Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How interchangeable are the targa tops year to year?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
ScooterD
I own a '73 and a '74, both with the original tops, but they are in no way interchangeable with one another. I thought this was kind of unusual only being 15 months apart in production dates. The '73 was made in 9/72 and the '74 was made in 12/73. Being very curious, I have two friends who have 914's, one a '73 and the other a '74. The one with the '73 is less than 100 serial numbers away from my car (probably made on the same day), his top will fit on my '73 but not on my '74. The friend with the '74, his top will fit on my '74 but not the '73. When the later top is fitted to the earlier car, there is a large (~6-8mm) gap on the drivers side directly above the sail panel. It appears that either the fiberglass top was adjusted the fit the sheetmetal for that particular production year car or visa versa.

One of Murphy's laws is: Interchangeable parts aren't!

Does anybody else have any experience with top interchangeability or lack of?

orange914
i always thought they were all interchangable... we've had 2 drivers and 3 parts cars but all of which are 73 and down. it does seem to stand out to me that 73 seemed to be a changing point in alot of ways confused24.gif

mike
jd74914
I was pretty sure that they weren't the same, but both styles should fit your car. We have a bunch of tops and 3 cars (70,72,74) and the tops all interchange screwy.gif
pin31
According to Dr. B. Johnson's book:

"A major change in the top was made mid-year 1973 at chassis number 473 292 6222. Alterations were made to the top, headliner, front mounting area and rear seal to reduce squeaking and increase sealing.

The front top mount consisted of two toggle-type latches on the top, while the rear latch mechanisms were on the roll bar. These rear latches had black steel bases from 1970 through 1974 and black plastic bases in 1975 and 1976. The side and rear weatherstrips were mounted on the top with the front seal on the windshield frame. Side seals were changed only once, between the 1973 and 1974 model years. this consisted the addition of an extra lip for better sealing. The rear rear seal change was mentioned above. Both rear seal and side seals involved only minor revisions, and the later seals can be used on early cars."

Hope this helps....

Tim
kenschipper
Someone (don't remember who but McMark may) took a bunch of pictures of the variations in tops over the years at the WCR in Santa Rosa. Mine (70 914/6) was significantly different from later tops and we saw at least 4 distinct tops.

Ken Schipper
McMark
It was Paul Sayegh (PRS914-6).

There are significant manufacturing differences between the early and late tops. As to fitment, the just is still out.

Here's the thread which details all the differences.
SirAndy
i have a late top on my early ('70) car and i never got it to seal right. it fits, as in i can latch it down, but the seals just don't line up right with the door glas etc. ...

the two version are significantly different ...
bye1.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.