Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: generator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yellow1
Hi , my generator light came on so i need to get a new 1.I have looked online at flaps and they have 2 types listed 1 has an external regulator, can someone help me out tell me the 1 i need for my car i am a newb and will have my mechanic install it for me.my car is a 76 2.0 FI.Thx
davep
Ah, well, you should have an alternator, not a generator to start with. The original has an external regulator that plugs into the relay panel. See this thread for VERY important information before you fry everything!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=5913
jaybird840
ar15.gif HIJACK!!!

OK, is it an ALTERNATOR or a GENERATOR?????? Everything in the car is marked "gen" as in... generator. All of the ads for new ones say "alternator." So, help a brotha out, and lemme know. Thx headbang.gif
Rand
It is an alternator for sure, not a generator. Why the idiot light in the dash is still marked with "G," and other references to "gen," I don't know.

Also note: If your light comes on, that means a problem somewhere in the charging circuit. Don't automatically assume it is the alternator! It's usually something else, and most often something cheaper... Like dirty wiring connections, voltage regulator, etc. So do some troubleshooting before just replacing the alternator!!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 2 2007, 02:56 PM) *

It is an alternator for sure, not a generator.

WRONG! biggrin.gif

see, them little 914s were made in germany and the german word for alternator is "Generator" ...

hence the (G) light in your gauge!
bye1.gif Andy
Rand
Ok, it is interlingual semantics then. laugh.gif
My definition was based on the American meaning.... It produces alternating current. bye1.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 2 2007, 03:10 PM) *

Ok, it is interlingual semantics then. laugh.gif
My definition was based on the American meaning.... It produces alternating current. bye1.gif

yes. wait for it ... wait for it ... wait for it ...

you could easily re-phrase that into:

"it (G)enerates alternating current"

see where this is heading?
biggrin.gif Andy
Rand
laugh.gif
Ok, that explains the G-spot. Thanks Andy.
beerchug.gif

But, yellow1, don't jump to the conclusion that because your light is on that your alternator (which (G)enerates AC) is bad. smile.gif
And jaybird840, don't go to an American parts house asking for a generator. smile.gif

laugh.gif
yellow1
QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 2 2007, 03:19 PM) *

laugh.gif
Ok, that explains the G-spot. Thanks Andy.
beerchug.gif

But, yellow1, don't jump to the conclusion that because your light is on that your alternator (which (G)enerates AC) is bad. smile.gif
And jaybird840, don't go to an American parts house asking for a generator. smile.gif

laugh.gif
Thx for all the advice ,i might have caused it to fail i just purchased the car and had problems starting the car so i jumped the car 2 or 3 times with jumper cables.I did not know u are not supposed to do that with this car.Thx
Rand
...so i jumped the car 2 or 3 times with jumper cables.I did not know u are not supposed to do that with this car

I didn't know that either. laugh.gif
Why can't you jump start a 914?
confused24.gif
Dave_Darling
The listing in the most common parts book is wrong, BTW. The starter you want has part number "SR17X", and might (I forget) be listed as a starter for an automatic VW 411 or some such. It ain't; the 17 is the right one.

It's also available mail-order from your favorite places. (Mine is in my sig, below.)

--DD
eg914
A good place to find an alternator is at the local VW shop.
yellow1
I stuck my hand where the alternator is and found out the belt was not there.I went to flaps and purchased a new belt.I took my car to my local shop, the young mechanic never saw or heard of this car .anyway when he looked under the car he was able to see the alternator so i guess i am missing a cover that goes there.he did not know how to remove the peice that covers the the fan ,so he just pryed it out a little and he found the old belt had slipped off.what happend then is there was a smog pump pully and brackets and since he did know how to remove or just did not want to do it he replaced the old belt he thought the motor had to be removed to get to the other pulley .The owner of the shop was cool and did not charge me since i am a long time customer of his .So 2 days later the belt came of again, so can some 1 tell me how to remove that peice in front of the fan so i can bring it back and tell the guy what to do to get to the job done right . just had a look at haynes and it looks like the only way it would come out would be from the top is this correct.also is the missing peice nessessory and if so where can i find 1 .thx
eg914
If I remember from my last go at this, part 1 stays on the engine, and part 2 comes off. You can remove all the screws, and work the piece out from the bottom without removing the engine. You may have to remove the wye shaped heater duct and the heater flap. It takes a little fussing, but is not too hard to do.
wertygrog
well if it's a matter of the belt slipping off, then the tension probably justs needs to be adjusted...and to do that I think you just pull of the little black oval-ish cap on the engine tin, loosen up an allen bolt, and pry the thing snug before tightening the allen bolt...alternator doesn't need to come out. drunk.gif
Project 6
Dave is right on the starter, but you can also use the SR68X that the 911s use. 1.5 hp (it's MORE HP beer.gif ) and you can find them in larger supply.

Be advised that there are NO new starters and all are being rebuilt. So keep your cores if you can, try to use local rebuilders and ask them to replace the borderline components. Some rebuilders just fix the obvious and slap a coat of paint on them.

Using local rebuilders allows you to go back and smack them around if they screw them up. The local FLAPS guys just stare at you like ter an idjut and give you another POS to put in then fails one day after the warranty. YOU DO get to use the little "get a free tow" card. But getting stranded is not my idea of fun.

BTDT, got the tee shirt to prove it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.