Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Oil leak at the shifter console
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
purple
Hey Guys, I have yet another issue in this little car... who knew something so simple could have so much go wrong on it?

I have noticed lately that every time I go for a ride, however short, after I park there is a small oil slick under the car. Looks like about a capful of oil comes out of the transmission at the shifter console, as far as I can tell.

The angle drive has a drip too, but it's not major, the console has what I think is the major leak. The wierd part though is that the drip from the angle drive is nasty black oil, and the stuff from what I think is the console is nice and new looking, like the engine oil....wait a minute... shit, i have an engine oil leak now too i guess

anyway, if it's nasty black oil from the angle drive, and i can see nasty black oil off the console, that's tranny oil, right?

The cleanish oil is from the engine. That means i've got a big engine oil leak?

Shit

Well, i was going to replace the oil seal at the shifter console, anyone have any advice on this? Thanks!
Dr Evil
Stinky = tranny. It has a distinct odor.

There are 2 seals to consider on the shift console. One is an o-ring that goes around the console where it sets into the tranny case. If the oil is leaking out past this seal then the oil will not accumulate int eh cup (if you still have on) over the console. The other place where oil will leak form is the seal around the shaft in the console.

The O-ring for the speedo drive is an easy fix. Do a search for the thread that we all contributed to for more info on the angle drive leak.
lotus_65
most of these cars leak!
keep wiping it clean to trace the leaks. you have a sideshift tranny?
you'll have to drain the gear oil out of the box to fix the seals, so fix them all.
check the bottom drain plug for excessive metal shards. replace oil with stinky swepco 201.
be careful with the angle drive mount screw, it may already be stripped like mine was. if that's the case you'll need to thread cert it. fix the o-rings there and you should be done with the gearbox.
then find the rest of the issues.
pfb
lotus_65
you don't need me, the doctor is in!
biggrin.gif
purple
As far as I can tell, the leak is coming out around the rod. The leak is only maybe a drop or two every time I drive it, and I do NOT have the cup that covers that stuff installed, I'm waiting to put the new bushings in.

I just wonder If I need to even bother because it looks like a whole lot of work for 1 drip of oil once every two weeks.

The oil on my garage floor is more clear, like engine oil.

I'm replacing the pushrod tube seals soon anyway, so hopefully that gets it waxed out.
I'll be going under the car with a bucket of simple green and carb cleaner and taking the oil and gunk off that whole area, sound like a good idea as far as the cleaners are concerned?
lotus_65
i'd fix it, but that's me.
for sure obtain a cap. that's likely why the bushing has worn out.

maybe wear some swim goggles and a cheap mask when upside down cleaning. not so much for health reasons, but to reduce the annoyance factor of gunk and all flying around. you'll need a couple stiff bristled nylon brushes in a couple lengths. compressed air would be nice too.
ph34r.gif
purple
I already ordered the seal lotus, so I'm going to replace it. It's just pressing out the roll pin that's the issue for me.

Good call on the goggles Lotus, if i didnt wear glasses i'd do that instead of the safety goggle things. I remember pulling the belly pan to put rack spacers and getting a face full of road gunk and spider nests...not cool.

Good call on the nylon brushes too. I have compressed air quite available from my measly little air compressor, a massive 2 gal unit!
It runs my impact wrench for short spurts, so it's not all bad.

Does simple green do the trick down there? or should i consider some other cleaners?
I have the cap, and the little boot that goes on the cap is coming from JWEST
lotus_65
cool.
yea, simple green and brake cleaner with a little air... sounds like the ticket.

i pressed everything out/in on the bench with no real trouble, so i wouldn't worry about that.

good luck! biggrin.gif
purple
Alright, thanks!

I'll try to take some before & after pics if I can swing my camcorder around under there, it looks pretty grimy down there at the present
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.