Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Holy Mouse Turds Robin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wilhelm
Just spent 2 afternoons running through my to do list fixing all the little things that needed to be done to be functional for my latest 1970 fixer upper.

1. New battery; Tray has surface rust, hell hole is OK!
2. New door handle: Busted flap
3. Parking brake: Tightened cables. Spent a frustrating hour or two trying to figure out what made the pawl engage on the ratchet; gravity, inertia of whipping the handle back, my good looks, missing phantom spring. Finally became so frustrated I machined a pin into the pawl and handle and spanned them with a spring and thus now have a satisfying click, click as the handle is pulled up.
4. New cable for the thermostat; pretty amazing how the engine doesn't stink like its too rich when it actually warms up!
5. No heat; Ran fingers over the heat exchanges and discovered they were non existant. What to do? Scrounged through my junk pile found good heat exchangers that have literally lay out side in the Oregon rain for 10 winters that were in good shape. Put these on with the 5000 or so odd nuts and bolts without breaking an exhaust stud and took it for a test drive. Around 4000 rpm a typoon of dehydrated mouse turds, lint, assorted crap started blowing out the defroster vents covering me head to toe in this vile mess. The good news is I have heat.
PeeGreen 914
blink.gif icon8.gif barf.gif That's discusting. Hope it is all out now.
stephenaki
Had a similar problem with a 79 MG I was working on, couldn't figure out why heat only came out of the driver side. Went over and opened up the vent on the passenger side and took off the flap and a whole bunch of mouse turds fell out.

Further inspection revealed a well established nest further up in the air hose that had to be cleaned out. Didn't get covered with the turds as you unfortunately did.
TravisNeff
snacks galore
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.