Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: chassis brace option?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pffft
Could something like this be done for 914s?
Flyin Miata frame brace

patrick
TravisNeff
Engmans kit does the same thing.
andys
What I find attractive about this frame brace, is that it is a bolt-in solution, which avoids the pitfalls of a welded-in structure. Additionally unlike the popular 914 scab plate concept, this brace utilizes a formed structural shape for improved rigidity per unit weight. I think it's interesting, and spawns alternative design ideas.

Thanks for sharing,

Andys
stateofidleness
i, too, love the fact that it is bolt-in as opposed to weld-in

im trying hard to think how there could be a bolt-in solution for the 914 though...
pffft
It is the bolt in possibility that interests me most. There are formed chassis rails
and then cross pieces. I certainly don't have any way of producing something like
this, but I would really consider using one if they were available.

Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
Yes, I think that would be very interesting, and no the Engman kit does not do the same thing. Plus, having it be something you can bolt on would be a cool addition.
grantsfo
Part of what makes these so effective on the Miata is the structure is triangulating the transmission tunnel. On 914 it would just be reinforcing existing floor pan and probably be less effective. Still worth exploring however.
TravisNeff
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Oct 4 2007, 01:34 PM) *

Yes, I think that would be very interesting, and no the Engman kit does not do the same thing. Plus, having it be something you can bolt on would be a cool addition.

I disagree. The engman kits makes a box on the frame (well 3/4 of a box), true his kit does not make an X across the middle - but it attaches to the frame rail to box the section. Glorified subframe connectors if you like, it's been around for years.
URY914
The Miata brace creates a box section by enclosing the bottom of the tranny tunnel. It become somewhat like the old Lotus Elan which has a "backbone".

Adding an x-brace to the bottom of our cars will do very little.
brer
I had an idea once. Kinda like this, but using prestressed members laminated in carbon fiber that would run down the ouside of each long in the rocker area and wrap under the rear area as a subframe, while also attaching to the forward suspension mounts. It was just a thought though. Way beyond my experience.
Katmanken
Just make a tall tranny tunnel to mimic the Lotus backbone.

The Lotus also hangs the suspension from the backbone. Colin Chapman was a nut for minimalistic lightweight structures.

Ken
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Oct 4 2007, 02:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Oct 4 2007, 01:34 PM) *

I disagree. The engman kits makes a box on the frame (well 3/4 of a box), true his kit does not make an X across the middle - but it attaches to the frame rail to box the section. Glorified subframe connectors if you like, it's been around for years.

Don't get me wrong Travis. I like the Engamn kit, and I am about to weld it in my car next month. The thing about this brace that has the strength is in the trianglation. As stated by others, it would be kinda pointless on the 914 as our car has a flat bottom already. Adding strength to ours like the engman kit will help to make our cars a little stiffer, but you have to weld it in as opposed to this bolt in application.
andys
There are some things about that Miata stiffener that perhaps doesn't suit the 914, but the product they call "FM frame rail reinforcement kit" http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid...number=13-69010
may have some merit. Two bolt in longitudinal hat sections similar to these could greatly enhance stiffness with a bot-in scheme if configured properly.

The Engman kit looks to solve many of these same issues in a different way. The lower firewall brace portion looks to help tie-in "the box". If there was a way to do something similar in the front (bulkhead) as well, then it seems that would help complete the structure.

It's always interesting to look at alternative ideas.

Andys
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 4 2007, 04:13 PM) *

The Miata brace creates a box section by enclosing the bottom of the tranny tunnel. It become somewhat like the old Lotus Elan which has a "backbone".

Adding an x-brace to the bottom of our cars will do very little.

agree.gif
The 914 was designed as a sports car by one of THE sports car houses. We have an actual enclosed tunnel whereas the others have an opened-bottom tunnel so ours is naturally stiffer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.