touches on my 1.7. In order to make it street leagl there are some things it needs. The last thing I stumbled across was my windshield washer. For some reason it does not work. I cant seem to find a pump in the car that is tied back to the tank but I did find some sort of air line hose that is just dangling in the front trunk compartment. I think this is the missing part to why it does not work. Anybody know where it goes and what it does? Thanks.

sixnotfour
It goes to your spare tire. No pump , just compressed air.

Dont be suprised if water leaks near the steering colum once you hook it up.
JOE M
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 24 2007, 03:36 AM) *

It goes to your spare tire. No pump , just compressed air.

Dont be suprised if water leaks near the steering colum once you hook it up.

So what is the purpose and how does it work. Oh by the way I dont have a spare.
sixnotfour
Air in the spare pressurizes the bottle filled with fluid ,pushing it through the lines to the switch(where it may leak) then to the nozzles spraying the windshield.
Your gonna need a spare.
lotus_65
anyone put the AA washer kit in?

aa washer kit

$245. seemed expensive. anyone have alternatives?

paul
Bartlett 914
I did mine a long time ago. I got a pump from my FLAPS pretty cheap. My car is a 75. I found a contact for the washer in the steering column switch. I simply wired that one in and ran tubing. If you go this route, be sure that the filler cap for the washer fluid has a hole to let in air or it won't work properly. I think if the washer switch in the steering column is missing, it can be modified. Either that or a separate switch wired in somewhere else.
Cevan
Surprise! My leaked near the steering column as well. When you activate the washer fluid at the stalk, does it open a mechanical type valve inside the column or does is activate a solenoid which opens a valve? As I recall from my dearly departed '74, there were two washer fluid lines running into the column.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Cevan @ Sep 24 2007, 06:45 AM) *

Surprise! My leaked near the steering column as well. When you activate the washer fluid at the stalk, does it open a mechanical type valve inside the column or does is activate a solenoid which opens a valve? As I recall from my dearly departed '74, there were two washer fluid lines running into the column.

Tiny valve in the column. No solenoid! I think the valve at the spare tire is designed to not let the spare tire go below a certain pressure.
ruddyboys
Sir Andy madea great step by step thread on how to add a pump, do a search, has a lot of great (for Andy) pics
watsonrx13
Here's the link to SirAndy's write up...

-- Rob
Cevan
Has anyone done an electric pump conversion that still uses the wiper stalk and not a separate switch?
Spoke
I changed my washer arm to actuate a microswitch. Others have done the same with different switches and there's even a Porsche switch solution from a 924/928 that will work.

Check this link. Electric Switch Conversion

Spoke
JOE M
Click to view attachment

I think I am going to tackle the electric pump approach. I have a 12 volt pump from work that I can try and also some switches. I need to bench test the pump and see if it puts out enough volume. So far it seems good. Not sure which switch to use(simple black round momentary or the red or black with an led). Hmmmm.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(JOE M @ Sep 24 2007, 09:48 AM) *

Click to view attachment

I think I am going to tackle the electric pump approach. I have a 12 volt pump from work that I can try and also some switches. I need to bench test the pump and see if it puts out enough volume. So far it seems good. Not sure which switch to use(simple black round momentary or the red or black with an led). Hmmmm.

What year is your car? Mine is a 75 and there was a usable contact for washing pump operation.
lotus_65
smile.gif
thanks e'ryone!
orthobiz
Check out the classifieds. I just listed an electric conversion wiper switch from my old 1974.

Paul
JOE M
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Sep 24 2007, 11:33 AM) *

QUOTE(JOE M @ Sep 24 2007, 09:48 AM) *

Click to view attachment

What year is your car? Mine is a 75 and there was a usable contact for washing pump operation.

72` 1.7. I did not have time last night because I was installing my new shift bushings. I got sidetracked so I will need to finish up the bushings tonight and than tackle the pump. I bench tested the pump and it seems to have good pressure. I think it may work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.